Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Kevin Stenlund then, Columbus. My point stands. I'm not making things up. Name became almost a phenomenon after Home Alone in the early 90s. Was more or less non-existent prior to that in the Nordic countries.

I knew plenty of Kevin's growing up, all born in the 80s - before Home Alone

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This comment is more applicable 10 years ago but Nicklas Backstrom (Center) is Swedish, but Niklas Backstrom (goalie) is Finnish.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I just assumed Jujhar Khaira was some Finnish name until I looked up what he looks like and made the effort to fully enunciate his name and now it makes sense. I think it was because there’s lots of Finnish names that start with J.

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Burakovsky, Barkov, Kaliyev, Galchenyuk. Figured all four were Russian.

Figured Virtanen was swedish or finnish, same with Heinen. Same for Niskanen when he first entered the league.

On a separate note, when Brodin was drafted in 2011, I remember thinking ‘Okay now they’re just making these names up.’ Seemed like made-up combination of Brodeur and Sedin.

Also, the last couple years it seems like there has been big jump in # of Finnish players. Getting hard for me to remember which one’s which. Kotkaniemi, Kuokkanen, Koskinen, Kaapo Kakko, Kasperi Kapanen, Rantanen, Ristolainen, Tolvanen, Teravainen,, Nutivaara, Jokiharju, Lehkonen, Lehtonen, Lankinen. Can be confusing as hell (and a mouthful for play-by-play guys).

Sabres having three Rasmuses on the roster strikes me as hilarious, as does the fact that there are two Sebastian Ahos. Would be a bummer to be the second one, the one who isn’t a star. Any other name and he’d feel like an absolute stud, just having made the NHL. Instead he’s forever “the other one,” the one who “sucks.”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad