Players Whose Offensive Statistics are Misleading

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Going to say Maholtra in Montreal. He might not have any points but brings many other things and it's nice to have a top faceoff guy after years of lacking in this area.

Best 4th line center ever, honestly wouldn't care if he ended the season with 0 points. Best FO guy in the league and he basically only takes defensive zone faceoffs, which makes life much easier on Plekanec.

Karlsson2Turris*

Erik Karlsson. Been great offensively and some games has looked decent defensively (still not at Norris level, but I don't know if he will ever be). But he doesn't have as many point as he should because of our inept offense.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The Sedins and Vrbata are all soft, slow and a complete liability on the ice at even strength. The only situation in which their skills are useful is on the PP, because the extra space allows them to use their cute little passes at the opponents blueline. They're in their mid 30's and it shows, big time.

Vrbata slow? :huh:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Oh, so your opinion isn't based on any viewings, but just a name you barely recognize high on the points ladder. Makes sense - very worthwhile stat watching there.

For the record, Tyler Johnson is sporting the highest Corsi and Fenwick on the team (Check that - Kucherov is highest among forwards, but they're linemates so close enough), and while his PDO is a bit high at 1017, it's not nosebleed high, and comes a lot from the fact he's on a line where all three player can put it in the net.

Exactly this...I can make an avatar bet with you too that he won't remain top 10 in scoring by the end of the season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Mike Richards has done just about everything but score. He has had a few defensive miscues, but so have many others.

Richards is a good one. He's been super creative but is usually playing with anchors.

It always blows my mind how low Trevor Lewis' point total are because he is superb carrying and dishing the puck, is fast and tenacious on the forecheck, and turns it on production wise in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the Pens, Chris Kunitz tops this list by a wide margin.

Based solely on stats, it appears he's having a good season. But his actual performance has been hot garbage for much of the year. Most of his points (especially goals) came at the beginning of the year on the powerplay, when the Pens' PP unit was working at over 40% efficiency and scoring 2 or 3 goals per game.

Most of the time at 5 on 5, he looks disinterested and just glides around the ice, doesn't hustle to loose pucks, doesn't win puck battles, etc. He's out right now with a foot injury, so it's unclear how much that affected his overall work ethic/performance. But overall, he's been a huge disappointment this year, despite his decent point totals.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Exactly this...I can make an avatar bet with you too that he won't remain top 10 in scoring by the end of the season.

He might not. I think we have different interpretations of what this thread is asking though. You're taking it to mean: "What players won't be able to keep up what they're presently doing?" But some of us, myself included, think it means: "What players have been playing in a way that doesn't accurately reflect their point totals (either good or bad)?" i.e., who's playing poorly but putting up points, or who's playing very well but not putting up points.

For the former, I can understand why you don't think Johnson will keep it up. It's not easy to stay at a ppg level. But in the latter, Johnson has absolutely earned his points this year and he's playing like a superstar. Maybe that will change, but his points are a very accurate reflection of how he's played so far. He's been the best player on a team that includes Steven Stamkos. And it really hasn't been particularly close.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Richards is a good one. He's been super creative but is usually playing with anchors.

It always blows my mind how low Trevor Lewis' point total are because he is superb carrying and dishing the puck, is fast and tenacious on the forecheck, and turns it on production wise in the playoffs.

Trevor Lewis is unbelievably better than his point totals suggest. Good call. Kings would definitely feel his impact if he was to leave.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He might not. I think we have different interpretations of what this thread is asking though. You're taking it to mean: "What players won't be able to keep up what they're presently doing?" But some of us, myself included, think it means: "What players have been playing in a way that doesn't accurately reflect their point totals (either good or bad)?" i.e., who's playing poorly but putting up points, or who's playing very well but not putting up points.

For the former, I can understand why you don't think Johnson will keep it up. It's not easy to stay at a ppg level. But in the latter, Johnson has absolutely earned his points this year and he's playing like a superstar. Maybe that will change, but his points are a very accurate reflection of how he's played so far. He's been the best player on a team that includes Steven Stamkos. And it really hasn't been particularly close.

Yeah I think I understood this thread wrong, I thought it was just asking which stats are misleading that will correct themselves by seasons end. A few Lighting fans explained to me what OP is actually asking and why I was wrong though, I'm just too lazy to edit my original post.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau has got 21 points but he could easily have 27-30+. His teammates are beginning to learn to expect great passes from him, but they still aren't quite cashing in like they should. He's also been a touch snake bitten himself.

He's due for a few big games.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Leafs entire top line does. They've been consistently among the worst lines in the league defensively for years.

Ultimately they're very ineffective (at OUTSCORING the opposition) relative to what their scoring would suggest and relative to their teammates who score less.

...and then when your bottom 6 scores an NHL worse 39g

The change in the bottom 6 has been refreshing, especially in scoring.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Tyler Seguin, this guy only scores in bunches.

Scoreless games
Nash 5
Malkin 5
Voracek 6
Giroux 6
Seguin 9
Stamkos 9
Johnson 9
Crosby 10
Tarasenko 10
Backstrom 10
Kessel 11
Getzlaf 11
Forsberg 11
Kane 12
Marleau 13

If Seguin's stats are misleading, so are the stats of Stamkos, Johnson, Crosby, Tarasenko, Backstrom, Kessel, Getzlaf, Foresberg, Kane, and Marleau

bhawks1399*

Marian hossa is getting chances and making plays all over the place but can't finish

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Hoffman is on pace for 40 points but this guy has so much potential, hes dangerous almost every shift thanks to his speed, has 8 goals thru 24 games which puts him on pace for about 27 this year. He's so incredibly fast, I'm sure he could outskate Karlsson on a straight line.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Bookmarked. I'll come back to this in due time.

What? My post has nothing to do "I'll come back and in due time" you literally made a post that was the furthest thing to the truth. In all honestly your post was one of the worst I've ever seen on this forum, one that cannot be backed up with anything. I debunked everything you said.

Just straight up don't take the 3rd post in the thread seriously, it's a hack job with no basis.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Beleskey's on pace for 38 goals and 5 assists

Don't really have much to add, but holy ****

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Nash, he has 18 goals (+10 assists) in 27 or so games, one would at first look think that he's a star but he's really just a first line winger.

Taylor hall has 17 points in 23 games but is really the best winger in the league.

:sarcasm:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Sheahan is not elite defensively. He's better than many in that regard but like hell has he reached elite status yet.
It's a strange thing to say about the most sheltered forward on the team in terms of zone starts
DRW's C's are held to a high standard, but, imo, sheahan's not even that strong defensively. he isn't used on PK and has easy assignments. he's not close to bad defensively, though, and his line usually is very good in possession, so they don't get scored on much.

among C's on his team he would be near or at the bottom, especially if PK is included. andersson is very replaceable, but he is used on PK whereas sheahan isn't.

when i saw him in college, he looked better defensively than offensively, but he's better offensively than defensively in the NHL. also strong on the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->