Line Combos: Playoff Lines

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi

You have your net front presence in Bertuzzi who is still skilled enough to make plays. Domi is your primary set up man, and with these 2 guys on his line, I feel like it'll bring out more of the physicality in Matthews

Mcmann-Tavares-Marner

Mcmann is your Hyman on this line. Has the speed and skill to forecheck and retain the puck. Marner is the set up man, and it gives Tavares 2 solid defensive wingers.

Knies-Nylander-Jarnkrok

With 3 line matchups, this line should be able to dominate. While it's not ideal to have Nylander at center, having Jarnkrok on this line gives him some support in the defensive zone.

Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

A solid shutdown 4th line who can pitch in with some offense as well.

Defense-
Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Edmundson-Brodie
Lyubushkin

Healthy Scratch-
Robertson
Gregor
Reaves
Timmons

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nylander cannot play Center and will not in a series imo

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - McMann

I don’t particularly like Holmberg at 3C but Nylander should be able to carry the line

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Nylander cannot play Center and will not in a series imo

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - McMann

I don’t particularly like Holmberg at 3C but Nylander should be able to carry the line
Mcmann deserves to be higher up in the lineup. I'm sorry but Knies hasn't shown me anything this year to warrant him being in the top 6 come playoff time. Mcmann has been able to produce when given minutes, and having someone like Marner getting him the puck should make it that much better.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi

You have your net front presence in Bertuzzi who is still skilled enough to make plays. Domi is your primary set up man, and with these 2 guys on his line, I feel like it'll bring out more of the physicality in Matthews

Mcmann-Tavares-Marner

Mcmann is your Hyman on this line. Has the speed and skill to forecheck and retain the puck. Marner is the set up man, and it gives Tavares 2 solid defensive wingers.

Knies-Nylander-Jarnkrok

With 3 line matchups, this line should be able to dominate. While it's not ideal to have Nylander at center, having Jarnkrok on this line gives him some support in the defensive zone.

Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

A solid shutdown 4th line who can pitch in with some offense as well.

Defense-
Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Edmundson-Brodie
Lyubushkin

Healthy Scratch-
Robertson
Gregor
Reaves
Timmons
Bertuzzi and Domi aren't strong enough defensively to play on the top line.
You can have one or the other but not both.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
ex. Robertson - Holmberg - Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

3 scoring lines and a limited 4th line. A Marner/JT combo and a Domi/Nylander combo with Matthews pairing with Bertuzzi. Each line and pairing have at least one guy who can handle themselves physically. There is a pure shutdown defenseman paired with a puck mover on each pairing.

Brodie - soft, old and slow and Robertson - soft and weak defensively sit to start despite their reputation. I expect the top-11 forwards to see time all the way through, the 12th forward (Reaves) will be a variety of different players subbing in for one another.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

3 scoring lines and a limited 4th line. A Marner/JT combo and a Domi/Nylander combo with Matthews pairing with Bertuzzi. Each line and pairing have at least one guy who can handle themselves physically. There is a pure shutdown defenseman paired with a puck mover on each pairing.

Brodie - soft, old and slow and Robertson - soft and weak defensively sit to start despite their reputation. I expect the top-11 forwards to see time all the way through, the 12th forward (Reaves) will be a variety of different players subbing in for one another.
This looks good to me. Make it happen Keefe.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Knies and McMann are pretty good on the same line. Even with Kampf as a defensive presence they were dynamic. Knies was playing some of his best hockey with McMann. Assuming this thought experiment is because Domi and Matthews had a good game together I’ll bite….

Bertuzzi. Matthews. Domi
Jarnkrok. Tavares. Marner
Knies. Nylander. McMann
Dewar. Kampf. Holmberg/Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren/Timmins
Gio. Brodie

Reactions: Rare Jewel

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
On defense maximize our playoff star in Rielly, acknowledge our lack of top 4 talent, but appreciate our surplus of bottom 4 players that can eat playoff minutes.

Roll three D lines evenly with Rielly stealing minutes from Lily.

Rielly-Boosh
Ed-Lily (Rielly-Ed)
Benny-McCabe

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Bertuzzi. Matthews. Domi
Jarnkrok. Tavares. Marner
Knies. Nylander. McMann
Dewar. Kampf. Holmberg/Reaves
I don't mind this, particularly if that top line keeps rolling; I tend to like Matthews more away from Marner or even Nylander at the moment.

The only alteration I'd make is to the middle two lines.

Kronk/Knies - JT - Nylander
Knies/Kronk/McMann - Holmberg - Marner

The three musketeers on three separate lines (like you have as well) will create a match issue for either Bos or Fla.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

I like that, but I really liked Domi on the wing better than at centre, so I'd be interested in seeing if:

McMann - Nylander - Domi

would work. Domi digs and sets up and Willy is the trigger man.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Edmundson - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

But I would give Domi an extended look next to Matthews right now to see if the chemistry sticks.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I like that, but I really liked Domi on the wing better than at centre, so I'd be interested in seeing if:

McMann - Nylander - Domi

would work. Domi digs and sets up and Willy is the trigger man.
Does Domi work on the right? Would open up opportunities.

From early in the season I was hoping to see Domi-Willy-Jarn. Domi can support Willys rush game, Jarn can help with responsibilities.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I don't know but do any other contenders not know what a single line or who their starting goalie are for their team by this point in the season? And it's not the first time.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I expect huge recency bias in here abd I'd have to think about it a bit more but the main things for me would be:

1. Matthews and Marner must play together:

Matthews hasn't scored a 5v5 goal without Marner in the playoffs in years and every time they are split up has been a mistake.

2. If for some crazy reason, you actually split them up, don't put Marner with Tavares. It hasn't worked for years either.

3. Don't put Domi at center in a significant role. A 3rd line with two way guys like McMann and Jarnkrok would work very well though IMO. Playing on the wing in a top 6 role could work and give us flexibility for sure.

I don't know but do any other contenders not know what a single line or who their starting goalie are for their team by this point in the season? And it's not the first time.

Only been a problem for the last half decade right? Can't wait to get out goalied again and we get 100000 posts blaming everything else.

Reactions: slozo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I expect huge recency bias in here abd I'd have to think about it a bit more but the main things for me would be:

1. Matthews and Marner must play together:

Matthews hasn't scored a 5v5 goal without Marner in the playoffs in years and every time they are split up has been a mistake.

2. If for some crazy reason, you actually split them up, don't put Marner with Tavares. It hasn't worked for years either.

3. Don't put Domi at center in a significant role. A 3rd line with two way guys like McMann and Jarnkrok would work very well though IMO. Playing on the wing in a top 6 role could work and give us flexibility for sure.

Only been a problem for the last half decade right? Can't wait to get out goalied again and we get 100000 posts blaming everything else.
I don't know about the 'can't wait' part, I'd prefer that doesn't happen at all but which goalie do gives us the most confidence right now?
I'm still leaning towards Woll.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't know about the 'can't wait' part, I'd prefer that doesn't happen at all but which goalie do gives us the most confidence right now?
At the moment, it’s gotta be Samsonov with a short leash. But lots of games left to figure that out, goalies are so unpredictable… Woll might go on a heater in the last ten. Ride the hotter one into the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Does Domi work on the right? Would open up opportunities.

From early in the season I was hoping to see Domi-Willy-Jarn. Domi can support Willys rush game, Jarn can help with responsibilities.
He seemed to do pretty well with Matty on Wednesday. I think both he and Willy can play either without the traditional C/RW feel.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Leaning that way as well although the "ride the hotter one", as was mentioned earlier, is probably the best bet.

Bert - 34 - 16
McMann - JT - 88
Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Kampf - Dewar

This is probably close to what we will see although the top 3 LW are all interchangeable for chemistry.

Reactions: ACC1224

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Matthews needs one of Marner or Domi to get him the puck, Jarnkrok cannot do that...I think you're limiting the top line's potential while strengthening the 2nd & 3rd lines.

Whatever the strategy ends up being, Keefe needs to settle on a plan and settle soon. Remember last year? He was shuffling lineups up until the last week of the season...not ideal. The lines need some consistency and each player needs to be confident with the role they're going in with.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Keefe will shuffle the lines multiple times before the playoffs start and I honestly have no idea what to expect. If I were to guess, I think he'll start with something like this:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Brodie-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Reactions: Puckstuff

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Keefe will shuffle the lines multiple times before the playoffs start and I honestly have no idea what to expect. If I were to guess, I think he'll start with something like this:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Brodie-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren
Knies ain't playing on that 1st line, his play has dropped off pretty significantly in the second half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad