Line Combos: Playoff Lines

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I expect huge recency bias in here abd I'd have to think about it a bit more but the main things for me would be:

1. Matthews and Marner must play together:

Matthews hasn't scored a 5v5 goal without Marner in the playoffs in years and every time they are split up has been a mistake.

2. If for some crazy reason, you actually split them up, don't put Marner with Tavares. It hasn't worked for years either.

3. Don't put Domi at center in a significant role. A 3rd line with two way guys like McMann and Jarnkrok would work very well though IMO. Playing on the wing in a top 6 role could work and give us flexibility for sure.

Only been a problem for the last half decade right? Can't wait to get out goalied again and we get 100000 posts blaming everything else.
We've seen stats that Matty is producing better this year without Mitch than with him, and they have not produced in the playoffs in the later games, but....

If JT is 3C and we don't want either Willy or Mitch with him, and you don't want Domi at 2C, what does that leave?

Bert - Matty - Mitch/Domi
McMann - Willy - Mitch/Domi/Jarnkrok
? - JT - Domi/Jarnkrok

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
ex. Robertson - Holmberg - Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

3 scoring lines and a limited 4th line. A Marner/JT combo and a Domi/Nylander combo with Matthews pairing with Bertuzzi. Each line and pairing have at least one guy who can handle themselves physically. There is a pure shutdown defenseman paired with a puck mover on each pairing.

Brodie - soft, old and slow and Robertson - soft and weak defensively sit to start despite their reputation. I expect the top-11 forwards to see time all the way through, the 12th forward (Reaves) will be a variety of different players subbing in for one another.
We have a winner. I love those lines. Although it kinda sucks to break up that Bertuzzi Matthews Domi line, I think it has to be done to put 3 solid scoring lines together

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
bertuzzi - Matthews - domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Jornkrok - Kampf - Marner
Holmberg - Dewar - Reeves

Rielly - Lybushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Timmins

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Domi - Matthews - Bertuzzi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Dewar

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Edmundson - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Samsonov - Woll

Reactions: Marshy

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I don’t see how it makes sense to move a guy who hasn’t played center all year to start the playoffs center when we have kampf and dewar

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This thread is tomorrow's problem.

5 games from now someone will hate these lines because 1 or 2 players will fall off a cliff.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t see how it makes sense to move a guy who hasn’t played center all year to start the playoffs center when we have kampf and dewar
It makes as much sense as moving a guy who hasn’t played center all year to end the playoffs (see Leafs/CBJ game #5).

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
ex. Robertson - Holmberg - Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Brodie
Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

3 scoring lines and a limited 4th line. A Marner/JT combo and a Domi/Nylander combo with Matthews pairing with Bertuzzi. Each line and pairing have at least one guy who can handle themselves physically. There is a pure shutdown defenseman paired with a puck mover on each pairing.

Brodie - soft, old and slow and Robertson - soft and weak defensively sit to start despite their reputation. I expect the top-11 forwards to see time all the way through, the 12th forward (Reaves) will be a variety of different players subbing in for one another.

I like this.

I would just add Reaves on the line with Brodie + Robertson and ship them to AHL.

• Haha
Reactions: Magic Man

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe Keefe should try these lines and see what happens.

McMann-Kampf-MM
Bert-AM-Calle
Knies-JT-Reaves
Dewar-Domi-Willie

Spreading top 4 in 4 lines and see how the other teams match up. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
SCFinal

Knies. Matthews. Nylander
Bertuzzi. Tavares. Marner
McMann Domi. Robertson
Dewar. Kampf. jarnkrok

Rielly. Klingberg
Benoit. McCabe
Edmundson. Lyubushkin

Matt Murray
Woll
:D

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
SCFinal

Knies. Matthews. Nylander
Bertuzzi. Tavares. Marner
McMann Domi. Robertson
Dewar. Kampf. jarnkrok

Rielly. Klingberg
Benoit. McCabe
Edmundson. Lyubushkin

Matt Murray
Woll
:D
I actually really like the forward lines and then WTF happened multiple times…. 😂

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While there's obviously a lot of recency bias in this thread.... I think it's a shame that the Leafs waited until Marner was out to give Domi a shot on Matthews' wing. Had they done so earlier, it may have better illustrated the benefit of pursuing another 3rd line centre.

To have any shot against Boston or Florida, the Leafs need to be able to roll 3 lines, and have a "purposeful" 4th line.

Call me crazy, but I think they should go with a look that we haven't even seen this year...

McMann-Tavares-Marner -- McMann gives JT the speed and and puck retrieval that's missing on this line.

Knies-Matthews-Domi -- Domi acts as the setup man, Matthews obviously strong defensively, and Knies to help free up space for the other 2.

Bertuzzi-Dewar-Nylander -- Obviously a little unconventional having a guy without much offence in the middle, but you look some of the Detroit years where Bertuzzi was so successful, complimenting Dylan Larkin, and I think he could compliment Nylander the same way.

Robertson-Kampf-Holmberg -- Obviously 2 more defensive minded guys to be able to kill penalties and not get scored against, but I think for the Leafs to be successful they have to have somebody that's a little bit dangerous in the bottom of the lineup.

Could also see switching Holmberg with Dewar.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
While there's obviously a lot of recency bias in this thread.... I think it's a shame that the Leafs waited until Marner was out to give Domi a shot on Matthews' wing. Had they done so earlier, it may have better illustrated the benefit of pursuing another 3rd line centre.

To have any shot against Boston or Florida, the Leafs need to be able to roll 3 lines, and have a "purposeful" 4th line.

Call me crazy, but I think they should go with a look that we haven't even seen this year...

McMann-Tavares-Marner -- McMann gives JT the speed and and puck retrieval that's missing on this line.

Knies-Matthews-Domi -- Domi acts as the setup man, Matthews obviously strong defensively, and Knies to help free up space for the other 2.

Bertuzzi-Dewar-Nylander -- Obviously a little unconventional having a guy without much offence in the middle, but you look some of the Detroit years where Bertuzzi was so successful, complimenting Dylan Larkin, and I think he could compliment Nylander the same way.

Robertson-Kampf-Holmberg -- Obviously 2 more defensive minded guys to be able to kill penalties and not get scored against, but I think for the Leafs to be successful they have to have somebody that's a little bit dangerous in the bottom of the lineup.

Where does Jarnkrok go?

Think the lines are pretty creative but you can't put our leading (top 10) scorer on a Dewar centered third line.

Knies is closer to battling for a playoff spot than he is a spot beside Matty - for now - and Reavo needs to be able to swap in for some games.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Maybe Keefe should try these lines and see what happens.

McMann-Kampf-MM
Bert-AM-Calle
Knies-JT-Reaves
Dewar-Domi-Willie

Spreading top 4 in 4 lines and see how the other teams match up. lol.
The problem with splitting them up like that is the ice time.

The Matty and Domi lines aren't bad except for Dewar, but what about the other two?

You're either limiting Mitch to under his usual 16 (ES) or pushing Kampf way past his usual 11 (ES). You're either limiting JT to under his usual 15 (ES) or pushing Reaves way past his usual 8 (ES). Or you're juggling lines all game to keep ice time reasonable for all.

(I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but some of the suggestions have been almost as bad.)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I think you're wasting Marner putting him on the third line with JT.

I'd like to see what would happen with MItch on Willy's wing.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I think with all the issues this roster presents, we might be best going all out with:

Bert/Matthews/Domi
Nylander/Tavares/Marner
Knies/Kampf/Mcmann
Holmberg/Dewar/Reaves-Gregor

A lot would depend on Nylander being able to adjust to his offwing, and that line staying above water defensively. Marner can pick up some slack there. If it works out, it could be a really dynamic threat that would take a lot of attention off of the Matthews line, which will need room breathe to succeed.

Kamfp is the only one I trust with the young guys, who looked pretty solid together previously. He is responsible enough to let them run around out there and get some looks. Fourth has some grit/speed depending on who we want to run with between Gregor and Reaves. I think Reaves gets the first look as it's going to be a rough series no matter which of the two division leaders we go up against.

I understand the argument of having Nylander on the third line for balance, but I think even if we try that we eventually move him back into the top 6. He's too good to be buried in any respect.

Reactions: Budz

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Kampf-McMann
Holmberg-Dewar-Jarnkrok

Extras: Reaves, Robertson, Gregor

I think this is the best combination we can make with our forwards. Bertuzzi with Matthews and Marner speaks for itself and is more plausible now that Matthews and Bertuzzi are getting a real opportunity to gel. Domi should have lots of fun dishing to Tavares and Nylander. I really liked the Knies-Kampf-McMann line when it happened and think that can be a headache for the opposition having to face three big bodies, two of which are pretty adept at putting the puck in the net. Jarnkrok is a bit wasted way down on the fourth line but it's not like he's stuck there and over the course of the game he'll get plenty of chances to get into the game, especially on the PK.

Honestly there's a lot of good options for lineup configurations with the forwards. A long season of integrating a lot of new faces up front came with it's fair share of headaches and frustration but now that Bertuzzi has found his game, Domi is comfortable at centre and the wing, and Reaves is a decent fourth liner our big free agent additions fit seamlessly. Combined with the steadily improved play of Knies, Holmberg, Robertson, and especially McMann breaking out and you've got a strong group of support players backing up Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Tavares. Kampf has also gotten better over the season and Jarnkrok when he plays is still reliable. Dewar is also improving and having Gregor as your worst forward speaks to the depth this team has.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Where does Jarnkrok go?

Think the lines are pretty creative but you can't put our leading (top 10) scorer on a Dewar centered third line.

Knies is closer to battling for a playoff spot than he is a spot beside Matty - for now - and Reavo needs to be able to swap in for some games.
Probably in place of Knies; but I get the sense that Jarnkrok may be a bit further off.

As for Nylander and Dewar -- I agree with you that it's not ideal. The challenge is -- you look at how Nylander plays, and he kind of does everything "on his own". He doesn't really benefit from playing with a Matthews, Marner, or even a couple of years ago, Tavares. I recall a great playoff series he had with Alex Kerfoot as his centreman. All he really needs, is guys to get him the puck, cover for some defensive gaffes, and play at his speed, which Dewar can do.

Teams that are successful in the playoffs roll 3-4 lines. Keefe needs to recalibrate his approach to that instead of always finding ways to load up. Splitting them onto 3 lines creates a real matchup problem, given that the Bertuzzi-Nylander combination should be quite dangerous.... Domi-Matthews also quite dangerous, and Tavares-Marner -- if there's anyone that can get JT going again, it's Mitch.

With Knies, if Jarnkrok is back, then he probably takes the place of Nick Robertson, or maybe finds himself on the outside looking in. I think you need Robertson in the lineup because he can be a good cog for the 2nd powerplay, and somebody that can create a little bit of his own offence even if he's playing with Kampf and Holmberg; whereas Knies is more of a complimentary player to skill.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Pretty creative lines, the only change I’d make is Jarnkrok in for Robertson. Otherwise, very balanced lines from 1-4.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, Knies at the moment is closer to 4th line/healthy scratch come playoff time than the top two lines.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad