Players who are labeled incorrectly

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Bo Horvat: Everybody in Vancouver and the media calls him a "two way center-man" Instead what he really is an offensive power-forward.

His work on the PK is pretty dreadful, and they keep forcing him there for some reason.

People who watch him on a regular basis here in Vancouver will notice that with little opportunity he is getting a ton done offensively on the ice, creating a ton of chances usually single handedly.

This year is going to be a huge breakout year for him.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Bo Horvat: Everybody in Vancouver and the media calls him a "two way center-man" Instead what he really is an offensive power-forward.

His work on the PK is pretty dreadful, and they keep forcing him there for some reason.

People who watch him on a regular basis here in Vancouver will notice that with little opportunity he is getting a ton done offensively on the ice, creating a ton of chances usually single handedly.

This year is going to be a huge breakout year for him.

Brouwer: 2-way power forward.

Brouwer is absolutely terrible defensively, unless he plays with a slower team.

Steen: Elite defensive winger.

Don't get me wrong, Steen was an elite defensive winger, and his actual defensive play is still great, but his advanced stats as of late don't say that. When he's on the ice, his team gives up more goals per 60 as well. Some could be faulted at the goalie's incompetence, but at the same time goalies don't suddenly become competent when Steen is off the ice. Steen's defensive work ethic is still elite, but so are well a lot of terrible defensive players, so that doesn't say much when his effectiveness isn't as strong anymore. Just for the Blues forwards only, I'd take Stastny, Sobotka, Berglund, and Schwartz defensively over Steen. Schwartz and Stastny in every situations including offensively over Steen.

Last edited:

member 151739

Erik Karlsson, Shea Weber, Roman Josi. Those three come to mind.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
For some reason Laine is perceived as a one dimensional shooter. It's a narrative created by mainly his detractors but it's seemingly starting to stick. I'd say his playmaking/passing is above average and while he doesn't play the most physical game ever, he does know how to hit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nail Yakupov.

People think because he's a Russian bust that he's a lazy, selfish, no character player. The dude is heart and soul though. He just lacks between the ears.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Aleksander Barkov often receives praise for his defensive game and he has been proposed in the Selke trophy candidates discussion. I agree that he is a very responsible player defensively, he creates turnovers in the neutral zone and plays very well under pressure in the defensive zone with the puck. Overall you can trust him defensively.

But when it comes down to PK time TOI/GP, he was sixth placed in forwards in the team. Trocheck and MacKenzie averaged more. Barkov has significantly less faceoff wins in the defensive zone and worse faceoff %. Barkov plays in the same line with Huberdeau and Jagr, so you could argue that thus he has less defensive zone faceoff wins, but I think the coaches in the past rightly thought that Trocheck is more reliable in the defensive zone and in the PK.

If you take a look at who had most defensive zone faceoff wins, Selke Trophy candidates were #1, #2, and #4 in that stat in the league. Trocheck was #13. Barkov #82. But Barkov gets more credit in general for his defensive play, while I think he's more like a playmaker.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
From the leafs, it's easily JVR. He's been very good under Babcock.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Mitch Marner has been brought up several times recently by some people here implying his two-way game is poor. While, he's got more room to grow here, Marner is a pretty darn responsible. Backchecks hard and adept at stripping the puck from opposing players.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Mitch Marner has been brought up several times recently by some people here implying his two-way game is poor. While, he's got more room to grow here, Marner is a pretty darn responsible. Backchecks hard and adept at stripping the puck from opposing players.

Honestly - I think pretty takeaways are overrated from a defensive standpoint. Drouin is great at those - doesn't mean he is any good defensively. I won't comment on Marner specifically since I watched like... 7 Leafs games all season, but I'm saying puck-stripping, while a defensive play, does not a defensive player make. Positioning and awareness in the D zone is the primary factor.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honestly - I think pretty takeaways are overrated from a defensive standpoint. Drouin is great at those - doesn't mean he is any good defensively. I won't comment on Marner specifically since I watched like... 7 Leafs games all season, but I'm saying puck-stripping, while a defensive play, does not a defensive player make. Positioning and awareness in the D zone is the primary factor.

Agreed. Just an additional thing I wanted to note Marner is good at. I'm certainly not suggesting he's a selke nominee or remotely close to it, or even ever would be one, but any thoughts he's bad without the puck are grossly misinformed (not aimed at you)

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
If you take a look at who had most defensive zone faceoff wins, Selke Trophy candidates were #1, #2, and #4 in that stat in the league. Trocheck was #13. Barkov #82. But Barkov gets more credit in general for his defensive play, while I think he's more like a playmaker.

So what you're basically saying is that Barkov isn't all that good on faceoffs? Well, he isn't and neither are many other centermen of his age group. Anyway, I've seen _a lot_ of Panthers-games and I'd say Barkov is superior to Trocheck in the defensive zone, just overally better at almost everything.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
So what you're basically saying is that Barkov isn't all that good on faceoffs? Well, he isn't and neither are many other centermen of his age group. Anyway, I've seen _a lot_ of Panthers-games and I'd say Barkov is superior to Trocheck in the defensive zone, just overally better at almost everything.

He bashes every panthers player. It's not anything new.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

He has to then improve massively if he's considered #1 defensive centre in Florida.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If you google Boone Jenner, the NHL.com site still lists him as a center. He played center in Major Junior but in the NHL he's almost exclusively a winger (LW). While he can take face-offs and is defensively responsible, he is best used on the wing down low digging pucks out of the corner and playing in front of the goal.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Anyone who gets unjustified praise. :)

No one has praised Barkov for his faceoffs? It's well known he has to improve. Also, if you take a look, many teams rather use their 4th and 3rd liners on PK than their star players, even if that star player is regarded as a great defensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad