Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Series: WSH Leads Toronto 3gms to 2 #WeGotThis

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We need a statement game, win or lose. We were awful in Game 4. We've bounced back very well from bad games this season, so I hope the trend continues.

We need a far better effort from the Bozak line. They cannot continue to be dominated 5 on 5. Bozak in particular seems super slow and weak on the puck... I still think he's got a groin injury but if he isn't injured, he's capable of much much better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We need a statement game, win or lose. We were awful in Game 4. We've bounced back very well from bad games this season, so I hope the trend continues.

We need a far better effort from the Bozak line. They cannot continue to be dominated 5 on 5. Bozak in particular seems super slow and weak on the puck... I still think he's got a groin injury but if he isn't injured, he's capable of much much better.

he's been playing like that for a month he is CLEARLY injured

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
My heart wants the Leafs to dominate tonight and make a statement starting in the first period.

My brain is telling me that vezina trophy winner is going to steal a game tonight.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My heart wants the Leafs to dominate tonight and make a statement starting in the first period.

My brain is telling me that vezina trophy winner is going to steal a game tonight.

I don't think he is, I think they can get to him, I know they can they have

we need a standout game from Andersen

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Andersen definitely needs to make up for the couple softies he let in, but the team can't let up 15+ shots and give up a boat load of high scoring chances in a period. That 1st period on Wednesday was pretty gross.

What the Leafs need to do is stop their cycle and find a way to clear the puck out of the zone without turning it over about 50 times in a shift or two.

Help out the goaltender a little.

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Just play like we did in the third periods of games 3 and 4 and we'll be fine.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont

Allot of our goals are the results of lucky bounces. Surely their is going to be a game in this serious where we get no bounces and must earn every goal, as such that's where Holtby will have a shot at stealing a game.

I think that might be tonight.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Just play like we did in the third periods of games 3 and 4 and we'll be fine.

Play like we did in games 1 and 2, and we at least give ourselves a shot.

Our road efforts in this series have been far better than our home efforts.

And that might not even be enough - you get the sense that the Capitals have finally woken up

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If we play good road game, make it boring for them we will be fine

There are players in this team knows they have to be better and I am sure Babs has reminded them

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

And that might not even be enough - you get the sense that the Capitals have finally woken up

Correction YOU get that sense I can tell you I sure as hell don't

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

The Caps woke up and still only won 5-4? Lol

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
The Caps woke up and still only won 5-4? Lol

Regardless, the Leafs need to actually remember how to pass in this game. Also, get out of the D zone ffs, without 10 attempts. Whether the Caps are awake or not, we simply can't display that game 4 effort (not in the slightest).

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I don't think we'll be lucky enough again to score 2 goals on 6 shots again while being stuck in our zone for almost 2 periods.

That's how I'm feeling.

We will know in the first ten minutes if the Leafs want this or if they want to play passengers, content with what they've already accomplished in the playoffs...

They are rookies so I'm not really concerned either way. They need to grow and learn and that takes time and experience.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
What the Leafs need to do is stop their cycle and find a way to clear the puck out of the zone without turning it over about 50 times in a shift or two.

Once they start cycling the puck you cannot stop them. Especially without Polak.
We need to avoid their cycle completely by outskating them. We are capable of it, we are a fast team, we just need to skate all the time. Once we stop skating we are done.

So move those legs boys!

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
Leafs are doing amazing well in holding their own

If you look at this objectively; if the Leafs play to the best of their current ability and the Caps play to the best of their current ability then the Caps win easily. They are much further ahead in terms of their experience, skill development and overall team make-up than we are. They are built to win now, we are built to win in 2-3 years.

The leafs are ahead of the timeline to get competitive but they are not currently in Washington's league:
1. Playoff experience (check how many playoff games the Caps players have been involved in versus the Leafs) it's something like 600+ games to 100+ games experience. That's huge
2. Dmen. Only 3 legit dmen Rielly (banged up), Gardiner and Zaitsev (banged up). Caps have a strong dmen corps (team allowed the least amount of goals all year).
3. Star power: Oshie/Backstrom/Ovie is as good a line as there is in the league. I like where our stars will be in 1-2 years but right now it's learning curve and kids have to become physically stronger (which they will). Their defense can shoot the puck hard (most of them); ours outside of Gardiner, don't. That's a big difference in my opinion
4. Men vs Boys in many cases. We have 7-8 rookies playing and some haven't fully developed physicall yet e.g. Marner.
4. Intangibles: Caps have experience, have known what it feels like to lose and to win already. Leafs are in unfamiliar territory; learning as they go with 7-8 rookies playing regular shifts

I love this team and we are going to be team to be reckon with as they grow and develop together. This is all gravy right now.

But then again................................you never know:)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Win or lose, we've got this!

Just play your best and develop into a team of winners for the future!

This series is the best thing for our rookies IMHO.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just start on time ffs! Starting the game in the 2nd period down by 2 or 3 goals is killing us. Just come out with a fire under your ass and skate.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Once they start cycling the puck you cannot stop them. Especially without Polak.
We need to avoid their cycle completely by outskating them. We are capable of it, we are a fast team, we just need to skate all the time. Once we stop skating we are done.

So move those legs boys!

Yup, this is all it comes down to. They need to skate with a purpose. Gives everyone passing options to quickly get out of the zone and move down ice. Game 4 they were floating around and it allowed the Caps to play their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad