Line Combos: Playoff Lines

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Bert - Matty - Mitch
Domi - Willy - Jarn
McMann - JT - Holm (Robo)
Dewar - Kampf - Reavo (Knies)

If MM need to split swap Mitch into the second line.

It's a great group of forwards but tough to slot them all in just right.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Nylander
Knies-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Why put your top scorer and likely best overall player (second-best shooter, second-best passer, best puck carrier) on the third line?

Reactions: arso40

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Why put your top scorer and likely best overall player (second-best shooter, second-best passer, best puck carrier) on the third line?
So we can have a line driver on each line and the players on the 3rd line would score more. Nylander would still get the same amount of minutes. Also if you have a guy like that on the 3rd line, it’s a nightmare to match up against the Leafs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So we can have a line driver on each line and the players on the 3rd line would score more. Nylander would still get the same amount of minutes. Also if you have a guy like that on the 3rd line, it’s a nightmare to match up against the Leafs.
So you expect Matty to continue to get 21 minutes a game and Mitch to get 21 minutes a game and still expect Willy to get 20 minutes a game playing with two guys who average 11 minutes? I'm not sure the math works.

I agree that Willy may be our best 'line driver' and can likely get even Robertson to produce, but at the same time he seems to be the one who helps JT produce the best.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So you expect Matty to continue to get 21 minutes a game and Mitch to get 21 minutes a game and still expect Willy to get 20 minutes a game playing with two guys who average 11 minutes? I'm not sure the math works.

I agree that Willy may be our best 'line driver' and can likely get even Robertson to produce, but at the same time he seems to be the one who helps JT produce the best.

barkov is playing less than 20, Tkachuk less than 19... if matthews/ marner/ nylabder ice time droping of 1/2 minutes but with higher energy/ intensity level, so better quality ice time... who will really care?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I think there's a case to be made that Matthews and Marner shouldn't be getting 21 minutes a night in order for us to be successful. I'd go as far as saying that it's a contributing factor to why they get worn down over the course of a series.

In an ideal world, you probably want to break out ice time between even strength, PP, and PK.

If splitting them up over 3 lines (which is what IMO they should do to create matchup nightmares for the other team), you're probably targetting 14 minutes for each of the 3 top lines, plus powerplay time for the guys on it, plus a few limited stacking shifts.

Reactions: aingefan

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think there's a case to be made that Matthews and Marner shouldn't be getting 21 minutes a night in order for us to be successful. I'd go as far as saying that it's a contributing factor to why they get worn down over the course of a series.

In an ideal world, you probably want to break out ice time between even strength, PP, and PK.

If splitting them up over 3 lines (which is what IMO they should do to create matchup nightmares for the other team), you're probably targetting 14 minutes for each of the 3 top lines, plus powerplay time for the guys on it, plus a few limited stacking shifts.
Quite right. As far as ES time, Matty averages 17, Mitch and Willy 16 and JT 15. All get about 3 on the PP. Mitch 2, Willy 1 and Matty a bit less on the PK.

My point was more the supporting players - Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, and Gregor each get 10 - 10 1/2 ES and very little PK, so what will happen if they are suddenly asked to play 12-14? McMann and Holmberg seem to be doing fine short term, but who knows.

My biggest concern was the idea of playing Willy on a line with two guys who, together, average barely more than he does by himself.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
McMann - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmunson - Timmins

Samsonov - Woll - Jones

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I like your lines. Main thing is to put Marner back with JT, keep Matthews with Domi and put Nylander on a 3rd line. 3 scoring lines for the playoffs, I like it!
I don't mind Willy on the 3rd line to spread out the offense but I don't like him doing it at C.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't mind Willy on the 3rd line to spread out the offense but I don't like him doing it at C.
Agreed. I was just thinking of line combos and wasn't even paying attention to who was playing what position. But Willy belongs on the wing for sure.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
ex. Robertson - Holmberg - Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

3 scoring lines and a limited 4th line. A Marner/JT combo and a Domi/Nylander combo with Matthews pairing with Bertuzzi. Each line and pairing have at least one guy who can handle themselves physically. There is a pure shutdown defenseman paired with a puck mover on each pairing.

Brodie - soft, old and slow and Robertson - soft and weak defensively sit to start despite their reputation. I expect the top-11 forwards to see time all the way through, the 12th forward (Reaves) will be a variety of different players subbing in for one another.
This is the closest incarnation of the lineup I would go with. I thus give my approval, however, I go with Tavares on the third line and Reaves throughout. He is proud and knows when to go to battle. His presence is important for the balanced identity this team needs. He will wake up the hungry, Cup starved Leafs crowd and make room for others come playoffs.

Keefe isn't immune to the understanding of this need. Remember he employed cruiserweight Simmonds with M & M a couple of times when he first arrived.

Their D needs to be punishing and able to wear down either Boston or FLA forwards. It won't be pretty and it won't be easy. Each D pair has to look to his partner and trust them to be mean when needed.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Quite right. As far as ES time, Matty averages 17, Mitch and Willy 16 and JT 15. All get about 3 on the PP. Mitch 2, Willy 1 and Matty a bit less on the PK.

My point was more the supporting players - Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, and Gregor each get 10 - 10 1/2 ES and very little PK, so what will happen if they are suddenly asked to play 12-14? McMann and Holmberg seem to be doing fine short term, but who knows.

My biggest concern was the idea of playing Willy on a line with two guys who, together, average barely more than he does by himself.

What will happen? easy just get player who will always be at 100% on the ice. Its hard to be at 100% whe you tired and how many

toronto will not be in a bad situation using those player 12 minutes if that can help core to be at 100% for the 18-19min they will play unstead of 90% for the 20-23 minutes they will play.

Domi played in that spot all year long and had 37 5v5 pts vs 41 for Nylander. If Nylander is unable to do the same thing than Domi, can you tell me why are we paying that guy 11.5M in his next contract?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What will happen? easy just get player who will always be at 100% on the ice. Its hard to be at 100% whe you tired and how many

toronto will not be in a bad situation using those player 12 minutes if that can help core to be at 100% for the 18-19min they will play unstead of 90% for the 20-23 minutes they will play.

Domi played in that spot all year long and had 37 5v5 pts vs 41 for Nylander. If Nylander is unable to do the same thing than Domi, can you tell me why are we paying that guy 11.5M in his next contract?
Your first paragraph seems to agree with me, and your second paragraph seems to completely disagree, so I have no idea what your point might be.

"Domi played in that spot all year long". What spot? 1RW? He's been there for a few games recently and earlier, but he's also played second and third, and maybe even fourth line. Most of his production has come while playing with either Matty or Willy, so I don't think Willy on the third line without either is a reasonable comparison.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there are 145 players who have more points than Domi this year, but only 6 with more than Nylander. That's a bit of a difference! Excellent value for $6.9M, and very good at even $11.5M.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Assuming full health:

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Knies Jarnkrok Nylander
Kampf Dewer Holmberg

Rielly McCabe
Edmundson Lily
Benoit Lyubushkin

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Your first paragraph seems to agree with me, and your second paragraph seems to completely disagree, so I have no idea what your point might be.

"Domi played in that spot all year long". What spot? 1RW? He's been there for a few games recently and earlier, but he's also played second and third, and maybe even fourth line. Most of his production has come while playing with either Matty or Willy, so I don't think Willy on the third line without either is a reasonable comparison.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there are 145 players who have more points than Domi this year, but only 6 with more than Nylander. That's a bit of a difference! Excellent value for $6.9M, and very good at even $11.5M.

1- Domi played majority of season on 3rd line

2- Most of his production came with jarnkrok 18, robertson 14, Bertuzzi 11, nylander 8, matthews 6

3- 5v5/60 minute played, like i said if Domi is able to do it with guy like jarnkrok and robertson, i dont see why nylander should not be able or hes just not deserving his 11.5M if he cant.
1000001389.jpg

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Just for kicks, here's the starting lineup from LAST years playoffs.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Tavares - O'Reilly - Nylander
Kerfoot - Acciari - Jarnkrok
Aston-Reese - Kampf - Lafferty
Extra: Knies, Simmonds

McCabe - Brodie
Rielly - Schenn
Giordano - Holl
Extras:Gustafsson–Liljegren-Timmins

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
McMann Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Holmberg

Rielly McCabe
Edmundson Liljegren
Benoit Lyubushkin
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander looks like fun but CANNOT be trusted in tight playoff games where one goal can be a series killer. Capable of potting one? Yes absolutely. Defensive awareness to kill a crippling rush the other way? Not so much. Scary 3some defensively. Need some D awareness every line and that one gives me nightmares.

Reactions: ACC1224

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Any lines that have Brodie in them….. Wrong
No other way to look at it. One tough D partnered with a rushing D. Brodie doesn't fit either category anymore. Muzzin hit a wall before his career ending injury and now its Brodies turn.

Rielly McCabe
Edmundson Lily
Benny Boosh
--------------------
Rielly Boosh
Edmundson Lily
McCabe Timmins
--------------------
Rielly Boosh
Edmundson McCabe <- Would love to see this pairing.
Benoit Lily

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander looks like fun but CANNOT be trusted in tight playoff games where one goal can be a series killer. Capable of potting one? Yes absolutely. Defensive awareness to kill a crippling rush the other way? Not so much. Scary 3some defensively. Need some D awareness every line and that one gives me nightmares.
It's the nature of the forward group they've built. Tougher to play against but you have to hold your breath in the defensive zone.

I don't think Domi's going to last on Matthew's RW like it or not. Keefe will want Marner there so he can match the top line head to head.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1- Domi played majority of season on 3rd line

2- Most of his production came with jarnkrok 18, robertson 14, Bertuzzi 11, nylander 8, matthews 6

3- 5v5/60 minute played, like i said if Domi is able to do it with guy like jarnkrok and robertson, i dont see why nylander should not be able or hes just not deserving his 11.5M if he cant.View attachment 841111
I'm not sure your conclusion logically stems from the points, but I do agree Domi has played well.

As others have pointed out, Domi, under those limited situations you have to rely on, has produced almost as well as Nylander, and actually better than Marner.

I haven't noticed you suggesting that Mitch doesn't deserve the $10M he's actually already making, or that he be dropped to the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00