Playoff Race Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I like Keefe's strategy to play his horses early in order to get the lead but I am starting to think that he needs to limit Tavares' minutes. He's looked gassed late in many games and especially in OT.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I like Keefe's strategy to play his horses early in order to get the lead but I am starting to think that he needs to limit Tavares' minutes. He's looked gassed late in many games and especially in OT.
To an extent, I agree. But Tavares has been a horse playing 20 minutes a night for most of his career. 30 seconds more per game this year than last, but this is still less than he ever played for the Islanders after his 2nd year. IMO, Tavares' issues this years exist solely between his ears.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Columbus will probably beat the Jets tonight so we likely will be 4 points out of a playoff spot once we get back from the break. Grr!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is the unfortunate position we're in after letting Babcock muck about for 20 games. Even after a great streak, one slip up and we're on the outside looking in. Leafs don't have the luxury of going on a losing streak and still being comfortably in a playoff spot. Gotta get back on the horse once the break is over.

It made so much sense to just fire Babcock in April last year but we likely have Tanenbaum to thank for Babcock ruining the first quarter of our season (he was likely the one lobbying to keep Babcock for as long as we did). Keeping a coach around who the players tuned out is so stupid.

Silly politics are the reason we're in such a tense playoff race. I have no doubt in my mind it would be a far different picture if we started the year with Keefe and got a full training camp with him.

So hard to be a fan of this team sometimes. Only in Leafland would stupid shit like that happen.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It made so much sense to just fire Babcock in April last year but we likely have Tanenbaum to thank for Babcock ruining the first quarter of our season (he was likely the one lobbying to keep Babcock for as long as we did). Keeping a coach around who the players tuned out is so stupid.

Silly politics are the reason we're in such a tense playoff race. I have no doubt in my mind it would be a far different picture if we started the year with Keefe and got a full training camp with him.

So hard to be a fan of this team sometimes. Only in Leafland would stupid **** like that happen.

7 Coaches have been fired this season, so it happened to at least 6 other teams.

I do agree though. Babcock's awful start is what put the Leafs in this situation.

The good thing is if Keefe's current PTS % continues the Leafs should definitely make playoffs.

Reactions: I Believe

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
7 Coaches have been fired this season, so it happened to at least 6 other teams.

I do agree though. Babcock's awful start is what put the Leafs in this situation.

The good thing is if Keefe's current PTS % continues the Leafs should definitely make playoffs.

Yes but of those 6 other teams how many was it clear that this should have happened in the off-season?

Let's go over the firings.

Bill Peters, was not getting fired in the off-season after just one year even if the flamed out in the first round.
John Hynes, Devils have been shit for a while and were supposed to be shit again this year, can't really blame them for not firing him in the off-season
Jim Montgomery doesn't count, he was fired for non-hockey reasons
Peter DeBoer, San Jose made the conference finals, that was enough to grant him another year.
Peter Lavoiolette, Nashville were division winners, lost in the first round a year after being President's Trophy winners and two years after reaching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, again likely earned one more year.
Gerard Gallant, this one surprised everyone.

Babcock lost in the 1st round for the 3rd straight year this time with very questionable decision making (Hyman taking a faceoff on the PP with a busted knee, Matthews playing only 17 minutes in game 7). He should have been shown the door after they were eliminated last year.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yes but of those 6 other teams how many was it clear that this should have happened in the off-season?

Let's go over the firings.

Bill Peters, was not getting fired in the off-season after just one year even if the flamed out in the first round.
John Hynes, Devils have been **** for a while and were supposed to be **** again this year, can't really blame them for not firing him in the off-season
Jim Montgomery doesn't count, he was fired for non-hockey reasons
Peter DeBoer, San Jose made the conference finals, that was enough to grant him another year.
Peter Lavoiolette, Nashville were division winners, lost in the first round a year after being President's Trophy winners and two years after reaching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, again likely earned one more year.
Gerard Gallant, this one surprised everyone.

Babcock lost in the 1st round for the 3rd straight year this time with very questionable decision making (Hyman taking a faceoff on the PP with a busted knee, Matthews playing only 17 minutes in game 7). He should have been shown the door after they were eliminated last year.

I'm in agreement with you, they should have got rid of him before the season started.

Shanny thought the team showed some progress (from 2 years ago). I think that's valid, because they did have the lead going into Game 6.

All I'm saying is I'm sure each one of those teams who have fired their coach (Except Montgomery, good call above), in hindsight would have liked to fire them before the season.

They all took a stab to bring them back and realized they screwed up. It's not just the Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't feel like the stars are aligning for the Leafs to make it to the playoffs this year. They usually win on their offensive firepower which is what gets neutralized down the stretch. They have significant injuries to contend with, and there's just a traffic jam of teams ahead of us hitting their stride. So many factors at play. And they've already gone on a 10 game heater in December. Is it reasonable to expect another 10-0-1 run?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Doesn't feel like the stars are aligning for the Leafs to make it to the playoffs this year. They usually win on their offensive firepower which is what gets neutralized down the stretch. They have significant injuries to contend with, and there's just a traffic jam of teams ahead of us hitting their stride. So many factors at play. And they've already gone on a 10 game heater in December. Is it reasonable to expect another 10-0-1 run?
I think the leafs can do it, if goaltending normalizes I feel another heater coming on.....

Reactions: leafsfan5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the leafs can do it, if goaltending normalizes I feel another heater coming on.....

I hope they make it, but it's been hard to buy in this year. The balance doesn't feel right, the chemistry is on and off, maturity issues, cap strapped, rash of injuries and all in a year where we may lose our first rounder too. Just disappointed they haven't taken the next steps in developing as contenders.

Reactions: rubous and fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I hope they make it, but it's been hard to buy in this year. The balance doesn't feel right, the chemistry is on and off, maturity issues, cap strapped, rash of injuries and all in a year where we may lose our first rounder too. Just disappointed they haven't taken the next steps in developing as contenders.

They'll make it, but will be out in the first round. This is not a team built for playoffs. It's so clearly evident

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
During their 6 game losing streak when Babcock was finally fired they were a lot farther back in the standings, so I can see them making up 4 points on the Panthers and their current winning streak won't last the remainder of the season. Would I like to see the Leafs have another 10 game heater of course I would and maybe we will see a similar streak like that very soon.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
During their 6 game losing streak when Babcock was finally fired they were a lot farther back in the standings, so I can see them making up 4 points on the Panthers and their current winning streak won't last the remainder of the season. Would I like to see the Leafs have another 10 game heater of course I would and maybe we will see a similar streak like that very soon.

The Leafs were in this exact same spot when Babcock was fired.

And of course Columbus wins their 6th straight during the bye week.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

So hard to be a fan of this team sometimes. Only in Leafland would stupid **** like that happen.
I thought it was Brendan Shanahan who came out and said because of their performance in last years playoffs and getting to a Game 7 is why Babcock was not fired a lot earlier.

Besides that I completely agree that if Keefe was coaching them from the start of this season they would be in a much better position and there wouldn't have been any of that controversy like when Babcock made Jason Spezza a healthy scratch on opening night.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They usually win on their offensive firepower which is what gets neutralized down the stretch.
Why do people seem to have this idea that offense is completely useless down the stretch? If offense gets neutralized down the stretch (which is wildly exaggerated), then that happens for all teams, not just for us. And what's best for breaking through games in which offense has been neutralized? Star offensive weapons that can individually break through and score at any time.

The Leafs were in this exact same spot when Babcock was fired.
They weren't. They were boosted in placement by having more games than others.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The last 6 games or so... every team that needed to lose... won... and Leafs played pretty shitty... and they're only 4 points out.

It won't be an easy year to make it, but its still very doable.

Need a dman or 2 in a trade. Hopefully Muzzin is back right after the break too.

Leafs should bite the bullet and trade one of their wingers for a similar d man locked in for a bit. Who that is... I don't know.

And Andy needs to get back to around that 920 save percentage because he's been pretty bad lately. Also a better backup wouldn't hurt obviously.

Still time, but they once again need to string some wins together... and the games against Florida and Tampa that are left are big games.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
lol at all of this shit

This team is making the playoffs. Even with the atrocious injuries, and Andersen periodically forgetting how to play his position. This team has played very well over the past six games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad