Players you have watched that get no press historically

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
When was the last time Al Iafrate got mentioned?

Unfortunately, Bernie Nicholls will forever be known as the guy who got traded to the Rangers in order to give Gretzky some wingers and then got traded for Mark Messier. Never mind that he scored 1209 points in his NHL career and posted over a PPG in 13 seasons.

I was thinking about this thread as lesser names. Iafrate was a superstar, to me anyway. He showed up for games and the playoffs, even though his teams didn't. In the 93 playoffs, he was great, too bad we lost in the first round though. He would have been on pace for scoring leader had we gone deeper. Nicholls is on the all time scoring list, so I didn't add him on it for me. As for the Devil poster, Chambers was good and he recovered well from the knee injury. As for lesser names, there are a lot of candidates for this thread. I was thinking of the ones off the top of my head. So many good players to mention.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
No and no. Palffy was much better playmaker and much more well-rounded offensive threat. That's it. Bondra has the edge in everything else.

And only thing Bondra was awful at was playmaking.

Bondra had some playoff choke moments, but still a great player. His 1998 playoff run erased all those past moments.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Frederik Olausson and Zarley Zalapski (if he gets any mention it's usually for the name) tend to get the short end of the stick for late 80s/90s offensively minded D-men.

freddie olausson was like the "guy lapointe" of winnipeg's big three in the early to mid 90s. not to say that housley or numminen match up in any way to savard and robinson, but olausson seemed to be the overlooked one like lapointe was. second best offensively, second best defensively (olausson was, not lapointe).

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
How about Oleg Tverdovsky? 3 50 point seasons by the age of 25 and his career slides into obscurity.
A guy who had a career like that for a big market or Canadian team would be notorious for dropping off the map. Wade Redden comes to mind, even though Tverdovsky was never that good.
Shawn Chambers was a top pairing defenseman for most of the 1995 playoffs for the Cup winning Devils and was a depth guy for the 99 Stars. But nobody ever thinks of him when they talk about role players who contributed heavily to championships.
They think about his rating of zero in that EA NHL game.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
For a guy that was a Second Team All Star twice, Eric Desjardins gets surprisingly little press. There is no doubt in my mind that he was a better all-round player than guys who get talked about far more often, like Sergei Zubov,Sergei Gonchar, or Adam Foote.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
For a guy that was a Second Team All Star twice, Eric Desjardins gets surprisingly little press. There is no doubt in my mind that he was a better all-round player than guys who get talked about far more often, like Sergei Zubov,Sergei Gonchar, or Adam Foote.

How come so many of my ATD players are the underappreciated ones!?

You're right though, I'd take Desjardins' all-around game over the span of his career over all of those guys - easily.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some others who seem to be forgotten about who had multiple productive seasons...

Glenn Anderson (probably the best player in front of a net)
Mike Ridley (only played 12 seasons, scored 60+ points in 8 of them)
Michal Pivonka (surpassed 50+ points six times)
Tony Granato (one of the grittiest and feistiest competitors)
Charlie Simmer (played LW on the triple crown line and had two 50+ goal seasons, broke his leg and retired prematurely)

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
It saddens me to hear about Stefan Persson in this thread. What saddens me is that he should not be, but still, he rightfully is. Such an instrumental piece of the dynasty Islanders and he is nearly forgotten. And I tell you that it's hardly any better over here in his native Sweden. One of our best defensemen ever, he deserves way more credit.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
1,245 GP - 517 G - 806 A - 1,323 PTS

Holds the Los Angeles Kings' single-season goal-scoring record ('88-'89: 70)

nichols_89.jpg

I like that you can see the Gretzky model Easton Aluminum stick in the background. It is very appropriate, lol.

toob

Dec 31, 2010
Larry Murphy for sure
one of the most underrated and understated players i have ever watched

everyone talks about Lids and Vladdy in the 97 cup run
but Murphy was at least as good as those two
i remember there was a nice article that playoff year about him
but aside from that he never got the attention and praise he deserved

even when he got inducted into the Hall of Fame
everyone just talked about Coffey and Bourque
granted Coffey and Bourque are prolly the top 2 defensemen since Orr
but still man Larry Murphy was one of the best of his time as well

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
I think a lot of younger people don't get how good and how important a player Bob Gainey was.

I know he's in the Hall,but there's been so much focus on his managerial career that his play gets lost in that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I was thinking about this thread as lesser names. Iafrate was a superstar, to me anyway. He showed up for games and the playoffs, even though his teams didn't. In the 93 playoffs, he was great, too bad we lost in the first round though. He would have been on pace for scoring leader had we gone deeper. Nicholls is on the all time scoring list, so I didn't add him on it for me. As for the Devil poster, Chambers was good and he recovered well from the knee injury. As for lesser names, there are a lot of candidates for this thread. I was thinking of the ones off the top of my head. So many good players to mention.

Yah, I was thinking of it more in terms of "good or great player that got overshadowed by the elite players of their day"

For example, Nicholls is on the all-time scoring list, but no one ever really thinks about him when thinking about the best players of his day. He's relatively overlooked.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Some others who seem to be forgotten about who had multiple productive seasons...

Glenn Anderson (probably the best player in front of a net)
Mike Ridley (only played 12 seasons, scored 60+ points in 8 of them)
Michal Pivonka (surpassed 50+ points six times)
Tony Granato (one of the grittiest and feistiest competitors)
Charlie Simmer (played LW on the triple crown line and had two 50+ goal seasons, broke his leg and retired prematurely)

Superstar in my book. Anderson was clutch and contributed to every team he played for. One of my heroes growing up watching hockey too.

Wet Sprocket

Apr 10, 2007
Sacramento
Mike Krushelnyski is a name that comes to mind for me.

Craig Simpson had some really strong seasons early in his career until his back gave out.

Others that pop into mind are:
Kelly Kisio
Darryl Sydor is starting to feel like he's somewhat forgotten.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Mark Napier:

..Ditto, Mark Napier...Lauded as a teenage prodigy...Got caught up in the WHA Episode, quietly participated in 2 NHL Dynasties... A dangerous sniper...valuable and underrated...

12Kerr

Let's go Flyers
Apr 17, 2007
In the Crease
wow Peter Zezel.....what a gritty player he was..loved him here in Philly..

for me the 80's were a highlight film for me:

Wendel Clark (never has gotten the credit he was due imho)

Dave Manson (a very under-rated Defenseman for the Hawks)

Tim Kerr (favorite player of all-time) had some huge season with the Flyers, was basically the 1st true power forward

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I think Guy Lapointe and JC Tremblay get incredibly little press in comparison to their more celebrated teammates, Larry Robinson and Serge Savard, especially in Montreal. While I think Robinson and Savard were better, when they played together, the difference wasn't that big. That Savard had his number retired, and Lapointe was never honoured as such, is a crime IMO. It's also a crime that Tremblay never got into the HOF. Probably the 2nd best d-man not in.

Another player from that era that gets little praise is Doug Jarvis. Without his defensive prowess and faceoff winning skills, Bob Gainey just doesn't look quite as good historically. IMO Jarvis was almost as important as Gainey in the Habs dynasty years.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
wow Peter Zezel.....what a gritty player he was..loved him here in Philly..

for me the 80's were a highlight film for me:

Wendel Clark (never has gotten the credit he was due imho)

Dave Manson (a very under-rated Defenseman for the Hawks)

Tim Kerr (favorite player of all-time) had some huge season with the Flyers, was basically the 1st true power forward

Always scared me when he was on the ice. Everyone knew it was a matter of when not if he would score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad