Players who look good stats-wise but are bad?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ryan Spooner - not necessarily bad, but definitely not as good as stats indicate

Last edited:

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I kinda hate jumping on the "run Eberle out of town" bandwagon. But I'm all honesty I'm kinda shocked he got 51 points this season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ben Lovejoy is a career +50 regular season and playoffs combined, being a defensive defenseman that's probably the main stat for him.

From my team i'd say Big Buff.. he's been racking up 50 points and hasn't been a minus player in 3 straight seasons, but some nights when you watch him play and the minutes he gets, you'd think he's a minus player every year. Just by looking at his stats you might think he's a solid #1 defenseman, but he's really not..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ben Lovejoy is a career +50 regular season and playoffs combined, being a defensive defenseman that's probably the main stat for him

I actually don't think he's that bad, though.

This season he was, but this season was abnormal for him.

Generally, his team gives up fewer shots and goals when he's on the ice.

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Dylan Larkin. He can fly..and that's about it. I like the kid and in his defense Detroit was a tire fire this year, but I do think his rookie stats made him appear better than he may end up being

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
6-6 225 lbs Jeff Schultz circa 2010
3 Goals, 20 Assists and a league leading plus minus of 50. Should of sold on that one

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Marincin is a guy who, based on advanced stats, should be a regular on a third pairing. When you actually watch him, hes a tire fire.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Beaulieu and Pacioretty. I can't even remember ever seeing Beaulieu make a play where I said "wow, what a pass!" or anyhting like that. I had no idea how he got 28 points.

Pacioretty is just streaky. He'll score 3-4 points one game then be invisible for the next 6 games.

That's what you get when you look at message boards instead of games - nonsense.

There were only four times last year that Pacioretty went more than 2 games without a point. Only once did he go more than 3 games without a point.

And I believe that he only had a couple of games where he scored more than 2 points.

Just looking at points, he's actually a very consistent producer. Also plays well on the penalty kill.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
fill kissel. then every other single player.

The guy that easily could've won the Conn Smythe last year? He's a bad player?

Hornqvist

He will be largely ineffective for 5-10 games at a time, but you know exactly what you're getting out of him: 20-25 goals, net front, and a major pain in the ass to the other team. He's one of the more valuable Penguin forwards even with the stars on the roster.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Marc-André Bergeron looks ok stats wise. Not great, but ok, whereas he was a terrible, terrible defenseman.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Marincin is a guy who, based on advanced stats, should be a regular on a third pairing. When you actually watch him, hes a tire fire.

Same as he was on the Oilers.

90% of the time he is a reliable player who would fit into most teams as a #6.

But the other 10% of the time he is creating goals for the other team in outrageous fashion.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
That's what you get when you look at message boards instead of games - nonsense.

There were only four times last year that Pacioretty went more than 2 games without a point. Only once did he go more than 3 games without a point.

And I believe that he only had a couple of games where he scored more than 2 points.

Just looking at points, he's actually a very consistent producer. Also plays well on the penalty kill.

I've watched almost every Canadiens game since the 2008-09 season

Even if he gets an assist it doesn't necessarily mean he was an effective player for that game. You can't just stat watch.

I do agree that he is rock solid defensively though.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Kessel. Particularly the version the Leafs got.

James Reimer usually had decent stats, but anyone who has watched him extensively knows he's not a #1.

Talk about bad takes. This is definitely one of the worst. Some people don't know when to stop. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad