Players who are labeled incorrectly

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Also, if you take a look, many teams rather use their 4th and 3rd liners on PK than their star players, even if that star player is regarded as a great defensive player.

Who else is regarded as a great defensive centre and has to be sheltered from defensive zone faceoffs?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
From the leafs, it's easily JVR. He's been very good under Babcock.

If anything it's Gardiner.. JVR is what he is, a poor defensively winger who is elite around the net and will frustrate you with his lazy plays.

Gardiner on the other hand is seen as a one dimensional offensive D (He can move the puck is all they think he does)who lacks hockey IQ and makes constant mistakes.

In reality, since Babcock came in, he has had two amazing years in a row, and last year he was for sure a top pairing, two way D. Lots of people really disagree with that, yet they can't provide anything to say otherwise. Literally everything from advanced stats to regular stat line shows he is elite.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think Phil Kessel is mis-labeled as a pure goal-scorer.

In his time in Toronto, he had the best shot and was their best player, so many players deferred to him, causing him to have to bear the goal-scoring load. He's not really a very versatile goal scorer though... Most of his goals on a far side snapshot (typically shooting at the left side of the net from the right wing). He went the entire 15-16 season with the Penguins without scoring a single slap-shot or true one-time goal.

In Pittsburgh, with more talented teammates he has emerged as a bit of a playmaker, and less of a one-trick goal scorer.

He was also labeled a locker room cancer in Toronto, and judging from the way the players and fans have received him here in Pittsburgh, this is clearly not the case.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I think Phil Kessel is mis-labeled as a pure goal-scorer.

In his time in Toronto, he had the best shot and was their best player, so many players deferred to him, causing him to have to bear the goal-scoring load. He's not really a very versatile goal scorer though... Most of his goals on a far side snapshot (typically shooting at the left side of the net from the right wing). He went the entire 15-16 season with the Penguins without scoring a single slap-shot or true one-time goal.

In Pittsburgh, with more talented teammates he has emerged as a bit of a playmaker, and less of a one-trick goal scorer.

He was also labeled a locker room cancer in Toronto, and judging from the way the players and fans have received him here in Pittsburgh, this is clearly not the case.

He also isn't lazy af and does play some defense. He is just absolutely terrible at every board battle which makes it look like that :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For some reason Laine is perceived as a one dimensional shooter. It's a narrative created by mainly his detractors but it's seemingly starting to stick. I'd say his playmaking/passing is above average and while he doesn't play the most physical game ever, he does know how to hit.

to be fair, even if he is, no one will care. He's that good of a shooter.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ferland - People think of the hits against Vancouver but he's a very skilled player that hardly ever takes penalties.

Brodie - People that don't watch him lots seem to lump him in as an offensive guy. He's great in transition but his offense is way behind his defensive play.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
For some reason Laine is perceived as a one dimensional shooter. It's a narrative created by mainly his detractors but it's seemingly starting to stick. I'd say his playmaking/passing is above average and while he doesn't play the most physical game ever, he does know how to hit.

Crosby said the same about his underrated passing

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah, Horvat got the defensive forward thing stuck to him since the draft, but he's turned into much more of a Bertuzzi kind of player who just barrels his way to the net.

Burrows had the pest label for years but he's such a heart and soul, team-first hustler.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
And I thought he was labeled as a joke.

No offense to Montreal, he just is really lacking.

On pace for 60 points last year... 30 goals the year before...

Sure wish we had more "jokes" who are "really lacking"

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Rasmus Ristolainen is a high-end offensive defenseman, none of this shutdown defensive bs he's been forced into.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For Islanders I see the occasional Power Forward label being thrown around for Brock Nelson. i think he gets called that because he is big but his style of play is the exact opposite of what I would expect out of a power forward

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
People still sometimes label JVR as a power forward, at this point its usually just in the trade boards to try and dupe other teams(and presumably their gm's? People there seem to think they read them I swear! Otherwise the lying would just be pointless) into thinking he is something other than a good soft as butter, lazy, terrible defensively, but adept with the puck or in the ozone and good in front of the net(but far from elite, unless the measure of "elite netfront play" is to attempt to put the puck through your leg and right into the goalies chest on every play), who also happened to take the title of team's worst forward in the last couple playoff games by simply being his gutless mid January-onward self.

But yes, one Josh Manson please.

No? Have you heard about Bozak or our second?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
People still sometimes label JVR as a power forward, at this point its usually just in the trade boards to try and dupe other teams(and presumably their gm's? People there seem to think they read them I swear! Otherwise the lying would just be pointless) into thinking he is something other than a good soft as butter, lazy, terrible defensively, but adept with the puck or in the ozone and good in front of the net(but far from elite, unless the measure of "elite netfront play" is to attempt to put the puck through your leg and right into the goalies chest on every play), who also happened to take the title of team's worst forward in the last couple playoff games by simply being his gutless mid January-onward self.

But yes, one Josh Manson please.

No? Have you heard about Bozak or our second?

That's pretty hilarious.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
JVR being PWF or not depends on your definition. Whether you mean "hard nosed forward" which JVR is not or "forward who does most of his work at the net" which he is.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
To be honest, I dont know what people have against JVR. I would love to have him on the Sens
I wouldn't be surprised if it's because he's a scoring forward with a reputation for not having the most well-rounded defensive game. Some people don't want players like this unless they're the very best at their respective positions... which seems a little silly to me.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I wouldn't be surprised if it's because he's a scoring forward with a reputation for not having the most well-rounded defensive game. Some people don't want players like this unless they're the very best at their respective positions... which seems a little silly to me.

The only wingers that HF likes are sure-fire HoF'ers, under 25, or named Wayne Simmonds.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Erik Karlsson as a offensive d-man ( i mean yea he's the best at offence, but he is also elite at defence and the best all around player in the world.)

Ovechkin as a one dimensional shooter. In reality he is a actually a great passer.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Mcdavid gets the right amount of praise overall but id say the one area people mislabel him is defensively. Hes already good positionally and overall. Always weird to see people question his defensive ability. Maybe its because hes so offensively good people assume hes not good defensively

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Mcdavid gets the right amount of praise overall but id say the one area people mislabel him is defensively. Hes already good positionally and overall. Always weird to see people question his defensive ability. Maybe its because hes so offensively good people assume hes not good defensively

The Karlsson principle.

if you lap the field offensively, you must suck at defense.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

That does surprise me, I have never heard that said. I thought it was common knowledge that McDavid was good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad