Players Whose Offensive Statistics are Misleading

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Kevin Shattenkirk has not only been putting up big numbers, but his defensive game is on a whole other level this year as well.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Sedins. They rack up points against weak teams and in low intensity games, but when the games get harder they disappear or get dominated. They also don't do a whole lot other than score. Plus they almost always play together so it makes it hard to have a balanced line. Having one low intensity guy on a line is one thing, but having two makes them too easy to play against.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Taylor Hall's 8g 9a in 22 games is very dissapointing so far. What's worse is some games you don't notice him. That didnt happen a lot prior to this season. I really hope those numbers are misleading and he breaks out with a big month soon.

Everyone on the Oilers suffers the Dallas Eakins penalty in their point totals. Seems it's finally caught up to Hall too. The longer players spend with Eakins the worse they get offensively.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Marian Hossa. I'm sure people who don't watch the Hawks very much see only 5 goals and think something must be wrong, but he's fine. Just snake-bit.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Mike Richards has done just about everything but score. He has had a few defensive miscues, but so have many others.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
For MN I'll say Vanek. He's been on half the teams in the league the last 18 months and he is an easy target for haters but he has been pretty good I think. Gets a couple good looks every night and his motor has gotten better last week or so.

Koivu is HM. He was terrible first week or two but right now is playing tremendous. He is carrying our second line with two young guys in Zucker and Coyle. Granlund also showing signs of life

NHLPaul

Jun 4, 2014
You know... Around
This thread basically just screams bozak and Kadri. One sucks. One is very good. The one who sucks gets the points. 5v5 he is garbage. Zone entries garbage. Glorified 3rd line center playing with kessel. Feel bad for Kadri

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
For MN I'll say Vanek. He's been on half the teams in the league the last 18 months and he is an easy target for haters but he has been pretty good I think. Gets a couple good looks every night and his motor has gotten better last week or so.

Koivu is HM. He was terrible first week or two but right now is playing tremendous. He is carrying our second line with two young guys in Zucker and Coyle. Granlund also showing signs of life

Yeah, Vanek has taken alot of heat for his lack of goals this year. I'll take him over Moulson any day of the week though. Moulson was entirely invisible when not scoring goals. At least Vanek can make plays for his teammates.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Tarasenko could probably have double the number of goals he's got right now if he was putting away every single grade A scoring chance he gets. He's gettin opportunities night in and night out that most players would dream of.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, Vanek has taken alot of heat for his lack of goals this year. I'll take him over Moulson any day of the week though. Moulson was entirely invisible when not scoring goals. At least Vanek can make plays for his teammates.

Agreed. Moulson was worse than Heatley for stretches last year. Vanek is infinitely better.

SuddenDeathOvertime

#FreeJohnScott
Sep 30, 2014
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that guy. He hates his own team.

I've admired the play of the Sedins and Vrbata. Great line. Sedins weren't playing this well at any point last year. If they're soft now, then they've been soft their whole careers (which is obviously not true).

marchand-punching-sedin-gif-o.gif

:laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Why do I even waste my time on the forum? Garbage post after garbage post. The Sedins get abused more than any player down low, and constantly battle through it. People that use gifs as a premise in an argument are laughable construct a real argument, I've watched these guys play for their entire career are their far from soft.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Marian Hossa. I'm sure people who don't watch the Hawks very much see only 5 goals and think something must be wrong, but he's fine. Just snake-bit.

Hossa was the guy I was going to say as well. He's playing the same great two-way game he always has, but the goals and points just haven't been there (though that's starting to change).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
From the Oilers, Nail Yakupov and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Nuge is putting up okay numbers, but there have been a number of games where I looked at the stat sheet and was shocked that he had no points.

Yak needs to shoot more, but his lowly 8 points is shocking, it feels like he should have around 15 with how often he has had good games.

Honestly, it just feels like half of our roster is snake-bitten offensively.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Vinny Lecavalier has 6 pts and is only a -4

given the way he's played, he should have 0 points and be a -30.

Imagine if he wasn't a healthy scratch the last 4 games?! He may have 7 points at this point...

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The Sedins and Vrbata are all soft, slow and a complete liability on the ice at even strength. The only situation in which their skills are useful is on the PP, because the extra space allows them to use their cute little passes at the opponents blueline. They're in their mid 30's and it shows, big time.

I have only watched Vancouver/Edmonton games - and the Oilers are trash but I thought that line has looked dominant in every game I have seen so far.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
One of the most uneducated and laughable posts I've seen in a while. The Sedins are dominating at 5 on 5 at every metric. They are facing other team best players and hammering them in terms of possession and goals for percent. Please, oh please don't comment on thing you know next to nothing about, thanks.

I saw your post above and it's even more full of crap, and missing a lot of context. Here are the Sedins possession numbers from a "few years ago" compared to now. In 2010/2011 the Sedins were around 12ish CorsiRel/60 minutes players which is extremely good, this year they are +14ish CorsiRel/60 minutes player. So, yes they're better possession players now, wait that's not all. They went from starting the most shifts in the offensive zone from any player in the league in 2010/2011 (70+ %) to being strength on strength players now (53%) not only that but their RelQoc has gone up significantly from then too went from ~.200 to ~.850. So the Sedins have gone from sheltered offensive threats to two of the most effective two-way players in hockey.

It's an absolute catastrophe that your post was one of the first in the thread, because it's horse crap that is the complete opposite of the truth.

Bookmarked. I'll come back to this in due time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Galchenyuk. He's been our best forward every night, he's dominant on all side of the ice and the guys and himself can't bury anything he creates... I hope it will come sooner or later. I don't think he should have double his points or anything, but surely he could be around 26 points right now if he was a bit less snake bitten. Just yesterday he had two great chances and Pacioretty had two others that could've converted.

Tarasenko could probably have double the number of goals he's got right now if he was putting away every single grade A scoring chance he gets. He's gettin opportunities night in and night out that most players would dream of.

Oh yeah and be on a 99 goal pace... Come on now.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Kadri has been our best forward. He has really stepped it up this year, even though not producing nearly as much as he should, he has been snakebitten. However he is still around 50% on the draws, backchecks effectively, and is always creating. He makes Winnik and Santorelli look like Kane and Benn.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Olli Jokinen's hair is the most misleading thing about the NHL this year. His whole career this Finnish ******* has been a baldy. Now all of a sudden he is sporting a glorious flow but he sucks at hockey? Obviously he made a deal with the man downstairs.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Going to say Maholtra in Montreal. He might not have any points but brings many other things and it's nice to have a top faceoff guy after years of lacking in this area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad