Line Combos: Playoff Line Combos

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Kassian should absolutely not be part of Kesler's line in the playoffs. I think its pretty clear that Kesler should and will be the matchup centre for us, and I don't think Kassian has the conditioning, discipline or defensive prowess to play those VERY important minutes in the playoffs. I like him with Roy, or possibly the 4th line.

I like Kassian's ability to produce offense, and absolutely love his potential if he can get it together consistently but I still have a feeling he is gonna take a dumb penalty at an important time.

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
It would be a shame to split up the Sedins and Burrows but man would a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line give the other teams fits!

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Hansen-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Higgins
Pinned/Sesito-Lapierre-Weise

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown line that can provide offense)
Higgins Roy Kassian (offensive line)
X Lapierre Weise

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Kassian should probably not be in the lineup during the playoffs, let alone be anywhere near a top-6 spot. Based on what I've seen this season, there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here based on what people think he can become, and not what he currently is.

He's not consistent enough to warrant giving any kind of important minutes to, and he just hasn't been able to find that balance between being offensive-minded and being physical, because realistically, he has to be both for him to be effective for us. He's not good enough in either specific area to do just one thing.

People were saying similar things about seguin in his first year.

Mdmopa1

Mar 1, 2012
Upstate, New York
With the injuries now..

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

Put Kassian on the 4th line when Higgins comes back.

Edler-Bieksa
Hamhuis-Garrison
Alberts-Ballard

Take Ballard out for Tanev, because I think Alberts size will be more useful for the playoffs than Ballard's questionable play of recent. Plus Alberts has been playing much smarter and poised lately IMO.

I would love to see a power play of...

Roy-Sedin-Kesler
Sedin-Edler

Just completely stack the first unit. Roy's puck handling skills and play making ability would mesh so well with the Sedin's IMO. Park Kesler in front, and have Edler taking bombs from the point.

I think this might be the solution to our PP troubles; although the PP of the past few games has maybe looked the best it has all season. One can dream though..:naughty:

Last edited:

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far. And I'm missing the epic speed of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, I'd really like to see that come back. It's kind of unorthodox but I like the idea of:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Pinizotto, Sestito, Ebbett...Booth?

Now obviously that is not a traditional lineup and I have to think that the bottom three lines would not see the same style of ice-time distribution as you'd usually see where the fourth line plays like ten minutes and all that...it's much more balanced. For a team trying to counter that, there is really no place to hide and the offensive threat - and the physical ability - is spread out real well. Every line is dangerous, every line has some grit, every line is fast, real tough to match up against.

And if y'all be laughing at me for having Roy on the fourth line...well...guess what just happened? :) Although, with Lapierre and Ebbett, but still the point stands.

Last edited:

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
For Playoffs

Sedins - Burrows/Kassian
Booth(assuming he is healthy) - Kesler - Kassian/Burrows/Raymond
Higgins - Roy - Hansen/Raymond
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen/Kassian

Garrison - Hamhuis
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Wizeman*

Smokey McCanucks;63730645[B said:
]Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far[/B].

They actually had quite a bit of chemistry. Even the announcers were commenting on the chemistry between Kesler and Kassian.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kassian should absolutely not be part of Kesler's line in the playoffs. I think its pretty clear that Kesler should and will be the matchup centre for us, and I don't think Kassian has the conditioning, discipline or defensive prowess to play those VERY important minutes in the playoffs. I like him with Roy, or possibly the 4th line.

I like Kassian's ability to produce offense, and absolutely love his potential if he can get it together consistently but I still have a feeling he is gonna take a dumb penalty at an important time.

Agreed.

Kesler has to be the matchup center come playoffs. And assuming that's the case, i just don't trust Kassian out there with him. Who knows what sort of critical moment Kassian might lose his man defensively or toss up a gift breakout for the other team in the offensive zone.

I'd also like to see him with Roy, where you can hopefully show off the flashes of vision and passing ability Kassian has. You know...the reason we aquired him? As a big body who can play with skill...not as another Dale Weise?

I've also seen some flashes of the old Raymond+Kesler chemistry that we saw when those two were having a career year together. I mean, that drop pass tonight in the Calgary game...is there any single area on the ice where Kesler is more excited to have the puck than that? Streaking into the zone with the puck on a tee just inside the blueline and nobody between him and the net? That's his jam.

And there have been plenty of other little plays that show me what i saw when they were deemed to have 'great chemistry' a couple years ago. Their speed also poses a serious problem for defenders.

Add Hansen to that mix, and you've got everything that 'speed line' with Schroeder offered...with a legitimate Selke calibre shutdown center in between. Kesler is also fast, not sure if people forgot this. It's also a line that i'd trust defensively out against any line in the entire league. The speed, puck pursuit and defensively intelligence of that line is superb. And it will score goes as well...especially off transition, where all 3 players are at their best.

Leaves Higgins-Roy-Kassian as the other line. A line that can be a total menace on the cycle game, where they're all at their best...and it keeps a guy like Kassian with a skilled passer like Roy who can make the most of Kassian's puck protection abilities along the boards down low in the offensive zone.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Wiese
Schroeder

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

I agree. So put Kassian with the Sedins. Let him absorb the other team's top D with the Sedins. Get Burrows on that shut-down line with Kesler and Raymond.

And take our third line in your pools coz they're going to see the easiest minutes and be just as capable as any of the other lines.

Reserve the fourth line to very limited minutes, until up by at least a couple.

Profit.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far. And I'm missing the epic speed of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, I'd really like to see that come back. It's kind of unorthodox but I like the idea of:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Pinizotto, Sestito, Ebbett...Booth?

Now obviously that is not a traditional lineup and I have to think that the bottom three lines would not see the same style of ice-time distribution as you'd usually see where the fourth line plays like ten minutes and all that...it's much more balanced. For a team trying to counter that, there is really no place to hide and the offensive threat - and the physical ability - is spread out real well. Every line is dangerous, every line has some grit, every line is fast, real tough to match up against.

And if y'all be laughing at me for having Roy on the fourth line...well...guess what just happened? :) Although, with Lapierre and Ebbett, but still the point stands.

You DO realize Roy is basically an amped up version of Schroeder is pretty much every way, right ? Size, skill set, speed, etc.

For what you're looking for, you just have to put Raymond with Roy and Hansen.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Wiese
Schroeder

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

I agree. So put Kassian with the Sedins. Let him absorb the other team's top D with the Sedins. Get Burrows on that shut-down line with Kesler and Raymond.

And take our third line in your pools coz they're going to see the easiest minutes and be just as capable as any of the other lines.

Reserve the fourth line to very limited minutes, until up by at least a couple.

Profit.

The flaw in this whole concept, is that teams tend to live and die by what their top line does. And in our case...that's obviously the Sedins. Why neuter them and diminish their effectiveness by sticking them with Kassian, just to get a slightly better 'shutdown' line? Especially when the dropoff defensively from Burrows to Hansen is pretty negligible?

Wizeman*

I fear many may be underestimating how good Kassian already is. I find it almost impossible to believe that AV is going to move Burrows away from the Twins.

I think the real issue is who can play better defensively, and who can help Roy create more. If we wish to have a shut down line that can neutralize the other top line, while still having Burrows with the twins, and you have to have SOME defensive strength on the Roy line, thus Hansen. So it then it comes down to Raymond and Higgins.

Its my opinion Higgins is stronger and better defensively than Raymond. Ergo......

Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Kesler Kassian
Raymond Roy Hansen
Weise Lappy Sestito
Schroeder

I think we need to give Jordan the playoff experience . I dont think giving it to Ebbet accomplishes anything.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Agreed.

Kesler has to be the matchup center come playoffs. And assuming that's the case, i just don't trust Kassian out there with him. Who knows what sort of critical moment Kassian might lose his man defensively or toss up a gift breakout for the other team in the offensive zone.

I'd also like to see him with Roy, where you can hopefully show off the flashes of vision and passing ability Kassian has. You know...the reason we aquired him? As a big body who can play with skill...not as another Dale Weise?

I've also seen some flashes of the old Raymond+Kesler chemistry that we saw when those two were having a career year together. I mean, that drop pass tonight in the Calgary game...is there any single area on the ice where Kesler is more excited to have the puck than that? Streaking into the zone with the puck on a tee just inside the blueline and nobody between him and the net? That's his jam.

And there have been plenty of other little plays that show me what i saw when they were deemed to have 'great chemistry' a couple years ago. Their speed also poses a serious problem for defenders.

Add Hansen to that mix, and you've got everything that 'speed line' with Schroeder offered...with a legitimate Selke calibre shutdown center in between. Kesler is also fast, not sure if people forgot this. It's also a line that i'd trust defensively out against any line in the entire league. The speed, puck pursuit and defensively intelligence of that line is superb. And it will score goes as well...especially off transition, where all 3 players are at their best.

Leaves Higgins-Roy-Kassian as the other line. A line that can be a total menace on the cycle game, where they're all at their best...and it keeps a guy like Kassian with a skilled passer like Roy who can make the most of Kassian's puck protection abilities along the boards down low in the offensive zone.

Mike Richards OWNED Kesler last year

Alflives*

Injuries play too much of a role in the new capped NHL, especially during the play-offs. The best team no longer wins the Cup. The team with the best luck (when it comes to injuries) wins the Cup now. Considering this, it's measurable fact that some players tend to be injured more than others. Kesler is one of those players. Injuries aside, all NHL teams would choose Kesler over M. Richards. However, a team (wanting to win a Cup) cannot exclude injuries, so flippantly.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown line that can provide offense)
Higgins Roy Kassian (offensive line)
X Lapierre Weise

Hansen and Roy don't seem to have much chemistry. Hansen is more north-south, like Kesler, and could probably help Kesler pushing the pace up and down the ice with Raymond. Higgins, Roy, and Kassian seem more like puck possession players, so maybe this will work better.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Higgins
Ebbett/Sesito-Lapierre-Weise

If Booth is healthy
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
whoever-Lapierre-Kassian

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Sedin, Sedin, Burrows
Higgins, Kesler, Hansen
Raymond, Roy, Kassian
Ballard, Lapierre, Weise

Garrison, Hamhuis
Bieksa, Edler
Tanev, Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree with NFITO's suggestion.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Roy - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler - Garrison (second try)
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Kesler was hurt.

There's the injury thing...

But also, most players on the Kings owned somebody on the Canucks last year. :laugh: And the fact that Kesler vs. Richards was often the matchup, is...not the sort of 'shutdown' role i'd want to see Kesler playing, the sort where he really thrives. A healthy Kesler, is 100% the guy i want head to head with Kopitar, as often as is reasonably possible.

I'm going by what these guys are capable of...and we've seen that Kesler can be an elite 'matchup guy', who can break even or come out on top of matchups against guys like Toews, Thornton, etc.

And in terms of linemates, that ability is still maximized with Raymond+Hansen on Kesler's wings. Roy line playing 'softer' minutes, Sedins automatically draw the 'defensive go-tos' of whatever team. Obviously it's shaken up a bit, if we come up against another less conventional team like say Detroit.

But as a whole, i still stand by:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (works better than anything else)
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen (so much speed, and a line you can depend on defensively)
Higgins-Roy-Kassian (chemistry and big bodies to shield Roy a bit)
Pinizzotto-Lappy-Weise (crash, bang, harass, antagonize)

Hamhuis-Bieksa (proven chemistry)
Edler-Garrison (someone responsible to babysit Edler)
Ballard-Tanev (proven chemistry and as reliable a bottom-pairing as you're gonna get)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It would be a shame to split up the Sedins and Burrows but man would a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line give the other teams fits!

I remember when that line actually was our designated shutdown line before that fateful decision by AV to put Burrows and Kesler in scoring roles in the top 6.

Not an AV fan but that was definitely one of the best and most pivotal coaching moves in Canucks history. This team wouldn't be what it is if Kesler and Burrows didn't develop into top 6 forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad