Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Douglas Murray from Sweden.

Guy Hebert (USA). I understand that NA is a melting pot...but it was the pronunciation of the name that threw me off.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Canada is still a new country so I expect to see a bunch of new names coming from hockey players as people continue to move here. Same with hockey players who move from North America like Paul Stastny holding three passports as he comes from a Slovakian background, born in Canada and plays for Team USA.

Sasha Barkov comes off as Russian but is Finnish.

Another is Brandon Saad sounding Syrian.
So is Leo Komarov

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Owen Nolan was born in Ireland I think...

Dimitr Jaskin is Czech...

Jan Rutta is Czech but there are several Rutta's who are Finish...

Jake Pivonka and the Hejduk twins are US...

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah true, I guess I was more surprised to find out he's white
Shouldn't be a surprise since Zion is a Jewish name and most modern day Jewish people are white/of European descent, rather than Semitic. It would be a surprise if someone who was not Jewish had that name since it wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited:

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Many years ago, in the before time, he was known as Mats Zuccarello Aasen. That's when I first heard of him; I think it was on the prospects board. He became Zuccarello a bit before he was drafted.
I seem to remember first seeing him in international play and thinking "Oh, that one little guy with the gigantic stick's actually pretty good. I wonder how he'd do in the NHL".
Jordin Tootoo is Canadian. Everyone else is an immigrant.
Poor Ethan Bear :(

Reactions: Bubbles

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Douglas Murray from Sweden.

Guy Hebert (USA). I understand that NA is a melting pot...but it was the pronunciation of the name that threw me off.
IIRC Hebert is from a town where NY/VT/Quebec all meet. Town is technically in NY State.
He might be of French Canadian ancestry but his family became Americans when they drew the borders after the War of 1812.

There are literal towns that are half in Canada and half in the US in that area.

Like the NW angle in MN can only be reached by land through Canada because they didn't know what Lake of the Woods actually looked like in the 1780s.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
IIRC Hebert is from a town where NY/VT/Quebec all meet. Town is technically in NY State.
He might be of French Canadian ancestry but his family became Americans when they drew the borders after the War of 1812.

There are literal towns that are half in Canada and half in the US in that area.

Like the NW angle in MN can only be reached by land through Canada because they didn't know what Lake of the Woods actually looked like in the 1780s.

Thank you...gives me some context. And here I am a History major!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad