Line Combos: Playoff Line Combos

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why are so many people ready to hand Kassian the top line spot? I'd like to see him used there as a 'change-up', with his typical 'post pk shifts' with the Twins, but he hasn't really shown anything to indicate he's ready for that sort of role full time at this point. He had a handful of good games to start the year there, but he's not really playing as effectively right now, and i don't think it's any coincidence that Burrows back on that line kickstarted the Twins. Kassian should be the 'alternative' on the Sedins' wing...the option we go to when the physicality of a game ramps way up and/or the Sedins are getting manhandled physically.

And if/when Booth returns, it's going to take him plenty of time to get back up to speed, especially if he's being tossed straight into playoff hockey after all this time off with injury. The best bet is to put him on the 4th line and tell him to just go out there and hit some guys, take the puck hard to the net and you can monitor his minutes, keeping him under 10 in a fairly sheltered role where he won't be a major liability.

I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Kassian
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen
Pinizzotto/Booth-Lapierre-Weise

We have so many options i love it ! I hope edler and garrison get a few games together before the playoffs. Now that Garrison is playing lights out lets see how they do.

Hamjuice
edson
Tallard

This, for the defence. I really hope that they give Edler-Garrison a chance to work and gain some familiarity before the playoffs. Now is the time to experiment with this and ride out whatever potential bumps in the road as they get to know each others' tendencies, etc. I don't want to see us stagger into the playoffs and then have AV/Bowness finally realize that Edler+Bieksa just does not work, and Bieksa in general without Hamhuis is just a waste. Keeping in mind, HamJuice was a phenomenal pairing, and one that we leaned on heavily to get us to a cup final playing a lot of low scoring defensive games. And we all know Ballard+Tanev is a great bottom-pairing that you can roll out and not have to worry about against anyone too much.

I just really hope they get on top of this and give it a shot. There's no good reason not to at least try this. Hamhuis-Garrison has been...okay, but not at the level of Hamhuis+Bieksa, and in no way does it make sense to stick two of our most volatile defenders together in Edler+Bieksa. It's just a series of disasters waiting to happen. And if Garrison truly is the 'defensive rock' he's billed as, he should be the ideal candidate to babysit Edler.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
But is it complete enough to beat any of the kings hawks ducks in a 7 game series?

Without a doubt in my mind, yes. We're our own downfall. Not saying Chicago, LA, Anaheim aren't good, they are, but I think we often beat ourselves a lot more.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I actually like that a lot. My only question is if sticking Booth and Lapierre on Kesler's wing would promote any chemistry. I doubt it, but if it does work that would be perfect.

That line is the most unconventional. I think the chemistry will be largely intermittent, or non-existent, but it doesn't matter. The point of it is to have 3 strong transition forwards, each of which pushes the puck from the Dzone into the offensive zone. These three do that, and it's their primary function. Whatever happens in the offensive zone after that could be havoc or harmony, can't say. All that matters is it's happening in their zone.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Healthy, yes. But we're poorly prepared against injuries. We made as far as we did in 2010-11 because we had fairly decent spares in Rome, Tambellini, Hodgson, etc.

come playoff time I really don't think we have too worse of spares since we will have Schroeder, Ebbett, and possibly Jensen. Also Alberts is a better depth guy than a lot of us give him credit for.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Kassian
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen

Yeah, I like those lines. However, I'd rather slot in Sestito instead of Pinner only because he's a bigger body and can dish out more hurt with his hits.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise
Pinizzotto

I know Higgins and Roy have looked good together in their short stint so far, but Kesler and Raymond just doesn't seem to work. It's either Higgins or Raymond on Kesler's LW, so I'm more inclined to go with a player that has chemistry with everyone really, in Higgins.

Roy is a pure playmaker, and Raymond has a good scoring touch right now, and I believe a duo like that could really work. Throw in Hansen/Kassian, and that's one hell of a third line, that can produce and be good defensively.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I like those lines. However, I'd rather slot in Sestito instead of Pinner only because he's a bigger body and can dish out more hurt with his hits.

Either way works. I trust Pinizzotto a little bit more as an actual hockey player, to not be a liability on the ice.

But swapping between the two is conceivable depending on the opponent and the tone of the series. If we need that extra beef in the lineup, Sestito could draw in. Keep them all fresh and motivated as well. With Sestito, you can always play him early to set the tone, and double shift some of the other wingers later in the game if things are tight. Higgins/Raymond/Hansen/Kassian could all handle an extra shift each if needed, i'm sure.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
come playoff time I really don't think we have too worse of spares since we will have Schroeder, Ebbett, and possibly Jensen. Also Alberts is a better depth guy than a lot of us give him credit for.
We're far worse of spares for defense.

in 2011, we had

Rome
Tanev
Alberts
Sweatt

This year we have

Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
???

And by all accounts, Alberts was better in 2011

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why are so many people ready to hand Kassian the top line spot? I'd like to see him used there as a 'change-up', with his typical 'post pk shifts' with the Twins, but he hasn't really shown anything to indicate he's ready for that sort of role full time at this point. He had a handful of good games to start the year there, but he's not really playing as effectively right now, and i don't think it's any coincidence that Burrows back on that line kickstarted the Twins. Kassian should be the 'alternative' on the Sedins' wing...the option we go to when the physicality of a game ramps way up and/or the Sedins are getting manhandled physically.

And if/when Booth returns, it's going to take him plenty of time to get back up to speed, especially if he's being tossed straight into playoff hockey after all this time off with injury. The best bet is to put him on the 4th line and tell him to just go out there and hit some guys, take the puck hard to the net and you can monitor his minutes, keeping him under 10 in a fairly sheltered role where he won't be a major liability.

I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Kassian
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen

This, for the defence. I really hope that they give Edler-Garrison a chance to work and gain some familiarity before the playoffs. Now is the time to experiment with this and ride out whatever potential bumps in the road as they get to know each others' tendencies, etc. I don't want to see us stagger into the playoffs and then have AV/Bowness finally realize that Edler+Bieksa just does not work, and Bieksa in general without Hamhuis is just a waste. Keeping in mind, HamJuice was a phenomenal pairing, and one that we leaned on heavily to get us to a cup final playing a lot of low scoring defensive games. And we all know Ballard+Tanev is a great bottom-pairing that you can roll out and not have to worry about against anyone too much.

I just really hope they get on top of this and give it a shot. There's no good reason not to at least try this. Hamhuis-Garrison has been...okay, but not at the level of Hamhuis+Bieksa, and in no way does it make sense to stick two of our most volatile defenders together in Edler+Bieksa. It's just a series of disasters waiting to happen. And if Garrison truly is the 'defensive rock' he's billed as, he should be the ideal candidate to babysit Edler.
Simply because it could potentially work, and makes the rest of the lines look exponentially better. Kassian is streaky player, if he goes on a tear he adds a more interesting dimension to that line than Burrows does.

In other words, it's all just wishful thinking.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Roy - Raymond
Booth - Lapierre - Weise

If that top line can be at least adequate, that type of lineup would be brutal for other teams to match up against. That's a solid top line that doesn't get pushed around easily, a 2nd line that would outplay, shutdown, and probably even outscore most top lines, a 3rd line that's a legitimate secondary scoring line, and a 4th line with solid role players and David Booth on it wreaking havoc by himself. With excellent chemistry throughout the lineup. That's even better than having 3 legitimate scoring lines, IMO.

But that type of lineup hinges on Kassian being able to hold his own with the twins, which is a tall order in the playoffs. It's not impossible, though.

If not, I would rather not play Raymond and Kesler together.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler (looks like a borderline top line-- exactly the type of players, Kesler needs)
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (excellent offensive chemistry and two-way play)
Booth - Lapierre - Kassian (excellent chemistry that looked like a solid 3rd line when they were together)

I actually think the 2nd option is more practical/realistic, but you cannot play a matching game with it at all.

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen just doesn't look great to me.

Last edited:

Wizeman*

Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins kesler Kassian (shut down)
Raymond Roy Hansen (secondary scoring)
Weise Lappy Sestito
Schroeder

Defense:

Hamhuis Bieksa (shutdown)
Edler Garrison (play with sedins if possible)
Tanev Ballard (eat up as many minutes as we dare try to get away with)
Alberts

Goalie
Schneids
Lui

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kassian on a shutdown line just doesn't compute for me, Hansen seems to have horrible chemistry with Roy, but none of the other potential shutdown lines seems to work chemistry-wise.

This is why I'm pushing so hard for Burrows - Kesler - Hansen at all costs. That line would dominate the playoffs, shutting everyone down while having amazing chemistry and contributing as a 50 - 60 - 50 point type offensive line IMO. I would be VERY surprised if any #1 line would be able to get much done against these guys flying all over the ice.

Hell, I'd welcome the 2008 version of that line on this team with open arms, let alone this new version where each of them is a core all-around legitimate 2nd line+ player on their own. It's also one of the few scenarios where I don't see Kesler playing with Tunnelvision. (the others being playing with Roy and playing with the Sedins, both underutilized at wing)

If you can have that, in addition to the Sedins on one line and Higgins with Roy on another, with solid support guys like Raymond, Kassian, and Booth to fill it out, boy I just don't understand why you wouldn't.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Kassian on a shutdown line just doesn't compute for me, Hansen seems to have horrible chemistry with Roy, but none of the other potential shutdown lines seems to work chemistry-wise.

This is why I'm pushing so hard for Burrows - Kesler - Hansen at all costs. That line would dominate the playoffs, shutting everyone down while having amazing chemistry and contributing as a 50 - 60 - 50 point type offensive line IMO. I would be VERY surprised if any #1 line would be able to get much done against these guys flying all over the ice.

Hell, I'd welcome the 2008 version of that line on this team with open arms, let alone this new version where each of them is a clutch, core offensive player. It's also one of the few scenarios where I don't see Kesler playing with Tunnelvision.

Yeah I'm not digging Hansen with Roy. Not a huge deal really, but I really would like a Burrows-Kesler-Hansen.

For some reason I see Kassian doing very well with Roy if given the chance.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been lobbying hard for that line to be reunited ever since I saw the underedeveloped version of that line in action. I loved it-- it gave teams absolute fits, and everyone was producing above their skill level and playing like they had eyes in the back of their head due to this excellent chemistry they all had. They were each flying out there as a unit.

First 15 games of the 2008-2009 season (this is a ballpark of when they played together, again, I'm not totally clear)

Hansen: 15gp, 3g, 10p, +7
Burrows: 15gp, 4g, 10p, +7
Kesler: 15gp, 4g, 11p, +4
Total: 11g, 31p, +18

D Sedin: 15gp, 5g, 12p, +3
H Sedin: 15gp, 3g, 14p, +2
Bernier: 15gp, 4g, 8p, Even
Total: 12g, 34p, +5

with an even better preseason before that if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind, both Burrows and Kesler were only 30-40 point players before this, and Hansen was just breaking into the league as a 4th liner, AND that line was being matched up against the opposition's top lines to start the season. Also keep in mind that Burrows and Kesler were only able to MATCH those numbers by the end of the year by having incredible stretches playing with far superior players like the Sedins, Sundin, and Demitra at the time. Hansen didn't look a fraction as good again off that line until developing for a few years later. He's only been able to approach those numbers this year.

They were flat out dominant, outplayed the Sedin line as a group of supposedly offensively challenged 3rd/4th liners (while virtually matching their line's production), and I think it's absolutely baffling why they haven't been reunited since, as every iteration that's appeared again has had excellent results in tough/clutch scenarios (Burrows with Kesler, Burrows with Hansen, although Kesler with Hansen hasn't really clicked yet)

I'm not saying that at that point in their careers, they would have continued putting up numbers like that playing together, but considering that all three of them have caught up to those totals at this point and have become damn great players in their own right, I'm completely drooling about what they could do together if united with their current level of play. I have no doubt that they would at least continue to produce at or improve on their current pace, while completely shutting down and outplaying any line they're faced against. I'm not saying that Burrows/Kesler are anywhere near Datsyuk/Zetterberg, but I can absolutely see that line having that "type" of impact that very few teams if any would be able to counter in the playoffs.

It's a complete waste of the potential of these guys not to put them together in the playoffs, IMO, especially if you can afford to do that while still having the Sedins on another line and Higgins with Roy on another one, with plenty of solid support guys like Booth, Kassian, and Raymond to round those lines out.
Yeah I'm not digging Hansen with Roy. Not a huge deal really, but I really would like a Burrows-Kesler-Hansen.

For some reason I see Kassian doing very well with Roy if given the chance.
Other than the Sedins, Higgins and Roy are the only other players who play the game at the type of speed that Kassian does.

It's probably going to be poor asset management not to play him on that line, IMO.

Hypothetically, I also think a Booth - Roy - Kassian twin towers thing would work incredibly well. Too bad Booth is such a question mark.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I've been lobbying for that line to be reunited ever since I saw the underedeveloped version of that line in action. I loved it-- it gave teams absolute fits, and everyone was producing above their skill level due to this excellent chemistry they all had. They were each flying out there as a unit.

First 15 games of the 2008-2009 season (this is a ballpark of when they played together, again, I'm not totally clear)

Hansen: 15gp, 3g, 10p
Burrows: 15gp, 4g, 10p
Kesler: 15gp, 4g, 11p

with an even better preseason before that if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind, both Burrows and Kesler were only 30-40 point players before this, and Hansen was just breaking into the league as a 4th liner.Other than the Sedins, Higgins and Roy are the only other players who play the game at the type of speed that Kassian does.

It's probably going to be poor asset management not to play him on that line, IMO.

Hypothetically, I also think a Booth - Roy - Kassian twin towers thing would work incredibly well. Too bad Booth is such a question mark.

Pretty much. I was super excited about Booth and Kassian together, was just really pissed about Lapierre sucking the potential offense out of that line. Roy would have been really nice to at least get a view there. Higgins usually looks good with everyone and we know he's good with Kesler, so it's not a total travesty to move him between the two lines as necessary.

Could be Jensen-Roy-Kassian next year if we retain Roy. Kass and Nicklas had some potent shifts out there where the potential was just filthy.

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Kassian
Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

I think this setup gives us a well-balanced attack. Kesler's line would be a checking line that could also score, and they would draw the tougher matchups so that Roy's line could be somewhat sheltered. If Raymond plays the way he has for most of this season and Kassian plays a strong game along the boards and in front of the net, that could be a good second scoring line.

If we need a goal late in a game, we can load up 2 scoring lines with Kesler on Roy's wing.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Raymond-Kesler-Kassian
Weise-Lapierre-Pinizzotto
(Sestito, Ebbett)

Garrison-Edler
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Tanev-Ballard

- It really is a shame we couldn't add one more top-9 body at the deadline, like a Clowe or Clarkson, and that Booth is unlikely to be healthy. I would love to have been able to put Kassian on the 4th line, because I feel like top-9 scoring expectations in the playoffs might be a little too much pressure for him.
- I think, forward-wise, we line up well with any (if not all) of the WC teams, especially the top-9. I do not think that this is "as deep a team as we've ever had", as has been stated elsewhere in the thread; that 2010/11 finals team, when healthy, was Marianas Trench-deep.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
No, he really isn't.

He clearly is. You have two lines with tweener wingers, which will play about equivalent minutes. Which of the lines will be getting the tough checking matchups, which is how you typically define the role of a checking line?

Alflives*

He clearly is. You have two lines with tweener wingers, which will play about equivalent minutes. Which of the lines will be getting the tough checking matchups, which is how you typically define the role of a checking line?

Kesler is the Canuck's next best forward to H. Sedin. That should not be in question. What should be of concern is the poor and soft play of D. Sedin. He appears to be playing injured. Does he have a bad back?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Odds are we will play STL or MIN... STL will be a difficult match up for us imo.

Agreed. I'd much rather play SJ or Minny. STL reminds me a bit of LA last year, but with less talent at center and no forward like Kopitar.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Kassian should probably not be in the lineup during the playoffs, let alone be anywhere near a top-6 spot. Based on what I've seen this season, there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here based on what people think he can become, and not what he currently is.

He's not consistent enough to warrant giving any kind of important minutes to, and he just hasn't been able to find that balance between being offensive-minded and being physical, because realistically, he has to be both for him to be effective for us. He's not good enough in either specific area to do just one thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad