Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I knew plenty of Kevin's growing up, all born in the 80s - before Home Alone

In Sweden?

Leo Komarov, although he has both Russian and Finnish citizenship, is actually from Estonia.

How many people could find Estonia on a map?

The city in Estonia where Komarov is from though is like 94% Russian or something. It's right on the border.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Merzlinkins - I thought CBJ only had finnish goalies like villian, kirv, korp
Tavares- thought he was portuguese
Kadri- is lebanese

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I never understood how is Niskanen not a Finn.

Ekblad I routinely think of as a Swede.
Lot of Swedes and Finns settled in Minnesota, for some reason, so there are a lot of names like that in the state, along with Polish, Irish and German names. Got a large Hmong and Somali population, too, but that's relatively newer. Anyway, I worked with someone whose name was Juntunen. She was very American, but was aware of her Finnish roots. I'm guessing Niskanen's family has a similar story.

Now then, am I too late for Doug Murray? Someone already get him?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Robert Lang, sounds so American
There are probably more people of German heritage in America than there are in Germany.

My real name plays better in Germany than it does here...at least over there they'd pronounce it correctly more than 10% of the time. Spell it properly too, thank you Baltimore. There's something like 44 million of German descent in the US, so about half as many as there are in Germany.

Robert is Germanic in origin, but is one of those historically common names through much of Europe. Lang means long, so do what you will with that information.

edit: Some other Robert Langs with Wikipedia pages...a Swiss cyclist, Australian rower, English actor, American physicist, Canadian producer, Austrian football manager, and some Scottish dude. That is one common-ass name.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Lucic.jpg

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Merzlinkins - I thought CBJ only had finnish goalies like villian, kirv, korp
Tavares- thought he was portuguese
Kadri- is lebanese

I mean, depending on how you personally view these things, Tavares is of Portuguese descent. And I can tell you that we don't come close to pronouncing his name the way it would be pronounced in Portuguese, either.

Reactions: Jauffre

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
When I was a kid, I always thought that Mike Bossy was French-Canadian because of the way his last name was written and pronounced in the Soviet Union ( with the stress on the last syllable) but he is in fact of Ukrainian origin.

Colaiacovo sounded Finnish to me when I heard it, maybe because it has so many vowels.

With all the history of immigration, you can hardly be surprised by so many non-anglo last names in North America but when Bjork's parents decided to call him Anders and not Andrew, that can throw you off.

Henrik Borgstrom most probably comes from the Aalands finns and there are plenty of Finnish players like that but I still thought of him as Swedish for a while.

My all time favourite name is Hnat Domenicheli. His last name can't be more Italian while his first name is a really old-time classic Ukrainian name and these names appear to have nothing in common when put together. It's like having someone named Hans de la Pena, or like Zbigniew Dubois. Or, Vladimir Guerrero :DD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad