Line Combos: Playoff Lines

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The media calls to reunite Marner-Matthews are idiotic.

When Matthews plays with Domi/Bert hes the line driver. When Matthews plays with Marner, Marner is while Matthews does figure eights in the offensive zone waiting for a pass.

A more engaged Matthews is a much more dangerous Matthews. Keefe being Keefe, he'll reunite them the second he panics.
I dont thing keefe will do this for 1 reason, for me its the 1st time since keefe is in toronto than the team find someone who had great chemistry to remove marner off matthews. Thats whats domi bringing right now to the leafs

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The media calls to reunite Marner-Matthews are idiotic.

When Matthews plays with Domi/Bert hes the line driver. When Matthews plays with Marner, Marner is while Matthews does figure eights in the offensive zone waiting for a pass.

A more engaged Matthews is a much more dangerous Matthews. Keefe being Keefe, he'll reunite them the second he panics.

The media is dumb. They need to run that Bert-Matthews-Domi line in the playoffs.

It actually looks like a proper playoff line that will dominate its matchup.

Playoff version of Marner is too unstable and you have no idea what you're getting with him. Multiple years he's dragged everyone down with him during his 2-3 game long streaks of panicking under pressure.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The media is dumb. They need to run that Bert-Matthews-Domi line in the playoffs.

It actually looks like a proper playoff line that will dominate its matchup.

Playoff version of Marner is too unstable and you have no idea what you're getting with him. Multiple years he's dragged everyone down with him during his 2-3 game long streaks of panicking under pressure.

Marner is the only one of core 3 who didn't had his 5v5 production drastically drop in playoff vs regular season and been fantastic defensively ( and probably the guy playing the less time in defensive zone for this reason) but hes too unstable and dragged everyone down?!?!

line 1st line was the only one who dominate his matchup most of the time in playoff and when theuly didn't, leafs was losing basically everytime. It was #1 problem with leafs since at least last 2 playoff and why get 3 great line unstead of 3 will help the leafs.

if matthews line have a bad night and unable to win his matchup, you still have marner and nylander line to ocercome this. If one game both nylander and marner line doesn't get a good game. You will still have matthews line who can keep leafs in the game and maybe still get a chance to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Jarnkrok-Marner
Dewar-Kamph-Reaves
Robertson(next man up)

Edmunson-Lilly
Benoit-McCabe
Rielly-Brodie

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves
extras: Knies, Gregor, McMann (Inj.)

Rielly-Boosh
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren
extras: Brodie, Gio, Timmins

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Whatever the lines are going into game 1 I'm absolutely certain that unless the Leafs sweep their opponents they'll be juggled constantly by Keefe. Just can't help himself.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Marner is the only one of core 3 who didn't had his 5v5 production drastically drop in playoff vs regular season and been fantastic defensively ( and probably the guy playing the less time in defensive zone for this reason) but hes too unstable and dragged everyone down?!?!

line 1st line was the only one who dominate his matchup most of the time in playoff and when theuly didn't, leafs was losing basically everytime. It was #1 problem with leafs since at least last 2 playoff and why get 3 great line unstead of 3 will help the leafs.

if matthews line have a bad night and unable to win his matchup, you still have marner and nylander line to ocercome this. If one game both nylander and marner line doesn't get a good game. You will still have matthews line who can keep leafs in the game and maybe still get a chance to win.

Marner's production in the playoffs:

• ⁠Game 1s: 4 G and 5 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 2s: 4 G and 7 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 3s: 0 G and 8 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 4s: 0 G and 9 A in 7 games

• ⁠Game 5s: 0 G and 4 A in 7 games

• ⁠Game 6s: 1 G and 1 A in 6 games

• ⁠Game 7s: 0 G and 2 A in 4 games

He falls apart at the end of each series. It's become quite obvious over the years and of course he has entirely bad series too such as what happened against Boston.

He's an unreliable player in the playoffs and shouldn't be on Matthews line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner's production in the playoffs:

• ⁠Game 1s: 4 G and 5 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 2s: 4 G and 7 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 3s: 0 G and 8 A in 8 games

• ⁠Game 4s: 0 G and 9 A in 7 games

• ⁠Game 5s: 0 G and 4 A in 7 games

• ⁠Game 6s: 1 G and 1 A in 6 games

• ⁠Game 7s: 0 G and 2 A in 4 games

He falls apart at the end of each series. It's become quite obvious over the years and of course he has entirely bad series too such as what happened against Boston.

He's an unreliable player in the playoffs and shouldn't be on Matthews line.
Interesting to see it laid out that way, easy to read. Do you have Matthews, Tavares and Nylanders numbers available?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

All Im saying is Mathews - Marner didnt work. We need 3 lines to score or we dont win. We may be ok backend but we will need 3 goals a game to win. Marner needs to drive his own line and Mathews needs some grinders playing with him.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Does anybody have an idea on when our first home game will be? My buddy’s been going at me about buying tickets as soon as possible but we have a golf trip may 1-4 and the old lady already bought us jays tickets for the 26th.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
last 2 years primary pts 5v5
matthews 6 goal 2 A1 8 primary pts
nylander 2 goal 1 A1 3 primary pts
marner 4 goal 6 A1 10 primary pts
tavares 5 goal 1 A1 6 primary pts

primary pts/60 at 5v5
1- marner at 2.1
2-matthews 1.56
3-tavares 1 44
4- Nylander 0.69

gf/ga
matthews 14/11 +3
marner 17/10 +7
tavares 9-11 -2
nylander 8-13 -5

Marner it is really the right guy to blame for his 5v5 game?!?!?!

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
All Im saying is Mathews - Marner didnt work. We need 3 lines to score or we dont win. We may be ok backend but we will need 3 goals a game to win. Marner needs to drive his own line and Mathews needs some grinders playing with him.
and im 100% agree with it

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Put Nylander back with Tavares and McMann. Willy has been hot garbage for two weeks and that line at least sort of worked. Then move Marner down onto a line with Kampf and Jarnkrok when he’s heathy which can be a matchup line. Who cares if it’s not offensively gifted, the guy is going to ask for $12+ million, he can show he’s worth it by elevating Jarnkrok and Kampf.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Marner
Knies-Dewar-Reaves

OR

Leave that Nylander-Tavares-Marner line alone for a while and see if that’s the play. McMann can drop down with Kampf and Jarnkrok to make a shutdown line.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-Tavares-Marner
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Knies-Dewar-Reaves

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
finally a first line that won’t get bullied

amazing it took Marner getting inured to try something else. I would of loved to see ORielly-Matthews-Acciari

Now for the power play we ever going to try Bertuzzi and domi on pp1?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
finally a first line that won’t get bullied

amazing it took Marner getting inured to try something else. I would of loved to see ORielly-Matthews-Acciari

Now for the power play we ever going to try Bertuzzi and domi on pp1?
Absolutely Bert should replace JT - he is a much better net front presence.

Replacing Mitch with Domi is more of a tossup.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Unlike fantasy hockey or NHL’24 video games, having a dependable 3rd line checking line that can shut down the opposing top line is essential in real-life playoff hockey.

The closest thing the Leafs have to a defensive checking line would be Dewar/Kampf/JarnCrap.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Domi is no joke a broke and poor man’s McDavid or MacKinnon in terms of primary assists. I love that he just knows his role so well with Bert and Matthews.

We have to sign both those guys long term.

This is our Crosby Kunitz Dupuis, Crosby Hornqvist Rust etc type line.

Matthews is just so dominant with these 2 because he doesn’t become passive like he does with Marner on his line.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Domi is no joke a broke and poor man’s McDavid or MacKinnon in terms of primary assists. I love that he just knows his role so well with Bert and Matthews.

Matthews is just so dominant with these 2 because he doesn’t become passive like he does with Marner on his line.
I think the only thing this line really proves is just how good Matthews is in terms of all-around play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, I'd probably slightly side with one of Dewar or Reaves (depending on whether we feel we need more PK help or physicality), along with Knies/Kampf, for the 4th line.

For D pairs, yeah ... it's gonna be a little sketchy no matter what. I personally think:
  • We simply do not have anything remotely resembling a top pair RD, Rielly's partner is going to be weak, and there's just no way around that. But Rielly/Schenn was great last playoffs, maybe Rielly/Boosh can find similar magic
    • Rielly/Boosh has been a fairly good pair so far - 56% 5v5 goals pct (best of any Rielly pair with 100+ mins), 54% 5v5 expected goals pct (2nd best of any Rielly pair with 100+ mins, after Rielly/Lily)
  • McCabe/Benoit have generally been very good, that seems like a keeper
  • For the 3rd pair, either Edmundson/Lily or Edmundson/Brodie, and I'd personally side Edmundson/Lily
    • Lily has been basically Edmundson's only partner so far, and it's worked great - they've only had 86 mins together, but have been on for 5 goals for, 1 against, for a truly excellent 83% 5v5 goals pct
    • Obvious that 83% won't hold up over a larger sample size, crazy numbers, but they looked really good before the injuries, worth more burn IMO
So with everyone healthy, I'd lean towards this:

Rielly - Boosh
McCabe - Benoit
Edmundson - Lily

With Brodie as the #7, stepping in if there are injuries or if any of those 6 are struggling. Brodie is right on the edge of being in the lineup, but with everyone healthy, IMO those are the best pairings we can field, Brodie is just barely on the outside looking in.
100% agreed with this analysis .. also based on recent bias I am not sure why Brodie even laced 'em up last night .. that was by far da worst display of defense I have seen from him this entire year .. Ed was not good either but Brodie in my opinion just played himself OFF da playoff roster .. I hope Lily can get in 3 games before playoffs and lets see what we got .. if not Lily then Gio omg can't believe I am thinking that but at least he will spill his blood for team .. our 6th D spot is not looking good .. maybe we go with 5 D and play Rielly with both Boosh and Ed .. and have a 13 forward like Dewar on bench .. Reaves will start against Panthers that is guaranteed

Domi can fly and he brings Matty speed and skill .. Mitch can't skate at speed of Domi which is really da difference maker .. Bert is a wall presence and a net front presence who opens up lanes for Matty .. Mitch looked to me like he was struggling with his skating/edges last night .. he likely is not fully recovered from his injury .. but playing with JT sucks for anyone .. JT is a 3rd line player now which will be crystal clear against Cats

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I hope Keefe deploys the lineup based strictly on merit, but I fear he will revert back to his old ways. That means there's a good chance we see guys like Brodie and Jarnkrok to start the playoffs.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015

Brodie is never leaving this lineup.

So are we trying to have the worst first d-man pairing in the league? I don't see why you even test or try this. Rielly and Liljegren are both softer than toilet paper and are both horrendous on defence and not even that great offensively either (where they should be excelling).

Reactions: definedMF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad