Player Discussion Players you're glad the Bruins missed on - Trade or Free Agent ONLY

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I remember the year Chara hit free agency and it was him and Redden. Hot debate around here and an about 50/50 split as to who wanted whom.

Then the Sens re-signed Redden (somewhat unexpectedly) and left me crossing my fingers for the big man.

Redden’s contract ended up a disaster but if Ottawa had chosen the other guy, it could have been our disaster. And Chara can be credited with a great deal of what has gone right with the Bruins during his time here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Brayden Schenn,

Because had they got Schenn there would be no Charlie Coyle who is younger, on a cheaper deal and will be the better player over the life of the contract.
Pretty certain Schenn is happy with his cup though.

Not insinuating we'd have the cup had we traded for Schenn, but history probably is different for both teams if that deal went through.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I remember the year Chara hit free agency and it was him and Redden. Hot debate around here and an about 50/50 split as to who wanted whom.

Then the Sens re-signed Redden (somewhat unexpectedly) and left me crossing my fingers for the big man.

Redden’s contract ended up a disaster but if Ottawa had chosen the other guy, it could have been our disaster. And Chara can be credited with a great deal of what has gone right with the Bruins during his time here.
If you look at the boards history this guy said the Bruins will sign chara and savard and was laughed at.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pretty certain Schenn is happy with his cup though.

Not insinuating we'd have the cup had we traded for Schenn, but history probably is different for both teams if that deal went through.

Not questioning Schenn's happiness. In fact, I know how happy he is to have won and to have signed a long term deal with the Blues.

Just answering the question in the OP

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yandel/Shattenkirk were good misses

although would they have done better with us?

I remember harry sinden back in the day with a quote that eric Lindros was the type of player he would go after and pay... it was pretty much tampering.

turns out Lindros could have been a real disaster with a huge long term big money contract

too bad we didnt miss out on belesky … and honestly too bad we didnt miss out on karberle, keven stevens, and martin lapointe

This post touches on a couple of things that are so interesting about this discussion.

1. You just truly never know how a player will do in one place vs. another.

And

2. Even if a guy doesn’t have an entirely effective career somewhere, they can still be extremely important.

I’m talking about Kaberle here. Overall, not their best move, but I can recall one or two plays he made during the cup run that, if someone else were there maybe they don’t make and maybe no cup.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I think the most recent one was Jimmy Vesey. He turned out to be a meh player.

Yeah, I'm guilty as well as being on that boat. I wanted him to come here badly, and was a bit upset he didn't. But turns out we didn't really miss much so.

Reactions: BMC

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
I miss Ryan Donato. Charlie Coyle has been meh. Donato is gonna be a star........ Now, on a serious note, I think this has been DS best trade yet. Charlie has really improved this yr as he seems to have more jump in his step. I love this kid. Such a force with the puck too.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yandel/Shattenkirk were good misses

although would they have done better with us?

I remember harry sinden back in the day with a quote that eric Lindros was the type of player he would go after and pay... it was pretty much tampering.

turns out Lindros could have been a real disaster with a huge long term big money contract

too bad we didnt miss out on belesky … and honestly too bad we didnt miss out on karberle, keven stevens, and martin lapointe
Marty Lapointe gets an intangibles waive for me. Horrible signing.... BUT..... he and his wife put up a young Patrice Bergeron as a very young rookie. If I’m not mistaken it was for the full season — if not it was for a good chunk of time. Young French Canadian kid living in a bilingual vets house had to have been a huge benefit to a young kid who was not projected to be a full time pro in year one.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There’s a kid who just doesn’t have the edge, the heart and drive to be a good NHL player. He should take a cue from Eichel. There’s a kid who plays with an edge to his game
I bought into that Vesey sign/not sign SO hard. Was pissed he chose NYR. Thought he was going to be a huge add! Boy was I wrong. He’s milk toast for me — and I agree, not much compete.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I bought into that Vesey sign/not sign SO hard. Was pissed he chose NYR. Thought he was going to be a huge add! Boy was I wrong. He’s milk toast for me — and I agree, not much compete.

Me too. Local guy, 6’3” can skate, had what we all thought was the tools to be a star. The guy just has no heart at all

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Marty Lapointe gets an intangibles waive for me. Horrible signing.... BUT..... he and his wife put up a young Patrice Bergeron as a very young rookie. If I’m not mistaken it was for the full season — if not it was for a good chunk of time. Young French Canadian kid living in a bilingual vets house had to have been a huge benefit to a young kid who was not projected to be a full time pro in year one.
Yup - it was also in the ore cap era so who cares what the guy made..

Reactions: Number8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad