Players you have watched that get no press historically

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Growing up in the 80's there are tons of guys who i thought were really soldi but history seems to have forgotten them behond the Lemieux, Gretzky's and Stastny's

here are the ones i can think off off the top of my head:

Kevin Dineen -In the mid 80's i was obsessed with the way he played, i always considered him a superstar (maybe i overrated him a bit) but you never hear about how good he was anymore, he is definitely on top of my list of overlooked players

Dave Poulin

Peter Zezel

Brian Sutter

John Tonelli

Gerard Gallant

Jim Peplinski

Bobby Smith (Super Underrated)

Steve Payne

would love to see who you guys have on your lost in history list

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Tomas Sandstrom. He was a superstar to me, courtesy of NHL '94, plus he was also a damn good player in his own right. Too bad his career was marred by a number of injuries. He also wasn't a very well liked player by opponents, for reasons I never understood.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Tomas Sandstrom. He was a superstar to me, courtesy of NHL '94, plus he was also a damn good player in his own right. Too bad his career was marred by a number of injuries. He also wasn't a very well liked player by opponents, for reasons I never understood.

Sandstrom was a favorite of mine when I started watching a lot of the Kings when Kurri started playing there (who is still my favorite to this day)

I'd like to add Dave Babych to the list though. Solid defenseman his entire career.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Growing up in the 80's there are tons of guys who i thought were really soldi but history seems to have forgotten them behond the Lemieux, Gretzky's and Stastny's

here are the ones i can think off off the top of my head:

Kevin Dineen -In the mid 80's i was obsessed with the way he played, i always considered him a superstar (maybe i overrated him a bit) but you never hear about how good he was anymore, he is definitely on top of my list of overlooked players

Dave Poulin

Peter Zezel

Brian Sutter

John Tonelli

Gerard Gallant

Jim Peplinski

Bobby Smith (Super Underrated)

Steve Payne

would love to see who you guys have on your lost in history list

Just on a note of how forgotten and underrated bobby smith is, I'm a habs fan and I live in halifax (he is nova scotian), and I knew of bobby smith, but didn't realize how good he was or know his accomplishments (1st overall, 1000 pts, ohl single season pts record) until he became coach of the mooseheads and I looked into his career. Everyone in ns loves macinnis and praises him like a god, and nobody mentions bobby smith.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll second that with John Tonelli. If there was a 5th Islander who should have gotten into the HHOF from that dynasty it should have been him and not Gillies. I don't think anyone who witnessed that dynasty would ever have pegged Gillies more valuable than Tonelli.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Dave Taylor. Solid, all around, RW who was a great competitor and did it after attending Clarkson University (good hockey program, but still a private school with only 3,000 students.)

With scouting so widespread today, it's easy to forget that the influx of US and Canadian college players existed at a very low rate during the 1970's.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I'll second that with John Tonelli. If there was a 5th Islander who should have gotten into the HHOF from that dynasty it should have been him and not Gillies. I don't think anyone who witnessed that dynasty would ever have pegged Gillies more valuable than Tonelli.

It is really sad that outside of some Islander Die-Hards Tonelli is so over looked, he had some HUGE goals for the Isles and was also a solid performer with the Flames and Kings.

It saddens me that they even gave his nickname to Tavares (JT)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Tonelli might be somewhat under-rated, but I think most casual fans still know who he was and know that he was a good two-way player and grinder.

Bob Bourne and Stefan Persson, on the other hand, were huge contributors on that team who have been almost completely forgotten. Bourne scored 73 points in 73 games in those 4 playoffs, and Persson is incredibly anonymous considering he was the #2 defender on a dynasty.

________

Bobby Smith and Craig Hartsburg were both All-Star players in the '80s whose poor stints as a GM and coach respectively are probably more well-recognized than their exploits as players, which is sad.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Just thought of some other players,

Thomas Steen
B-Ã… Gustafsson
Paul MacLean
Reed Larson

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Gerard Galland
Was he really a 2nd team all-star?

John Ogrodnick
Almost a PPG player with 400+ goals. I never hear anything about him.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I have watched hockey from 1994 and I really love history of this game, but I have noticed Ogrodnick just a few months ago. I dont know how could 400+ goals scorer have missed my attention....

Galant is similar story... He always pops up when you look at All-Star teams, but that's all.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
Stephane Lebeau -awesome on the Habs, was Teemu's "Paul Kariya" before Paul Kariya on the Mighty Ducks

Brian Bellows -Seems like he's now only known for being verbally berated by Kevin Stevens

Todd Harvey -was the heart and soul (and one of the only bright spots) of some horrible Rangers squads

The "Czech-Mates" -Petr Nedved, Radek Dvorak, and Jan Hlavac. Line was unstoppable for a few months

Sergei Zholtok -Was an assists-machine before his untimely death in Latvia. Solid two way player who could step it up offensively. Could play with top line talent or 4th line pluggers.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Ogrodnick won several times Wings points race and was few times 2nd. He had 50+ goals and 100+ points seasons and he was good not only in Detroit. He had great season in Rangers too.

I cant imagine how could I miss him! Ron Duguay has many times more press coverage than him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There is a HfBoards All-Time Draft every year comparing all players from all eras of hockey history going back to the 1890s and the players you mentioned were all drafted in the Top-1000 this year except for Steve Payne, who will certainly go in the Minor League Draft when it's done in the summer:

Kevin Dineen 584th

Dave Poulin 386th

Peter Zezel 826th

Brian Sutter 409th

John Tonelli 279th

Gerard Gallant 759th

Jim Peplinski 910th

Bobby Smith 450th

Steve Payne
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=897805

Ad

Upcoming events