Players who look good stats-wise but are bad?

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Lee Stempniak manages to put up points where ever he goes, but I am never super impressed by his play.

And he cant seem to stick on with any team. 7 in the last 4 years, 10 different teams in his 12 year career, and has never been able to stick with a team longer than 3 years.

PA Parenteau strikes me as the exact same mould.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Kessel. Particularly the version the Leafs got.

James Reimer usually had decent stats, but anyone who has watched him extensively knows he's not a #1.

Kessel? He carried the Leafs offense for years. He was exactly what his stats showed.

Also everyone knows Reimer isn't a true #1 however while in Toronto he was a huge factor in the Leafs even making the playoffs and he was often left hanging. He really didn't have much to work with.

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014
I don't know what his advanced stats have been like recently, but for quite a while, Brendan Smith could have been a poster child for this phenomenon.

KevEggs

Jul 4, 2016
New York
definitely big buff he scores a decent amount but is probably the 4th best defenseman on the Jets after Trouba, Morrissey, and Myers

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Brad Boyes once scored over 40 goals, I know it wasn't very recent but it's what immediately came to mind

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Nick Holden tallied it up early in the season and then promptly returned to being himself later

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Drew Stafford (if he isn't producing, he is a useless, defensive liability)

Dennis Wideman

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Troy Brouwer AINEC

Somehow he put 13,18,21 and 25 goals last 4 seasons and about ~40 points (the only exception is 16/17) while being one of the worst wingers in my eyes. Anchor in 5 on 5, big but can't throw a hit, only team effort helps him score and decent shot.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I don't know what his advanced stats have been like recently, but for quite a while, Brendan Smith could have been a poster child for this phenomenon.
His career high in points us 19, how can he be overrated offensively? Unless you're talking about his final season at Wisconsin. Or his advanced stats but I was talking more about Hockeydb stats for this thread.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Mika Zibanejad used to be that guy in Ottawa. Put up a pile of points in a couple games and then go missing for a 5-6 game stretch. He seems to have been more consistent this season.

Bobby Ryan also, he'd always finish the season with 50 points and you'd wonder how he got that many. Another very streaky player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad