Playoff Race/Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
5 points behind Boston with a game in hand and two head to heads plus they play tomorrow

Have a head to head matchup against Toronto too

Need to take care of the layup tomorrow though or I'm giving up.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5 points behind Boston with a game in hand and two head to heads plus they play tomorrow

Have a head to head matchup against Toronto too

Need to take care of the layup tomorrow though or I'm giving up.

It's not even a must win tomorrow, it's a should win or a better win, lol. Arizona is not good. They also played tonight.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If the Leafs just win 6 another games, which is barely above 50% win percentage, Tampa will need to win 8 or 9 of their remaining 11 games to overtake them.

Deep **** is an understatement, with Johnson, Paquette and Stamkos out of the lineup it's over IMO.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
If the Leafs just win 6 another games, which is barely above 50% win percentage, Tampa will need to win 8 or 9 of their remaining 11 games to overtake them.

Deep **** is an understatement, with Johnson, Paquette and Stamkos out of the lineup it's over IMO.

I think the loss to Toronto, IN TAMPA no less, was the final dagger. The next TO game won't matter if they keep winning and Tampa keeps losing.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think the loss to Toronto, IN TAMPA no less, was the final dagger. The next TO game won't matter if they keep winning and Tampa keeps losing.

With such a high win percentage needed to catch up, Tampa simply doesn't have control of its own destiny. Unless a major collapse from either Boston and Toronto it's impossible to make up so much ground in so few games. Even seeing them playing 50% hockey won't be enough, as it still asks us to win 9 of the last 11 games.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
With such a high win percentage needed to catch up, Tampa simply doesn't have control of its own destiny. Unless a major collapse from either Boston and Toronto it's impossible to make up so much ground in so few games. Even seeing them playing 50% hockey won't be enough, as it still asks us to win 9 of the last 11 games.

All things being even, they can still overtake Boston if they win their game in hand and both head to head matchups.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
All things being even, they can still overtake Boston if they win their game in hand and both head to head matchups

Tampa must win that game in hand, win both game in regulation and keep winning the rest of the way to stay ahead. That's very far from being even.

Let's say Boston loses both time to us in regulation, they'll still end up between 92 and 94 points just playing acceptably. We need to go 8-3 to obtain 93 points; Or 9-2 to reach 95 points.

Well, good luck with that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Our fate is no longer in our hands. Unless we win out, we NEED teams ahead of us to lose at least one game. It's over guys.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Pretty much safe to say that we're done...there's no way we can win that many games with that depleted line-up. Oh well, can't wait to see what Yzerman does in the off season.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Tampa must win that game in hand, win both game in regulation and keep winning the rest of the way to stay ahead. That's very far from being even.

Let's say Boston loses both time to us in regulation, they'll still end up between 92 and 94 points just playing acceptably. We need to go 8-3 to obtain 93 points; Or 9-2 to reach 95 points.

Well, good luck with that.

I didn't say it was even.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm firmly in the don't make the playoffs camp. We need to draft the best righty pmd available...wish a Honka type for the draft. I want these guys well rested and hungry for next year and I'm looking forward to watching the Syracuse run.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm firmly in the don't make the playoffs camp. We need to draft the best righty pmd available...wish a Honka type for the draft. I want these guys well rested and hungry for next year and I'm looking forward to watching the Syracuse run.

The two best righties are Liljegren and Makar both have questions and both might go top 10 which takes us out as we'll be closer to 14. Liljegren hasn't developed as well this year, his numbers aren't as good and his play has been questioned, there was talking he wasn't healthy most of the year. Makar plays in the AJHL, which I don't know what level that is in Canada, think it's like the BCHL which has produced many good players. He has the best offensive tools but the competition is weak. After that you have Foote but he's not an offensive defenseman, more in the mold of what we have an abundance of. Not sure where we go with this pick yet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The two best righties are Liljegren and Makar both have questions and both might go top 10 which takes us out as we'll be closer to 14. Liljegren hasn't developed as well this year, his numbers aren't as good and his play has been questioned, there was talking he wasn't healthy most of the year. Makar plays in the AJHL, which I don't know what level that is in Canada, think it's like the BCHL which has produced many good players. He has the best offensive tools but the competition is weak. After that you have Foote but he's not an offensive defenseman, more in the mold of what we have an abundance of. Not sure where we go with this pick yet.

Package Killorn and move up the draft, that way we can protect my boy Namestnikov.

Do we have to protect Dotchin at this point? If so we expose Garrison, Coburn and Sustr losing any of which would be beneficial, puts the Lightning in a pretty good spot considering everyone thought we were losing a star forward this year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Package Killorn and move up the draft, that way we can protect my boy Namestnikov.

Do we have to protect Dotchin at this point? If so we expose Garrison, Coburn and Sustr losing any of which would be beneficial, puts the Lightning in a pretty good spot considering everyone thought we were losing a star forward this year.

I don't think he's exempt. **** it - let's protect him and leave all of those D exposed. Maybe we get lucky and with Killorn, Garrison, and Coburn exposed, they take one of our bad contracts.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I don't think Killorn would be a piece to move from 14 to top 10, you don't really see players used to move up that early in the draft. Maybe Killorn + one of the 2nd's for a 1st in the late teens early 20's. Namestnikov is my boy, you can't have him.

Dotchin does need protection. He's looked alright but is still very unproven and not a sure fire top 4 guy. Koekkoek has a bit more experience but also not a sure fire top 4. Vegas will want a forward from us because they'll get better defenders on other teams.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think Killorn would be a piece to move from 14 to top 10, you don't really see players used to move up that early in the draft. Maybe Killorn + one of the 2nd's for a 1st in the late teens early 20's. Namestnikov is my boy, you can't have him.

Dotchin does need protection. He's looked alright but is still very unproven and not a sure fire top 4 guy. Koekkoek has a bit more experience but also not a sure fire top 4. Vegas will want a forward from us because they'll get better defenders on other teams.

Yes but by trading Killorn and exposing Names, we force them to take a defenseman no? They wouldn't pass up Coburn/Garrison/Sustr/Koekkoek for Brown and Paquette.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think he's exempt. **** it - let's protect him and leave all of those D exposed. Maybe we get lucky and with Killorn, Garrison, and Coburn exposed, they take one of our bad contracts.

Agreed, would be wizardry if Yzerman turns this expansion draft into a way to clear more bad contracts.

Killorn is very moveable but you'd have to move him before Jul 1. By protecting Namestnikov we take away any forwards worth selecting. And if they take Garrison Ohh boy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes but by trading Killorn and exposing Names, we force them to take a defenseman no? They wouldn't pass up Coburn/Garrison/Sustr/Koekkoek for Brown and Paquette.

They won't take Garrison or Coburn, current play isn't good enough for thier caphits, unless it's to flip for a forward. Losing Koekkoek is not a good idea, we need a replacement for Garrison because I believe we get rid of him one way or another this year. That leaves Sustr or Dotchin, both RD so could slot into their top 6 or be a trade chip. I guess we could live with losing either if we think Blujus can step in next year like Dotchin did this, I think he can because I think he's better than Dotchin. If we trade Killorn for a top 4 or close to it RD than we don't need both anyway so losing one is no issue.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Yes, thank you. Not only will Vegas have better D options, they won’t have many, if any, forwards as good as Killorn or Vlady to choose from that are exposed. The only way Vegas picks a Dman from us is if SY get Callahan to waive his NMC and both Killorn and Vlady are protected. Or, we trade a forward before the expansion draft.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think I didn't. I'm telling him why there was confusion. I wasn't the one that was confused.

If you understand the phrase, I don't know why there would be confusion. "all things being even" means that the variables outside of the subject are controlled. The subject is the manipulated variable....head to head and games in hand, which I explicitly stated we would need to win to take advantage of.

You are melding the manipulated and controlled variables together by saying that needing to win games in hand and head to head means that all things are not even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad