Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Stop dreaming about the playoffs, today's loss is the final nail in the coffin!

It's a playoff elimination countdown thread.

The last nails have been going in the coffin for some time now, lol.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So let's say it takes 98 points to make the playoffs in the best case scenario (I think it may take possibly 100 points in the Eastern Conference this year), and the Canadiens only have 28 games left, that means they would need a record similar to 20-5-3 to give themselves a chance. I'm definitely a positive person, but i'm also a realistic person, and that more than likely ain't happening...The good news in all this is that it will probably be very clear (if it isn't already) for Bergy in 3 weeks before the trade deadline.

johnpaulws

Jan 24, 2020
So let's say it takes 98 points to make the playoffs in the best case scenario (I think it may take possibly 100 points in the Eastern Conference this year), and the Canadiens only have 28 games left, that means they would need a record similar to 20-5-3 to give themselves a chance. I'm definitely a positive person, but i'm also a realistic person, and that more than likely ain't happening...The good news in all this is that it will probably be very clear (if it isn't already) for Bergy in 3 weeks before the trade deadline.

it won't make any difference,

MB won't do anything major at the deadline,

he wants to make the playoffs next season, he isn't going to weaken the team for next year (even though that would be best for long term)

tatar and petry will both be here next season, its not what i want, but its reality....or at least MBs reality

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
what's it now 6.5?

Sounds right. If we use 96 points as our playoff number, we need 35 points in our last 24 games, which is 17-6-1 at the minimum.

I think we need 98 points to have a shot which actually puts the magic number at 5.5.

Naturally, this also means we are counting on the teams we are chasing to falter as well.

Reactions: Gravity

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the loss doesn't change much, they were very unlikely to make the playoffs being as they don't have the talent to win 80% of their remaining games or whatever it would take.

But what's the point of a tank thread, there's nothing to talk about, they aren't tanking, they aren't rebuilding, they likely aren't do much of anything. Face it no matter how bad you want it, MB isn't going anywhere, Molson isn't going, I doubt Julien or Timmins are either. We likely end up picking around 13th unless we get super lucky at the lottery and we likely aren't trading any main assets like Petry, Domi, Tatar cause we got to try to make the playoffs next year cause you know all you have to do is make the playoffs and then anything can happen.

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
the loss doesn't change much, they were very unlikely to make the playoffs being as they don't have the talent to win 80% of their remaining games or whatever it would take.

But what's the point of a tank thread, there's nothing to talk about, they aren't tanking, they aren't rebuilding, they likely aren't do much of anything. Face it no matter how bad you want it, MB isn't going anywhere, Molson isn't going, I doubt Julien or Timmins are either. We likely end up picking around 13th unless we get super lucky at the lottery and we likely aren't trading any main assets like Petry, Domi, Tatar cause we got to try to make the playoffs next year cause you know all you have to do is make the playoffs and then anything can happen.
Bingo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I changed it to 6, if you guys come up with a different number just post it and I'll change it at some point.

6 is fine as it's looking more and more like it will take at least 98 points to get in. Here are the 5 most likely scenarios:

If we lose 6.5 more games in our next 24, we can't get to 97 points.
If we lose 6 more games in our next 24, we can't get to 98 points.
If we lose 5.5 more games in our next 24, we can't get to 99 points.
If we lose 5 more games in our next 24, we can't get to 100 points.

But this upcoming week could be pretty much the final knockout punch with Boston and then Pittsburgh and Dallas back to back.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

With all due respect, and you've earned quite a bit from me over the years, this is only your opinion. Many others, including myself, think there are possibilities that may not agree with your opinions on the matter.

It's already been made quite clear that a lot of reasonable discussion is being frowned upon, and a single thread was created for those posters who choose to discuss the matters of rebuilding, replacing management, moves before the deadline, etc.

Closing that thread unilaterally is just another slap in the face to those who choose to discuss these things.

Honestly, this place was more interesting when all opinions were not only tolerated, but encouraged. Vive la difference!!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With all due respect, and you've earned quite a bit from me over the years, this is only your opinion. Many others, including myself, think there are possibilities that may not agree with your opinions on the matter.

It's already been made quite clear that a lot of reasonable discussion is being frowned upon, and a single thread was created for those posters who choose to discuss the matters of rebuilding, replacing management, moves before the deadline, etc.

Closing that thread unilaterally is just another slap in the face to those who choose to discuss these things.

Honestly, this place was more interesting when all opinions were not only tolerated, but encouraged. Vive la difference!!

it was just going on off topic, tell me what is there to talk about? We are going to miss the playoffs again and so what does Molson do about it? Do you think MB gets fired, does anyone? Do you see Julien getting fired? Timmins? So no changes likely coming there.

Unless Price gets injured we aren't likely picking inside the top 10 this summer unless we get really lucky at the draft. Does anyone see us getting a top 5, top 7 or 8 pick? So we aren't tanking unless injuries start to pile up again.

What about trades, anyone think MB trades anyone of value? Does anyone believe he trades any of Petry, Domi, Tatar? Maybe if we start losing but no way does it happen now with the being close enough to the playoffs were he can just say if only we didn't have so many injuries, blah blah blah. Next year we could make the playoffs.

So what is there to talk about? the drive for 12th OA, or the hope we trade Thompson for a 5th?

Use the playoff elimination thread then if anyone feels there's any hope for any of these things to happen, talk about tanking until you are blue in the face, but it's not going to change anything, we are stuck in the middle for the foreseeable future, who honestly can disagree and tell me we aren't?

Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 6

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
it was just going on off topic, tell me what is there to talk about? We are going to miss the playoffs again and so what does Molson do about it? Do you think MB gets fired, does anyone? Do you see Julien getting fired? Timmins? So no changes likely coming there.

Unless Price gets injured we aren't likely picking inside the top 10 this summer unless we get really lucky at the draft. Does anyone see us getting a top 5, top 7 or 8 pick? So we aren't tanking unless injuries start to pile up again.

What about trades, anyone think MB trades anyone of value? Does anyone believe he trades any of Petry, Domi, Tatar? Maybe if we start losing but no way does it happen now with the being close enough to the playoffs were he can just say if only we didn't have so many injuries, blah blah blah. Next year we could make the playoffs.

So what is there to talk about? the drive for 12th OA, or the hope we trade Thompson for a 5th?

Use the playoff elimination thread then if anyone feels there's any hope for any of these things to happen, talk about tanking until you are blue in the face, but it's not going to change anything, we are stuck in the middle for the foreseeable future, who honestly can disagree and tell me we aren't?

Do any of our discussions here change anything that happens with the Habs? We discuss everything here because there's an interest in every facet of the team.

Was the Trade Proposal thread closed because some of the most ridiculous thoughts in the history of the English language have been written there? It's there because posters enjoy sharing their fantasies about improving the team.

This is no different. The Habs Board used to be among the most active of all on HF, with some of the best posters ever enthusiastically willing to share their ideas. I've noticed, as I'm sure you have and as have most everyone else who frequents here, that virtually every thread is mired in disinterest. GDTs that always made it to a second thread are unheard of. Regular threads are stale and slow moving.

I don't believe it's because people don't care. In my opinion it's because this Board is not as friendly and welcoming to all ideas as it once was. We were never supposed to be like teenage girls yapping about the hair on their favourite Monkee. (Davy Jones was the worst!)

Unilaterally closing a thread that a lot of posters saw as a last refuge (that was forced on them) won't make them look for another thread. I believe it'll make them find alternatives, and that will be a very sad outcome.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Do any of our discussions here change anything that happens with the Habs? We discuss everything here because there's an interest in every facet of the team.

Was the Trade Proposal thread closed because some of the most ridiculous thoughts in the history of the English language have been written there? It's there because posters enjoy sharing their fantasies about improving the team.

This is no different. The Habs Board used to be among the most active of all on HF, with some of the best posters ever enthusiastically willing to share their ideas. I've noticed, as I'm sure you have and as have most everyone else who frequents here, that virtually every thread is mired in disinterest. GDTs that always made it to a second thread are unheard of. Regular threads are stale and slow moving.

I don't believe it's because people don't care. In my opinion it's because this Board is not as friendly and welcoming to all ideas as it once was. We were never supposed to be like teenage girls yapping about the hair on their favourite Monkee. (Davy Jones was the worst!)

Unilaterally closing a thread that a lot of posters saw as a last refuge (that was forced on them) won't make them look for another thread. I believe it'll make them find alternatives, and that will be a very sad outcome.
I'm here out of habits. Idgas anymore. This board is dead and it's not suprising.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Not the point. We should be allowed to speculate, rightly or wrongly. The board is dying a slow death because TANK talk is pretty much not allowed. Just because some whined about it, gifs got banned, talk got banned, talk that was loosely related got banned.

OK lets all just sit here and say "YAY we missed another year of playoffs. Oh well Lets hope for better next year! Go Habs Go!!!"

Whats the point of even posting then? I am on afternoons and have tons of time to post with the wife being asleep, frankly I have moved to other pastures to discuss what the team should do going forward.

What is happening is ZERO. Sitting still for yet another year. Adding Kovy actually hurt us because it didn't do enough to change this team and it came only after a second 8 game losing streak. Making it too late to be worthwhile. Who the EF cares if we makes the playoffs. Shouldn't even be allowed to be talked about. If we limp into the playoffs after a herculean effort, who is going to be able to play hard through 2 rounds, let alone 4. You need game breaking talent, we aren't there, you need to be healthy, we aren't even there. Why should anyone talk about the playoffs. It isn't happening. But to ban people from talking about the playoffs is illogical as banning them from hoping their team pulls its head out of its ass, moves assets and picks a direction. Win NOW, or Bust for a year or two. We just seem to get high draft picks in terrible years, after a terrible season. So its lose lose. But I am sure MB will blame injuries for this season, while he sat there and did nothing about it through 16 loses.

Continue on with the :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

I agree that a tank/rebuild/mgmt overhaul is unlikely but if we adopt a defeatist approach then Molson wins. We should have more threads demanding change and accountability not less.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Definitely a heartbreaking loss last night. Our PP let us down and losing Danault messed with our lines. The team needs to regroupe and focus on the next game against Boston. GHG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad