Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Montreal Playoffs appearance since after the cup (Only missed the playoffs 8 times, in history, before '93)

83360443_626782831402999_35648280096407552_n.png

Have to conceed though, our worst sequences for playoff round wins is going to be hard to beat.

In the 30's and 40's, we made the playoffs often, but despite that, there's a record of 6 straight years without winning a playoff round (which we'll equal next year if we don't win a round).

That same decade includes a sequence where we only won one single round out of 12 years.

I'm sure Marc has what it takes to equal those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Have to conceed though, our worst sequences for playoff round wins is going to be hard to beat.

In the 30's and 40's, we made the playoffs often, but despite that, there's a record of 6 straight years without winning a playoff round (which we'll equal next year if we don't win a round).

That same decade includes a sequence where we only one single round out of 12 years.

I'm sure Marc has what it takes to equal those.
LOL nice!

Also, the old days, there were less teams, so of course it drastically changes the odds of being in the playoffs.
About Bergevin/Molson, the issue in MTL is that the fanbase is already acquired so they live with the old legends and pray for better now. Unless they draft a "savior" or acquire a few solid elements, ..... more of the same for the Habs. -- edit : I said the "old legends" but I got respect for the Habs Legends!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's two franchise players at the two most important positions... I'd say that's a pretty good start. We have neither of those.

It's a lot easier to acquire depth than it is to find cornerstones worth building a franchise around. Buffalo has done the hardest part. They need to give their team some time to mature and add some complementary pieces and they'll be good to go.
How is that a start? They have had top 10 picks for how many years now? Pretty pathetic to only have 2 players to show for after many years of disastrous failures.

People here have said that Buffalo will be a good team every year for quite a few years now and they still dissapoint like they always do. They still have plenty of holes.

I would be incredibly dissapointed if that were us, having 2 players gifted to us while still having so many holes after numerous top 10 picks.

We did have a franchise player in Carey Price and PK Subban was pretty damn close to, look how that turned out, you are going to need a lot more than just 2 franchise players.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
How is that a start? They have had top 10 picks for how many years now? Pretty pathetic to only have 2 players to show for after many years of disastrous failures.

People here have said that Buffalo will be a good team every year for quite a few years now and they still dissapoint like they always do. They still have plenty of holes.

I would be incredibly dissapointed if that were us, having 2 players gifted to us while still having so many holes after numerous top 10 picks.

We did have a franchise player in Carey Price and PK Subban was pretty damn close to, look how that turned out, you are going to need a lot more than just 2 franchise players.

They have a decent amount of good young players.

I'm not saying they can sit on their hands on their way to a cup in the near future, there's still work to be done obviously. But the foundations are in place, and that's the most important part.

In Montréal we have a tendency to put up brand new windows and neat hardwood floors while the basement is getting flooded.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Down to 52

With 31 games left

how the boat load of teams we're competing against do, determines how many points it takes to get into the playoffs. Here are some scenarios:

If we lose 8.5 more games in our next 31, we can't get to 97 points.
If we lose 8 more games in our next 31, we can't get to 98 points.
If we lose 7.5 more games in our next 31, we can't get to 99 points.
If we lose 7 more games in our next 31, we can't get to 100 points.

Only so many more losses left.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
If we lose more then 15 points in 31 games from now until the end of the season then we dont make it according to last years cut off.

Although teams are looking better this year so that could be 13 of 62p lost and we're officialy out.

Hopefully that's not while drafting 10-15th.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
If we had any hopes of making the playoffs Drouin, Gallagher and Byron needed to come back like a week ago.

It’s a bit too late now.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If we had any hopes of making the playoffs Drouin, Gallagher and Byron needed to come back like a week ago.

It’s a bit too late now.

Really, our hopes died with that last losing streak. Two 8 game losing streaks in a single season is way to much to overcome. And they came within the span of only a couple of months.

Reactions: sandviper

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
LOL nice!

Also, the old days, there were less teams, so of course it drastically changes the odds of being in the playoffs.
About Bergevin/Molson, the issue in MTL is that the fanbase is already acquired so they live with the old legends and pray for better now. Unless they draft a "savior" or acquire a few solid elements, ..... more of the same for the Habs. -- edit : I said the "old legends" but I got respect for the Habs Legends!

How did they do the playoffs when there were 6 teams only? The best 4 straight to semis?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sandin with a nice drop pass for Nylander's goal.

I’ve always liked Sandin and even despite what we know now of our defensive situation, I would had liked to have found a way to move up a few spots that year, giving up what would be our Ylonen pick, to take Sandin.

I took a look at our schedule in February... it looks brutal. Despite that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing around .450 to .550 hockey. So, we won’t bottom out next month but we aren’t going to do well either. Basically, same story we always have.

Really, our hopes died with that last losing streak. Two 8 game losing streaks in a single season is way to much to overcome. And they came within the span of only a couple of months.

Mathematically, that last streak makes it near impossible, but that first streak I still think really did us in. Those were supposed to be our “easy” matches and we just gave away so many points. Granted, the second streak was worse statistically, and while it still ended out season, had we been able to take at least 12-14 points during the first streak, we could still have had a chance.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Forget it, even if you're down by only 6 there's no way you can win that many games left in a row to even make it pass 96. If it's math you want, you'll have to do it for probabilities that aren't 0 as well.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
We are not making the playoffs...heres to an 0-32 ending to another miserable season.......see yous at the draft!!!!!
0-32, sound like the 89, 90 or 91 Nordiques! Sadly, we can't get Lafrenière for sure these days...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We're really in the tougher conference.

6 of the 8 playoff teams in the Western Conference have less points than the 8th seed (Columbus) in the Eastern conference. We'd be 6 points behind #8 seed Vegas, with 2 games in hand on, if we were in the West.

It may take 100+ points to make the playoffs in the East.
If the Habs played in the West, they'd probably just have less points.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
If the Habs played in the West, they'd probably just have less points.
So, last year's narrative wasn't good either. The people saying, even the Habs themselves (had we been in the West, we would be in the playoffs). Yeah, but you would have faced different teams and the season as a whole would be totally different...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So, last year's narrative wasn't good either. The people saying, even the Habs themselves (had we been in the West, we would be in the playoffs). Yeah, but you would have faced different teams and the season as a whole would be totally different...
Precisely, not sure why people even bring this up.
The traveling alone is said to be all the more difficult in the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad