Players who look good stats-wise but are bad?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I often have that assumption with players who put up decent numbers on poor teams.

What it comes down to is the fact that someone has to end up on the PP1 or playing with the team's one star. But really, if the team had any decent talent, the guy would be playing on the bottom 6, or traded to a crappy team that just needs someone with an iota of offensive acumen who can pot the occasional goal if spoonfed heaps of quality ice time.

Someone like, say, Markus Granlund.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Sven Andrighetto playing with MacKinnon is another good one. 15 pts in 19 games while playing first powerplay and first line on a team with no pressure.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I often have that assumption with players who put up decent numbers on poor teams.

What it comes down to is the fact that someone has to end up on the PP1 or playing with the team's one star. But really, if the team had any decent talent, the guy would be playing on the bottom 6, or traded to a crappy team that just needs someone with an iota of offensive acumen who can pot the occasional goal if spoonfed heaps of quality ice time.

Someone like, say, Markus Granlund.

Also see Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson, and Sam Gagner before this year.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Matt Moulson (islanders version)?

Mind you he did excel at his few positives (finishing, deflections, shot) but certainly wasn't the player stats said he was.

Always like him in chel though.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
This thread screams Randy Jones of Flyers fame. He had pretty solid stats as a defenseman, but was easily one of the most horrific defenseman I have ever seen play the game. He made Brandon Manning look like Weber.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Prior to this season Monahan to a small degree. Wennberg earlier on this season as well. Both players actually play was nothing like what the stats said.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
One bizarre condition. Sidney Crosby? Reductio ad absurdum. So, there ain't such players.

But players who look good but are bad stat-wise (and yet might be good otherwise) is then again a sound category. At least half of the league.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR and Bozak. Not that they'e bad, but defensively they leave a LOT to be desired. Straight looking at their points will have you overrating them as a player.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
JVR and Bozak. Not that they'e bad, but defensively they leave a LOT to be desired. Straight looking at their points will have you overrating them as a player.

But but ...- the advanced stats, the corsi something what!?! :amazed:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Pominville almost had 50 points. Decent in regular season but has no second gear whatsoever in the playoffs. He's very smart but that's about it.

In the last 5 years the only player with more points in the playoffs is Parise. He led our team in points the year prior against Dallas with 7 in 6 games.

Silly narrative is silly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In general, there's two types of players who would fit this. One would be a mediocre player given opportunities that would normally be out of reach for him due to playing on a bad team. Parenteau would be an example of that, skilled enough to be the best choice for a scoring position on a team without good options.

The other option would be a player that can produce, but who is so weak in the rest of his game that his stat-line doesn't capture his impact.

But but ...- the advanced stats, the corsi something what!?! :amazed:

Supports his case.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
In general, there's two types of players who would fit this. One would be a mediocre player given opportunities that would normally be out of reach for him due to playing on a bad team. Parenteau would be an example of that, skilled enough to be the best choice for a scoring position on a team without good options.

The other option would be a player that can produce, but who is so weak in the rest of his game that his stat-line doesn't capture his impact.

Supports his case.

Meaning they have good corsi something; well, if so, it undermines the advanced stats based arguments for this or that or, otherwise, means that they are "good" indeed, even "outside the stats"...

If meaning the opposite, i.e. their advanced stats are lousy in this or that relevant dimension, then they are not "good" even "stats-wise"...

Go figure...

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Meaning they have good corsi something; well, if so, it undermines the advanced stats based arguments for this or that or, otherwise, means that they are "good" indeed, even "outside the stats"...

If meaning the opposite, i.e. their advanced stats are lousy in this or that relevant dimension, then they are not "good" even "stats-wise"...

Go figure...

I think he meant the latter. I would still take JVR on my team though, net front presence on the PP that can put 30-30 is still a valuable player even with his defensive deficiencies. You just need to find him the right linemates to minimize his flaws.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Evander Kane.

He is very good at some things but atrociously bad at everything else. His defensive play is so so terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad