Line Combos: Playoff Line Combos

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
With the possibility of Booth returning for the playoffs, what do you suspect will be the line combos. I'd like to see:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown)
Booth Roy Higgins
Weise Lapierre Kassian

or

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows (shutdown)
Higgins Roy Hansen
Booth Lapierre Weise

pp

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Edler Roy

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
Booth won't be returning for the playoffs, if he does return it would be for round three, but I think that's pushing it.

Lines for at least the first two rounds are going to look like they are when Kesler returns, which will probably be:

Sedins-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Raymond/Kassian
Kassian/Raymond-Kesler-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Pinnizotto

Edler-Garrison
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Tanev-Ballard(If AV doesn't think Alberts would do better)

PP
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kesler-Garrison/Edler

This has been the PP unit for the Canucks for the past two seasons. Kesler in front of the net, the shot from the point, and the Sedins for cycling. You never know how this unit will score.

Higgins-Roy-Kassian
Edler-Bieksa

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Booth - Lapierre - Weise
Schroeder

Edler - Hamhuis
Bieksa - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Barker

Schneider
Luongo

PP #1
Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Edler - Garrison

PP #2
Higgins - Roy - Burrows
Ballard - Bieksa

PK #1
Kesler - Burrows
Hamhuis - Tanev

PK #2
Lapierre - Hansen
Edler - Garrison

That'd be my lineup.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Roy Higgins
Archibald/Lain Lappy Weise

First three lines will get majority of ice time. Allows us to carry someone like Lain primarly for faceoff duty much like Washington used Beagle last year in the playoffs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Roy Higgins

First three lines will get majority of ice time. Allows us to carry someone like Lain primarly for faceoff duty much like Washington used Beagle last year in the playoffs.

I predict I'll be the only poster who thinks this is an interesting idea. I'd like to hear more about how Lain has been doing with the Wolves, especially his face-off stats and his ice-time.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Every team has question marks heading into the post season, but I would set our lines as:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Wiese
Schroeder

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

My reasoning for Kassian with the twins would really depend on the matchup. The issue with the Sedins in the playoffs is always a lack of time and space, which the opposition has shown they can take away from them quite easily, especially when facing a Norris type defenseman in Suter or Pietrangelo.

If we play Minnesota, having Kassian with the twins could really make Suter have to focus on dealing with a big body like Kassian and give the twins more space. They also need some protection out there so guys don't take liberties.

You always have the option of going back to Burrows with the Sedins as well if it's a less physical matchup. For example, against the Sharks or the Red Wings you could stick with Daniel, Henrik, and Burrows.

I just like the idea of Kassian banging and crashing and making the other team's top defensive pairing always needing to have their head up and know they're going to get hit hard every time the puck is sent into their zone when they're on the ice.

Now, this is all based on Kassian showing some consistency, which remains to be seen.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Roy - Burrows
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison

Schneider
Luongo

If the Sedins and Kassian struggle, switch Kassian and Burrows because the Sedins and Burrows are the go to line.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I honestly would like to try a prospect in that 4th line LW spot and keep Sestito as a 13th forward. Maybe try Archibald there, or even Mallet. I'm not saying either of those guys are ready, but it would just be nice to give them an audition. You never know if one of those guys would fit right in.

LolClarkson*

With the possibility of Booth returning for the playoffs, what do you suspect will be the line combos. I'd like to see:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown)
Booth Roy Higgins
Weise Lapierre Kassian

or

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows (shutdown)
Higgins Roy Hansen
Booth Lapierre Weise

pp

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Edler Roy

I know we have this homer love for Kesler but he is a third line player before Roy is.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Instead I having just a shutdown line I'd rather go with scoring depth through out the line. All of our lines play fairly a fairly good two way game.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Kesler
Raymond-Scheoeder-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Kassian

If Schroeder can't cut move Kesler into that spot have that be your shut down line and move Kassian up to the Roy line.

The ray/sch/Han line was flying against teams in Thai scenario they will fear on weaker defense pairing and and less defensive forwards as the Sedin Kesler lines will draw the tough matchups.

Plus having a top 6 like this is hard to defend against for any team.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If I'm Alain Vigneault - I tell Zack Kassian he has 3 jobs with the Sedins:

1. Hit opposing defenders
2. Create space for the Sedins
3. Go to the front of the net with your stick on the ice

Simple, straight forward hockey. If he did that with the Sedins consistently he'd dominate in the Playoffs. I'd show him clips of when Byfuglien was playing on a line with Toews and Kane during their run.

LolClarkson*

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Roy Higgins

Raymond Roy and Higgins are second line players.

Roy and Higgins did a fair amount of first line work on their previous teams.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Just wait for an injury to a key player to throw all these line up fantasies to the wind.

LolClarkson*

the better question, could they beat the Pens? not a chance...

Are you aware how old and slow Kunitz, Iginla and Morrow are now ?

The Pens didn't make it out of the first round last year and they sure didn't get knocked out by the champions like we did.;)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Schroeder worked well with Hansen and Raymond why would we not pencil Roy in there and have kassian up with Higgins Kesler? I think it won't matter who Roy plays with he's going to make them all better.

Yup, this.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Pinnizotto

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
The Penguins are a strong team - probably the deepest in the league with a healthy Crosby. But they are no different from every other team in the sense that they need to stay healthy and get great goaltending, the two equalizers in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad