Line Combos: Playoff Lines

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's been difficult to really put combinations together that would work, and I think we have to abandon the idea of trying to create a shutdown line because it just leaves other areas too exposed. We'll have to put alternate combinations together situationally, but I think what I would like to see is:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Knies - Kampf - McMann

It spreads our 4 best defensive forwards (Matthews, Marner, Jarnkrok, Kampf) across the lines to help support the rest of the lineup. Top line has been hot, so might as well ride the wave. That allows us to stack up the 2nd line. Tavares can go to the net and Marner and Nylander can work their magic and get pucks inside. Nylander has history playing on that off side. Takes apart the dominant Matthews-Marner duo, but Matthews still has a playmaker in Domi, and Marner still has two of the best shots on the team to get passes to. They have been at 65.8 and 66.7 xGF% respectively.

In, the bottom six, we have Robertson's shot to drive the 3rd line, and we give him some familiarity and defensive support. Robertson-Holmberg have featured in a number of good line combinations and Robertson - Jarnkrok have featured in a number of good line combinations, so I think it could work. Kampf allows the big body wingers to forecheck and work down low. Knies has also shown an ability recently to individually elevate against lesser competition, so he could add some scoring pop, and both he and McMann have good shots.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Benoit/Edmundson

I tried to find the combinations that have worked best together, and spread out the talent. Rielly has familiarity with Lyubushkin, and they compliment each other's skillsets. They have a 56.6 xGF% together. McCabe-Liljegren have a 61.5 xGF%. This can ease some responsibility on Brodie. He's worked well with both Benoit and Edmundson, putting up good defensive results and a 70.6 xGF%. Benoit has been better for us this year, but Edmundson does have the experience.

Samsonov
Woll

Samsonov seems like our starter right now. He's had a bumpy few games recently but has generally been good since returning. He came up big in game 6 of the 1st round last year, and he deserves first shot. Woll has shown flashes and generally played well when he came in against our likely opponent last year, but he is still quite raw and has struggled a bit more recently. Murray potentially being available down the road is a wild card if he shows that he's healed. A big body goalie with cups and a lot of playoff experience.

I like this overall.

I'd probably go with Benoit-Edmunson on the third pairing though. Brodie sits, he's had issues this season. Edumunson provides some seasoned vet experience for Benoit. Benoit also provide some much needed physicality in a first round series against either Florida or Boston

Reactions: aingefan

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
It would be great if Domi could play an entire game and let Reaves do the punching.
images

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I like this overall.

I'd probably go with Benoit-Edmunson on the third pairing though. Brodie sits, he's had issues this season. Edumunson provides some seasoned vet experience for Benoit. Benoit also provide some much needed physicality in a first round series against either Florida or Boston
Brodie has defiitely had a down year, but it's also a bit exaggerated. He's still one of our 6 best defensemen, and also provides veteran experience. I don't think there's any chance he sits. My concern with Benoit-Edmundson would be that they haven't played together at all, and their skillsets and limitations are extremely similar. Moving the puck out of the zone may be a real issue, especially with the speed that Florida forechecks with. It is true that either series will likely be physical, though we'd still have one physical defenseman in each pairing to help clear the net.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Brodie has defiitely had a down year, but it's also a bit exaggerated. He's still one of our 6 best defensemen, and also provides veteran experience. I don't think there's any chance he sits. My concern with Benoit-Edmundson would be that they haven't played together at all, and their skillsets and limitations are extremely similar. Moving the puck out of the zone may be a real issue, especially with the speed that Florida forechecks with. It is true that either series will likely be physical, though we'd still have one physical defenseman in each pairing to help clear the net.

Valid points!

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So people think we wasted draft picks for Edmunson not to play?

I think he will play, but I also think he is our 7th best D.

He's not very good.

It's looking like we wasted picks on Dewar, I think he will get passed on the depth chart next year unless we move some guys out and he won't be a regular this year.

Not sure wasting picks on Edmundson is that far-fetched.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Game 1

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Nylander
Knies-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Brodie

Samsonov

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Bertuzzi and Domi aren't strong enough defensively to play on the top line.
You can have one or the other but not both.

Why do they need to be strong defensively to be there? Just use them in mostly offensive situations, and have the others lines take more defensive situations.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Game 1

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Knies-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Brodie

Samsonov
We will never leave the D zone with that defence. Who will move the puck?

Reactions: arso40

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da bruins are gonna gun for Rielly in game 1 .. da refs are not gonna call anything like in da embarrassing games a few years back .. he is gonna to consistently targeted on da dump in .. game plan will be to knock him out .. Keefer trust me and play Ed with him early in game .. he may need to eliminate Coyle from game early on with a vicious cross check .. this game is gonna be a war of worst kind .. it won't be much of a hockey game .. then things will settle down if Leafs respond properly .. however expect them to also target either Lily/Brodie whoever gets da 6th D role .. so make sure Reaves and/or Domi are on ice at same time .. boosh can't handle da fighting which will be required .. i just bought tickets and taking my brother in law .. my wife won't go after da REF debacle in Beantown a few years back so she can stay with her sister .. these refs are scared with Jacobs/Bettman consequences .. really unfortunate to have Bruins owner as board chair, and his gang, of NHL hiring/firing bettman

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Game 1

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Knies-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Brodie

Samsonov
No Liljergen?

In this current defensive makeup his mobility is crucial

Reactions: arso40

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Nobody wants Robertson in the playoff lineup? Bostons forward depth is weak, I think Robertson could pot a few lining up against something like a 3rd line of Heinen - Frederick - JVR. Holmberg is a good player but a 3rd liner should be able to score more than 17 pts.

Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Jarnkrok - Knies
Mcmann- Kampf- Holmberg
Dewar, Reaves

Defence is a bit of a trainwreck, need to pray that Rielly works well with Lyub enough not to get caved in vs Pastrnak. These pairs make me want to vomit, but it's the best we've got:

Rielly -Lyubushkin
Mccabe - Liljigren
Edmunson - Benoit
Brodie, Gio

Reactions: sxvnert

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Nylander Tavares Marner
Knies Jarnkrok Robertson
Dewar Kampf Reaves
Holmberg/Mcmann

Rielly McCabe
Benoit Liljigren
Edmundson Lyubushkin
Gio/Brodie/Timmins

Samsonov
Woll
Jones/Murray

Last edited:

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Although I like Domi with Matthews we can't have Tavares on the second line and we don't have enough good centers right now.

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Jarnkrok
McMann/Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Edmundson

Samsonov - Woll - Jones

Last edited:

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Jarnkrok Tavares Marner
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Kampf Reaves

Rielly Lybushkin
Benoit McCabe
Edumndson Liljegren

Then Robertson goes in on forward next. Brodie is up next for Lybushkin

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Depending on what McMann’s injury is, he could be a week away still. So I’m not counting on him for game 1. If Jarnkrok is back it probably pushes Robertson out, Holmberg as a centre is valuable. Or maybe Jarnkrok could play centre but probably asking too much to jump into that role off injury. Assuming both aren’t ready:

Bertuzzi. Matthews. Domi
Knies. Tavares. Marner
Robertson. Holmberg. Nylander
Dewar. Kampf. Reaves

D has been bad lately. But you hope Rielly is Playoff Rielly. if Keefe had balls:

Rielly. Lyubushkin
Benoit. McCabe
Edmundson. Liljegren

Sammy
Woll

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
I'm shocked there isn't more concern that since ROR left Treliving just ignored finding a top nine center. We're lucky Boston isn't deep at center, if Tavares or Matthews get hurt, even short term that a giant obstacle when matching up in the playoffs.

For all the micro analysis of the blueline and in goal, this is the biggest hoe on the roster. Domi, Holmberg and Kampf are all miscast in that role.

It's the achilles heel IMO and have been saying this the off season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nobody wants Robertson in the playoff lineup?
You know, he has probably earned a start. He’s been good and hasn’t made many horrible decisions. Just scoring. In the playoffs where you need your 3rd line to contribute. If Jarnkrok or McMann come back, I would be tempted to sit Dewer and drop Knies down to the fourth. He actually played well there a few games

Bottom line is guys like Robertson Knies Holmberg have to be close to perfect defensively and chip in as well.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Domi Matthews Bertuzzi
Marner Tavares Nylander
Robertson Holmberg Knies
Jarnkrok Kampf Reaves

Rielly Bush
McCabe Benoit
Edmunson Lily

That's my lineup. IMO it gives each line some offense and some responsibility. The "kid" line looked great together. Playoff hockey is harder to score goals...Robertson does that in spades. Lack of offense from the non core 4 has been the issue in past years.

When McMann comes back, deal with that then depending on Reaves' play or anyone else that may be struggling. Start with what has worked recently IMO.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With McMann unlikely for game 1, I’d roll with these lines.

Knies - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Edmundson

Samsonov - Woll

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I think he will play, but I also think he is our 7th best D.

He's not very good.

It's looking like we wasted picks on Dewar, I think he will get passed on the depth chart next year unless we move some guys out and he won't be a regular this year.

Not sure wasting picks on Edmundson is that far-fetched.
Edmundson is at his best in the playoffs when intensity ramps up and whistles are put away. No chance he sits.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
With McMann unlikely for game 1, I’d roll with these lines.

Knies - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Edmundson

Samsonov - Woll
I like it, but dang, I want NickRob in there.
It goes like this:
Start him game one. Doesn’t score. Sit him.
Game three he scores. Then sit him.
Game five he scores. Sit him.
Game seven, series winning goal.

Jokes, but I do want the piss/vinegar version of him in the lineup- plus that scoring risk anytime he has a second. He and Knies are finding their physical games; it’s a nice boost if they bring it. He’s actually a greasy agitator at his best, which is just arriving at this level. And….

Gotta have caution on expectations with Mitch and Calle coming off injuries as they are, especially mobility and explosiveness needed for pk. Tough spot for both of them.

It’s nice having depth options. It’d be nicer if that came with fewer questions going into game one….but it is what it is.

GLG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad