Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Lang was my big one. 8/9 year old me was mindblown when I learned he was European.

For all the jokes about players like Regehr I'm surprised no one's mentioned Brunei legend Craig Adams (unless I totally missed it).

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
I'm often not surprised when a player happens to be American of Canadian. Especially not American, because they are made up from immigrants, all types of names are pretty well represented there. Sure Saad sounds Syrian but I would be more surprised if an NHL player was actually from Syria and not from the US. There's basically only 10+ countries or so that produces NHL players.

Any time I stumble across NHL player with a Swedish sounding name like Lindros or Ekblad that I have never heard of, I suspect that's because he's from North America or Finland.

Non traditional hockey names like Yamamoto, Zibanejad and Ho-Sang I'd assume are from places with a lot of immigrants from places where those names are common. Sweden's a good guess for Zibanejad (Is it Persian or Kurdish?) and for Yamamoto and Ho-sang I'd just guess either Candada or the US.
Well the names Lindros and Ekblad do come from Sweden(most likely). Ekblad means Oak leaf in Swedish

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sebastian Aho being Swedish not Finnish, same with Tommy Salo back in the day (particular as Finnish Sami Salo was active at the same time). In the reverse the goalie Niklas Backstrom being Finnish while the center Nicklas Backstrom is Swedish. I only learned about the Swedish Finns and Finland Swedes primarily as a result of looking that stuff up due to that confusion (well, it was actually Charlton and Finland football player Jonatan Johansson who really got me looking into it further).

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
Well there seem to be a lot of Swedes with German names (and a Dane - Ehlers) but I always knew they weren't German since we have so few NHL-caliber players that it's easy to know them all by name. Thought Niskanen was Finish for a long time.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
P.K. Subban - Intuitively I would locate this person to Sweden, for some reason.
Subban literally translates to ''the bitch'' in Swedish, so it would be very weird if he was Swedish.
Barkov fools many people thinking he is Russian
Sasha Barkov comes off as Russian but is Finnish.
He is ethnically Russian. Both his parents are from Russia and he speaks Russian as well as Finnish.
Didn't expect Wahlstrom to be from Bahhston
His dad obviously anglified their surname when he moved to the US as an adult.
Seems to be a lot of Hockey players with Swedish names that are Americans, usually from Minnesota.
Because for some reason, Swedes that immigrated in the 1800s wanted to emigrate from one cold place to another cold place.

Reactions: Oneiro

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Subban literally translates to ''the bitch'' in Swedish, so it would be very weird if he was Swedish.

He is ethnically Russian. Both his parents are from Russia and he speaks Russian as well as Finnish.

His dad obviously anglified their surname when he moved to the US as an adult.

Because for some reason, Swedes that immigrated in the 1800s wanted to emigrate from one cold place to another cold place.

I guess, intuitively, that was my point... :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Voight

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I remember being very surprised when I first heard Adrien Plavsic was Canadian. He came into the NHL in 1990 when Europeans were not as numerous and it threw a few for a loop.

Kadri is Lebanese, a very common descent in canada these days and so I'm sure we will see many in the nhl some day, though I do believe he is the only one of that descent right at the moment.

Max Domi is Albanian.

Actually he's Canadian. Born in Winnipeg. btw - his dad Tie, who is also Canadian, also played in the NHL.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Canada and Minnesota are full of Finnish-origin people who often kept their Finnish last names. I'm actually more surprised there aren't more players like Virtanen.

Reactions: DaveG

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Definitely biased a bit, but Regehr from Brazil definitely is a top 3 pick in this exercise

Filunki

Jul 22, 2018
The y-names went out of fashion in the 90s and names like say William or Kevin became more common, as you can see in players like William Karlsson and Kevin Lankinen.

But Kevin Lankinen is from Finland

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Canada and Minnesota are full of Finnish-origin people who often kept their Finnish last names. I'm actually more surprised there aren't more players like Virtanen.
Apparently there were lot of young girls included in the group who first moved to Minnesota, so i’d assume most eventually took their husbands last name so thats partly why Finnish surnames aren’t more common.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Most of the names dropped in the threads and not surprising. In my opinion, the most surprising part is that you guys follow the NHL daily but you don’t bother to do any research at all :D

Or maybe we did do our research and are just answering the OP's question about how we were surprised when we found out the nationality of certain players?

Reactions: mcnucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad