Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
As others have written, there's obviously tons of American and Canadian players with non-anglo (or French) surnames. The thing is, they usually have more typically English first names like Joe Sakic, Steve Staios, Scott Niedermeyer, Tie Domi, Keith Tkachuck, Devan Dubnyk, Kyle Palmieri, Joe Pavelski, Zach Warenski etc. Growing up in western Canada, those kinds of names (my own included!) were incredibly common. I'd never assume those players were actually Poles, Croats, Ukrainians, Germans, Italians, etc.

It's when both names sound European that I'm sometimes thrown off. Milan Lucic for instance was one. Or Wojtek Wolski. One which surprised me more recently was Marco Rossi (Ottawa 67s / Minnesota Wild pick). The name is obviously super Italian - but I actually just assumed he was either North American (think Fernando Pisani) or maybe Swiss. I definitely wasn't expecting Austrian.
There's also the much rarer inverse where the player has a more typically European first name and an Anglo surname, like Anders Lee, Joakim Ryan (whose mom is Swedish), etc.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
But Kevin Lankinen is from Finland

Kevin Stenlund then, Columbus. My point stands. I'm not making things up. Name became almost a phenomenon after Home Alone in the early 90s. Was more or less non-existent prior to that in the Nordic countries.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Did something i say offend you?

Of course Canada has a heritage. Does that mean you can't acknowledge the backgrounds of the immigrants that helped to forge the country?

No not at all. My Canada heritage question was by no means meant in that way. Seriously it was just a question that I ask people quite regularly in a way to get others to think about it. Sorry if it came across in an offensive manner one way or the other.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The one that always gets me for some reason is Guentzel, who's from ...Nebraska, USA.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad