Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Gudbranson has Norwegian roots, same with Byfuglien (mom), Bjugstad, Skjei.

Zuccarello is Norwegian, but has name from mom's dad who's Italian.

Zibanejad is Swedish, but dad from Iran.

Islanders10

Oct 25, 2018
Sweden
The first time I heard these names I would not locate them in Canada based on their names:

Nazem Kadri - Sounds Arabic to me
Milan Lucic - Czech would be my first guess
P.K. Subban - Intuitively I would locate this person to Sweden, for some reason.

Haha lucky for P.K. that he isn’t swedish - ”subba” means ”bitch” in swedish...

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
There's also the much rarer inverse where the player has a more typically European first name and an Anglo surname, like Anders Lee, Joakim Ryan (whose mom is Swedish), etc.

Hahaha, those are some good examples!

I'll also add Kevin Fiala to the list of names which stumped me. Last name could be from many countries (many Austrians, Slovaks, Czechs have that name) but in combination with "Kevin", I just assumed he was from Red Deer or Thunder Bay or something. Nope, Switzerland. :laugh:

And on a slightly different note - I'll nominate Laurent Broissoit as a player who I definitely assumed was from Quebec - or at least a French-speaking community in Canada (lots of French towns in Ontario and dotted across the prairies). Not the case. Born on Vancouver Island, to non-French speaking parents.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Hahaha, those are some good examples!

I'll also add Kevin Fiala to the list of names which stumped me. Last name could be from many countries (many Austrians, Slovaks, Czechs have that name) but in combination with "Kevin", I just assumed he was from Red Deer or Thunder Bay or something. Nope, Switzerland. :laugh:

And on a slightly different note - I'll nominate Laurent Broissoit as a player who I definitely assumed was from Quebec - or at least a French-speaking community in Canada (lots of French towns in Ontario and dotted across the prairies). Not the case. Born on Vancouver Island, to non-French speaking parents.
Lol I was just gonna post this. If the first time I heard of Fiala hadn't been in a draft profile with a Swiss flag attached I would've assumed he was North American.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
The first time I heard of Harry Zolnierczyk was when he scored in a preseason game his rookie year, I assumed he was a European free agent the Flyers signed. Guess "Harry" should have given it away.

In the late 00s the Hershey Bears sometimes had an AHL-ECHL tweener named Johann Kroll who I assumed was Swedish but was actually from Minnesota. If his name was John or Joseph or something like that I wouldn't have assumed a thing.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Gudbranson has Norwegian roots, same with Byfuglien (mom), Bjugstad, Skjei.

Zuccarello is Norwegian, but has name from mom's dad who's Italian.

Zibanejad is Swedish, but dad from Iran.

And Mika is a common Finnish name which is to be expected since his mom is Finnish.

Btw. Mika speaks Swedish, Farsi, Finnish and English.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Uncle Leo was born in Estonia. I guess that counts eventhough he played internationally for Finland.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Canada is still a new country so I expect to see a bunch of new names coming from hockey players as people continue to move here. Same with hockey players who move from North America like Paul Stastny holding three passports as he comes from a Slovakian background, born in Canada and plays for Team USA.

Sasha Barkov comes off as Russian but is Finnish.

Another is Brandon Saad sounding Syrian.
I believe his family is Syrian. There were articles written about his family from there coming over in the Syrian civil war.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It's probably been said at this point, but it took me a while to realize Mark Streit is Swiss.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Seems to be a lot of Hockey players with Swedish names that are Americans, usually from Minnesota.
Or Wisconsin, in the case of Bjork. Minnesota and Wisconsin have a huge Scandinavian influence. I spent some time in Minnesota, and there are lots of people of Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish decent there.
Like I thought Kevin Lankinen was from Minnesota, not Finland for that reason.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
When John Carlson entered the league I assumed he was Swedish for a couple of years.

Makes sense since the name originally is Swedish but many Swedes who moved to America Americanized their spelling. It's not reasonable to know as a non swede but those small changes in spelling make them very rare in Sweden.

Looked it up to give a few examples:

Number of people in Sweden with last name Andersson, Karlsson and Björk is 223 000, 166 000, and 13 000, respectively.
Number with last name Anderson, Carlson and Bjork is 1000, 2400 and zero, respectively.

Reactions: Leksand

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Lawrence Pilut threw me off for sure. Wouldn't have guessed he was Swedish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad