Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
So there's a lot to dissect here:
- nationalities is not racism
- nobody is making racist/ethnic/nationalistic remarks disparaging a group of people (i.e. "no wonder that player sucks. He's [insert nationality]")
- it's a discussion of dialect and language, based on names. Again, not a discussion of race (i.e. "Wow, he doesn't LOOK [insert race]")

That being said, I was beaten to the punch on my nomination. I was going to say Robyn Regehr.

Maybe learning new things about other nationalities or races or family histories is actually a bad thing? I mean, I frown on every opportunity to learn something new about someone's background.

Further to what you said, a bunch of these have to do with their parents, most of which were overseas because of their hockey careers.
Some, like the Regehrs, were born in obscure hockey countries (Robyn also lived in Indonesia where Richie was born) because their parents were Christian missionaries or because their parents were in the armed forces, like Rod Langway who is from Taiwan

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
relatable-sotrue.gif

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Canada is still a new country so I expect to see a bunch of new names coming from hockey players as people continue to move here. Same with hockey players who move from North America like Paul Stastny holding three passports as he comes from a Slovakian background, born in Canada and plays for Team USA.

Sasha Barkov comes off as Russian but is Finnish.

Another is Brandon Saad sounding Syrian.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm often not surprised when a player happens to be American of Canadian. Especially not American, because they are made up from immigrants, all types of names are pretty well represented there. Sure Saad sounds Syrian but I would be more surprised if an NHL player was actually from Syria and not from the US. There's basically only 10+ countries or so that produces NHL players.

Any time I stumble across NHL player with a Swedish sounding name like Lindros or Ekblad that I have never heard of, I suspect that's because he's from North America or Finland.

Non traditional hockey names like Yamamoto, Zibanejad and Ho-Sang I'd assume are from places with a lot of immigrants from places where those names are common. Sweden's a good guess for Zibanejad (Is it Persian or Kurdish?) and for Yamamoto and Ho-sang I'd just guess either Candada or the US.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Most of the names dropped in the threads and not surprising. In my opinion, the most surprising part is that you guys follow the NHL daily but you don’t bother to do any research at all :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad