Playoff Avatar Ideas (photoshoppers needed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm playing around with a couple of things. Something martial arts related with a 'Bring It' theme. UM posted a gif that is sort of what I'm talking about further up the page, but I'm not really getting very far with it. I've started playing around with a Jekyll & Hyde theme, which feels like an appropriate reflection of the team's performance. Trying to narrow it down a bit.

Player pic with shadow lifting cup, maybe?
Ay9dtaO.jpg

Maybe something along these lines with black & yellow?
jekyll_hide-783400.jpg

Maybe a graphic novel approach. Photos can be converted to line-art/vectors. Not as nice as actual illustrations, but workable. Probably not an option if I'm the only one who has the software for it, though
9781496500151.jpg

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I want to do a boris badenough and netasha or how ever you spell it from rocky and bullwinkel ...."you got secret message? kill moose." have no idea how it fits but I love it anyway. :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Even if my idea isn't taken the 125th anniversary of professional hockey in Pittsburgh is too perfect to ignore. I will want something to commemorate that in my avatar, especially as we get crap all the time about how we are a new clueless fanbase that should have been moved.

Reactions: theicebox

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm playing around with a couple of things. Something martial arts related with a 'Bring It' theme. UM posted a gif that is sort of what I'm talking about further up the page, but I'm not really getting very far with it. I've started playing around with a Jekyll & Hyde theme, which feels like an appropriate reflection of the team's performance. Trying to narrow it down a bit.

Player pic with shadow lifting cup, maybe?
Ay9dtaO.jpg

Maybe something along these lines with black & yellow?
jekyll_hide-783400.jpg

Maybe a graphic novel approach. Photos can be converted to line-art/vectors. Not as nice as actual illustrations, but workable. Probably not an option if I'm the only one who has the software for it, though
9781496500151.jpg

First two will work but the novel one wont due to graphic size limitations.

I'm really into that shadow one. It's very unique.:thumbu:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
First two will work but the novel one wont due to graphic size limitations.

I'm really into that shadow one. It's very unique.:thumbu:

Yeah, I like the shadow idea, but the J&H concept is eluding me. My muse must be on vacation or something. All I've got so far is a pretty generic set-up.
TeG9x1N.gif

No idea what to do for the text. Almost went with 'Together' 'More Or Less In Life' 'Just Keep Truckin' On' :laugh: Thinking maybe some sort of then and now type wordage with 'Same Goal' on the Cup frame.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a mish/mash of Animal House gifs.

152250022067319139_zpszvz0vddn.gif

tenor.gif

152250020893530112_zpsnw2oghrp.gif

giphy.gif

Then as of this moment, they're on secret double Stanley Cup probation.

Last edited:

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I am not thrilled with most of the ideas so far. How about something to do with the history of hockey in Pennsylvania. I mean to hear fans of other teams talk about us you would think that hockey started here in 2005.

In fact it dates back to 1893. So something connecting the 125th anniversary of professional hockey in Pittsburgh. Along with facts that press that point.

For instance the first indoor rink in North America was here in Pittsburgh in 1899, 13 years before there was one anywhere in Canada.

Pittsburgh Hockey History Timeline

One frame could be 125 years of hockey in Pittsburgh.

One could be a historical fact. Duquesne Gardens. The Hornets. Michel Briere. Mario's first goal. The Pens first cup. The possibilities are endless.

The last frame could be current Pens posing with the cup with three peat over them.
Or, we could go in the exact opposite direction.

Frames talking about how "This new sport called Hockey got its start in a Pittsburgh barn in 1991."

"Inventor of the game, Mario Lemieux, led his plucky group of youngsters to two titles as the preeminent player in the brief history of the sport, and three more titles as owner of the most successful franchise in history."

"Current Superstar Captain, Sidney Crosby is universally hailed as the greatest player of his generation and ranks 2nd all time behind only Lemieux. Most currently wonder if it will ever be possible for another player to approach the legendary status of these two Gods on skates."

Might fuel the fire. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So you know how everyone likes laughing at us for being new fans in 2005 with Sid? What about a "first ever back to back champs" slide and then a bunch of different "first" and "best" slides of things that other teams and players have obviously done before.

Though I think that's unnecessary because 93 Isles is the best.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Or, we could go in the exact opposite direction.

Frames talking about how "This new sport called Hockey got its start in a Pittsburgh barn in 1991."

"Inventor of the game, Mario Lemieux, led his plucky group of youngsters to two titles as the preeminent player in the brief history of the sport, and three more titles as owner of the most successful franchise in history."

"Current Superstar Captain, Sidney Crosby is universally hailed as the greatest player of his generation and ranks 2nd all time behind only Lemieux. Most currently wonder if it will ever be possible for another player to approach the legendary status of these two Gods on skates."

Might fuel the fire. :laugh:

125th anniversary brings that point home more subtly so more effectively. And it is a pretty big milestone. 51 years of Penguin hockey, 125 years of professional hockey in Pitrsburgh, longer than most teams have been in existence in Canada. First indoor rink in the United States OR in Canada.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
We already did bandwagon fan avatars… I don’t remember them exactly but I’m pretty sure it was “established 2005.” And last year was 50th anniversary stuff (or am I imagining that?)

I say just go with the Sesame Street counting ones. According to everyone else on here, our players are big babies anyway :sarcasm: (Google Image Result for https://ak1.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-set/cid/8668640/id/JHt_V0M-3hG0967Xcy_buA/size/y.jpg). Plus, like I said before, there’s trolling potential for those concerned about that.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
So you know how everyone likes laughing at us for being new fans in 2005 with Sid? What about a "first ever back to back champs" slide and then a bunch of different "first" and "best" slides of things that other teams and players have obviously done before.

Though I think that's unnecessary because 93 Isles is the best.
93 Isles makes no sense to me. How would you execute it?

EDIT:
To clarify ... what are you putting on the frames?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bumpus

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
To me, at least, it seems like we're trolling ourselves more than stirring the the rest of the other 30 teams fans.
Yeah, me too. Not that being able to make fun of yourself isn't a great skillset, I just don't know if that's the vibe I want to give off. It would depend in how it was done, I suppose. And so far, no one has come up with anything other than saying 93 Islanders! Dibbs on (Insert Player Name)!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, me too. Not that being able to make fun of yourself isn't a great skillset, I just don't know if that's the vibe I want to give off. It would depend in how it was done, I suppose. And so far, no one has come up with anything other than saying 93 Islanders! Dibbs on (Insert Player Name)!
I don't think there would be anything else to it.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think there would be anything else to it.
By that do you mean trolling ourselves? Or one frame with '93 Isles!' and another with a player? If we're trolling ourselves, I would hope it would at least be cleverly done. I don't think 93 Islanders! Dibbs on (Insert Player Name)! by itself is particularly clever.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
By that do you mean trolling ourselves? Or one frame with '93 Isles!' and another with a player? If we're trolling ourselves, I would hope it would at least be cleverly done. I don't think 93 Islanders! Dibbs on (Insert Player Name)! by itself is particularly clever.
fair enough. I'm not really passionately in to any of the ideas this year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
fair enough. I'm not really passionately in to any of the ideas this year.

The 3 -Pete has legs. I'm really running with what people come up with on making anything.

Me either. I think I'm kind of burnt out, TBTH. On another note, here's the official theme:
DZqUETwVwAAzjLN.jpg

Between this and 'Oh, Sherry' I feel like Journey should feature in somehow ...

Yes. Burnt out is a good way to put it when there's just a few of us putting anything tangible together.

I'd like to see more from others, and as stated above, I do like the Three Pete.

It can be clever on many fronts at least.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The 3 -Pete has legs. I'm really running with what people come up with on making anything.

Yes. Burnt out is a good way to put it when there's just a few of us putting anything tangible together.

I'd like to see more from others, and as stated above, I do like the Three Pete.

It seems like the last couple of years someone has come from out of the woodwork with whatever we end up using. Which is cool, but I don't want to depend on the unpredictable, if you know what I mean. Once we figure out what we're doing and get the template made it's all downhill. Getting there might be a bit of a struggle, though ;)

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Kinda hoping that something better comes along. I just do not find it to be compelling or interesting. Ot maybe I do not get it. The Pens are going for the three-peat. With a play on the word Pete for Peat? Am I missing something?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We've done the Bettman/ new fans 2005.

Keeping it simple might just be the way and stick with the times, Back2Back, Counting with Drac, Three Peat, Underdog and even give it a twist with Jaded's add of 125 years of hockey in Pittsburgh.

Why can't we use'em all? The file will support it. Requests will be left to a single frame with endless options. Just will have to incorporate some of this stuff into a single frame and have them lined up in the perfect order to just tick people off.

Like first and Second frames, Drac counting 3 - Pete's, (two Pete's on first frame and 3rd Pete on second frame.)

Third Frame, Everyone's personal slide here.

Forth frame, 125 years of Pittsburgh hockey with Stanley cup playoff logo and UNDERDOG (Graphic of UnderDog or just the name).

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kinda hoping that something better comes along. I just do not find it to be compelling or interesting. Ot maybe I do not get it. The Pens are going for the three-peat. With a play on the word Pete for Peat? Am I missing something?

Nope. That's on the money. It's a way to bring in the three peat without actually saying we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad