Player Discussion Players you're glad the Bruins missed on - Trade or Free Agent ONLY

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think I get it. Just like he goes to a concert to hear performers sing he doesn’t want to hear a political tirade in the middle of the set. Or go to a movie where there is some stupid token underlying message or scene about where the director stands in a particular subject that has nothing to do with the plot. He comes here to read about hockey and hockey only. Not saying he’s right or wrong but he’s entitled to his opinion without people coming to this broad conclusion on his beliefs on everything in the world.

sports fandom is ridiculous. You blast one athlete for say his views like Kovalchuk but then cheer on a guy like Corey Dillon or Tyreek Hill regardless of his past.
I agree with this. These are athletes, not role models -- except in instances where they behave in a way that justifies them being role models. They are just human beings with all the accompanying warts and beauty marks.

Big Z is a good example. He's a huge contributor to society off the ice. He's a beacon for hard work and commitment on the ice. He's a leader in creating a team environment that treats players based on how they work, not what year or age they are. He's a true leader and people can and should encourage their kids to emulate him. A lot. However even then it doesn't mean you blindly follow or emulate EVERYTHING he does -- including when he cross checks Brandon Gallagher in the face? (BTW, I was more than ok with that, just not sure I'd want to suggest to a 10 year old that that is a good idea on the school playground).

I also think we all should expect to have parts of our lives that are respites from important issues that maybe don't need to be talked about all the time. I don't care about Kovalchuk as a person. Unlike Z, he's never done anything that suggests to me he's worth paying attention to off the ice or considering his views on non hockey issues. I view him as a hockey player -- and one that I don't think fits well on this Boston team. His views on social issues are irrelevant to me, although I wish no one asked him the question. He's a hockey player -- who gives a shit what he thinks? I can think for myself.

In fact that's the lesson we should give our kids..... "No Johnny...... this hockey player is just a hockey player. His thoughts on a given subject are just his thoughts - no different from any other human. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. If you want to find someone to help formulate or refine your views on an issue that's important to you? Find someone who is relevant to the issue you are considering and who's demeanor and intellect you admire. Not some guy who has a wicked pissah slappah.".

It's like Hollywood stars at award shows. Whether I agree with her or not, if I need to get my cues on how to act in life from Meryl Streep then I am well and truly f***ed.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I remember in 96 there were rumors of Joseph to Boston. He was having a contract dispute with the oilers and there was talk of having to move him. They ended up signing him and trading ranford to Boston, but Curtis Joseph on the bruins would have been amazing.

Was there another rumor of Joseph to Boston later in his career?
I remember when he was with Detroit, there was a rumour. Someone on here even photoshopped him in a Bruins Jersey. I remember that specifically. Would have been early 2000s.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I agree with this. These are athletes, not role models -- except in instances where they behave in a way that justifies them being role models. They are just human beings with all the accompanying warts and beauty marks.

Big Z is a good example. He's a huge contributor to society off the ice. He's a beacon for hard work and commitment on the ice. He's a leader in creating a team environment that treats players based on how they work, not what year or age they are. He's a true leader and people can and should encourage their kids to emulate him. A lot. However even then it doesn't mean you blindly follow or emulate EVERYTHING he does -- including when he cross checks Brandon Gallagher in the face? (BTW, I was more than ok with that, just not sure I'd want to suggest to a 10 year old that that is a good idea on the school playground).

I also think we all should expect to have parts of our lives that are respites from important issues that maybe don't need to be talked about all the time. I don't care about Kovalchuk as a person. Unlike Z, he's never done anything that suggests to me he's worth paying attention to off the ice or considering his views on non hockey issues. I view him as a hockey player -- and one that I don't think fits well on this Boston team. His views on social issues are irrelevant to me, although I wish no one asked him the question. He's a hockey player -- who gives a shit what he thinks? I can think for myself.

In fact that's the lesson we should give our kids..... "No Johnny...... this hockey player is just a hockey player. His thoughts on a given subject are just his thoughts - no different from any other human. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. If you want to find someone to help formulate or refine your views on an issue that's important to you? Find someone who is relevant to the issue you are considering and who's demeanor and intellect you admire. Not some guy who has a wicked pissah slappah.".

It's like Hollywood stars at award shows. Whether I agree with her or not, if I need to get my cues on how to act in life from Meryl Streep then I am well and truly f***ed.
Think we can all recognize that there are some "opinions" that shouldn't be ignored or brushed off and I'm sure you have yours. For me this one's a deal breaker when it comes to wanting that guy on this team.

I don't get why one mention triggers the "it doesn't need to be talked about all the time" stuff though.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Evander Kane...every single time. The exact opposite type of person I'd want anywhere near a Bs sweater
It takes all types to win. This said... everyone praises the leadership we have on this team. Sometimes, I'd hope the Bruins could take a chance on someone who isn't exactly a model citizen, and our team of leaders could make it work. Personally, skill-wise and play style, Kane would fit nicely, if his personality was reigned in.

Honestly, I think a guy like Marchand in a different environment could have been bad news. But he's basically had Bergeron and Chara grounding him his whole career. Which was a good thing.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Think we can all recognize that there are some "opinions" that shouldn't be ignored or brushed off and I'm sure you have yours. For me this one's a deal breaker when it comes to wanting that guy on this team.

I don't get why one mention triggers the "it doesn't need to be talked about all the time" stuff though.
Trust me, it’s not that I agree with Kovalchuk. I don’t.

It’s just that I truly don’t give a shit about his opinions on issues, or the vast majority of so called celebrities. Unless they show me a reason to value taking their non celebrity values (outside of an actors ability as an actor, an athlete’s ability as an athlete, etc) into account they are irrelevant.

I don’t pretend to know Kovalchuk true beliefs or motivations (and let’s be real here, a high profile Russian athlete likely has influences that neither you or I are thankfully exposed to), it’s just that I don’t care.

Celebrities have voices, yes. Just as I have the ability to pay attention to or not. In the vast majority of cases I choose not to.

To me he’s just a hockey player. And like any group of people there are some who are good people and some who are not. If someone beats their wife I have an issue. If they are espousing opinions (which they have a right to) I generally don’t care pro or con.

Z says something? I listen because he’s earned my respect and I align with the views I’ve seen him state almost without exception. The man talks about non hockey issues, I listen because he’s intelligent and again he’s earned my admiration,

Kovalchuk, outside of his hockey ability on a Hockey Chat, is truly irrelevant to me. Good or bad.

If he’s running for office or something where he can have real influence. Different story.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Vinny LeCavalier for me. When he was a FA I was all over it. I wanted him so bad. Vinny is from Ile Bizard, Quebec and that's where I was living at time. I had visions of Vinny bringing the Cup to the Vincent LeCavalier Arena. The bruins were in on him right to the end but he ended up going to the Flyers .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad