Players Whose Offensive Statistics are Misleading

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
This thread screams Tyler Johnson...he's 8th in the league in scoring lirl

What's misleading about that? Tampas' whole 2nd line has been their best line most of the season. Johnson is a big part of that.

You want misleading? Stamkos at #4 is misleading. He has not been playing very well all season in comparison to past seasons and in general, yet he still is putting up points. He is like the kid who never studies but still gets an A.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What's misleading about that? Tampas' whole 2nd line has been their best line most of the season. Johnson is a big part of that.

You want misleading? Stamkos at #4 is misleading. He has not been playing very well all season in comparison to past seasons and in general, yet he still is putting up points. He is like the kid who never studies but still gets an A.

Stamkos is the elite kid who's destined for greatness regardless of whether he studies or not. Tyler Johnson is not a ppg player and never will be regardless of how successful that 2nd line is. How many players manage to be ppg? I'm going to guess 10 max...That's why his stats are misleading, he's overachieving a lot right now.

member 147413

JVR, Bozak and Kessel are all terrible. They're soft on the puck and the man. Have no awareness in regards to their defensive positioning and turn the puck over frequently.

On the other hand, Kadri has been phenomenal, he's recently been paired against teams top scoring lines and has still been controlling the puck. He's been great defensively, improved significantly on the draw, but he's at a 50 point pace. The points have started coming though.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The only team I follow this year is the Blues. And their stats exactly reflect what's going on with the team. Guys with bad stats play bad, and guys with good stats play good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He's been that good.

Stamkos, on the other hand, has been sub-par this year, despite putting up points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos is the elite kid who's destined for greatness regardless of whether he studies or not. Tyler Johnson is not a ppg player and never will be regardless of how successful that 2nd line is. How many players manage to be ppg? I'm going to guess 10 max...That's why his stats are misleading, he's overachieving a lot right now.

Are you watching Johnson this year? Because he's outplaying Stamkos by good measure. Johnson's been our MVP. Stamkos needs to find consistency. He's been disappearing for days on end. He scored a goal last night and yet had a pretty bad game over all.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Are you watching Johnson this year? Because he's outplaying Stamkos by good measure. Johnson's been our MVP. Stamkos needs to find consistency. He's been disappearing for days on end. He scored a goal last night and had a pretty bad game over all.

Maybe I misunderstood the point of this thread or perhaps you did. I'm not denying Johnson had been good this season, I'll take your word for it and believe you when you say he's been great.

What I'm saying is his stats are misleading because he may be good this season so far but he's not a ppg player, look at the short list of elite players who crack that list. His stats will fall is what I was explaining

Dallas Eakins*

A lot of posters on HFBoards don't have the opportunity to watch players from every team play on a regular basis (myself included) so we tend to judge players, particularly forwards, from other teams by their offensive statistics and "reputation". What are some examples of players who have misleading offensive statistics for your team this year?

For the Leafs:

JVR has 11 goals and 12 assists in 27 games and is on pace for a career high in both goals and points. Yet he has been invisible in many games this year and has been a passenger on the first line, getting outplayed by Kessel and even Bozak for the most part. His 5 on 5 defensive game has also been lackluster. He played much better last year even though his PPG was lower.

On the flip slide, Kadri is scoring around the same pace as last year (~50 points) but has been absolutely tremendous this year. He has improved his defensive game by leaps and bounds, is getting better on faceoffs daily and is a possession monster. He's been good offensively too, it's just that he's gotten no PP time until recently and he's also been snakebitten. I would take this version of Kadri over the 44 points in 48 games Kadri of 2013 easily.

Came here to say this, tho Bozak belongs in the discussion as well.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe I misunderstood the point of this thread or perhaps you did. I'm not denying Johnson had been good this season, I'll take your word for it and believe you when you say he's been great.

What I'm saying is his stats are misleading because he may be good this season so far but he's not a ppg player, look at the short list of elite players who crack that list. His stats will fall is what I was explaining

As far as I remember he looked very good last year too. People supposed he would come back down to earth this season, but Johnson instead plays even better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Well, I watch one of those elite players on a nightly basis -- Stamkos. I watched MSL on a nightly basis. And yes, right now Tyler Johnson is playing at somewhere around that same level. He wasn't anywhere near this level last year.

Will his stats fall? Maybe, if his play tails off. But at the moment, his point total actually does reflect the way he's been playing. He's been this good.

nwaZ*

Jake Voracek: his soaring point totals aren't a fluke. He looks dominant out there.

Wayne Simmonds: great PP numbers early in the year have padded his stats. Has been average at ES.

Steve Mason: he only has 5 wins, but he is the least of the Flyers' problems. Stole a win against LA when we were outshot almost 2-1.

RJ Umberger: numbers suck and so does he.

Yeah, the stats are sooo misleading here.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Crosby, I guess. His recent points slump is partially on him but some of it is teammates not burying the chances he sets up for him and a bit of bad luck (hitting the post on a wide open net, for example).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One more note on Johnson: He's tied with Tyler Seguin for the most even strength points in the league (25).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Came here to say this, tho Bozak belongs in the discussion as well.

The Leafs entire top line does. They've been consistently among the worst lines in the league defensively for years.

Ultimately they're very ineffective (at OUTSCORING the opposition) relative to what their scoring would suggest and relative to their teammates who score less.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Tyler Johnson has earned every one of those points. He's been the Lightning's best player by a ****ing mile.

The answer to this thread is Stamkos - he's top five in goals and points, but has blown dog most of the season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Oh, so your opinion isn't based on any viewings, but just a name you barely recognize high on the points ladder. Makes sense - very worthwhile stat watching there.

For the record, Tyler Johnson is sporting the highest Corsi and Fenwick on the team (Check that - Kucherov is highest among forwards, but they're linemates so close enough), and while his PDO is a bit high at 1017, it's not nosebleed high, and comes a lot from the fact he's on a line where all three player can put it in the net.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

Yes, you misunderstood the point of this thread. What everyone seems to be indicating is that Tyler Johnson is actually playing as well as his stats indicate. Then you come along derailing things, saying that he's overachieving, missing the point of this thread completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad