News Article: Players Tribune: Thank You, New York by Ryan McDonagh

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Very good read.

For as frustrated as I was the last season plus with his play, I will ALWAYS love Ryan McDonagh and appreciate every part of him during his time here. He will hold a special place in my Ranger fandom. Now 28 years old, he came up right during that frame between being a fan as a teenage kid and a man. The best time to experience the years they had all those runs to the ECF and SCF.

Thank you Ryan McDonagh. Thank you. Maybe some day you will be a Ranger again. Hopefully on the tail end of this rebuild when we are making the push again

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Great article.

Plus this is a sneaky way of having a "Thank you" thread without being screamed at about how McDonagh is NOT A MEMBER of the team anymore.

I'll miss McD. Great player, great guy. Best defenseman we've had since Leetch and a big part of some of the biggest Rangers moments I've gotten to watch the past two decades.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Definitely going to miss Mac... best of luck in Tampa.

At his best, an absolute beast, though we haven't gotten to see that side of him very often the last few years. Hoping that a change of venue does the trick :)

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Mac was a good Ranger. Played hard, played the right way. Gave it his all and was a great player for many years.

You know what? I never really felt any attachment to him. I don't know what it was. I always had more of an attachment to Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Zuccarello, Stepan, and so forth. I don't know why I never developed that real fondness for him, but it just wasn't there. When those other guys left (minus Zucc, obviously), I felt it. Even Girardi because while he sucked at the end of his tenure with us, he was still the warrior, the guy who came from nowhere to make it as a big time defenseman. With McDonagh, I felt literally zero sadness at his departure.

I still respect the hell out of him! I just never had the attachment.

Probably because while he grew with the team he was never really Ranger’s property.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Did anyone catch that he didn't mention Hank in that article? Maybe he didn't mean it... Then again, maybe that was on purpose.. I know Hank has always been an A personality type. I wonder if that rubbed McD the wrong way.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Good dude. Wish him the best with the Lightning. It was right here many of us found out he was coming in the Gomez deal. Been a great run.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Did anyone catch that he didn't mention Hank in that article? Maybe he didn't mean it... Then again, maybe that was on purpose.. I know Hank has always been an A personality type. I wonder if that rubbed McD the wrong way.

I wouldn't read anything into it. He only talked about a couple players anyway, , most of them being defenseman or captains... and his Wisconsin buddy Step.

Reactions: UnSandvich

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
I wouldn't read anything into it. He only talked about a couple players anyway, , most of them being defenseman or captains... and his Wisconsin buddy Step.

With me being a goalie, I'd be extremely surprised if McD and Lundqvist were at least close, considering the fact that Lundqvist is probably the biggest leader (if not the biggest) outside of the Captain. I can tell you that on the ice, I'll talk to my defensemen FAR more than anyone else, so the fact that he didn't mention Lundy surprised me a bit (although from the read, I doubt they hung out much outside of the rink).

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Thanks for posting that... Not gonna lie... read it @ work... tearing up.

I'll always remember how he and Step (JT also) wouldn't move until the very end of the Star Spangled Banner and the color guard was off the ice.

Class f***ING act.

Thanks for everything McD... you will be missed. Best of Luck in Tampa!

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona

Yes he did, as one of the veteran leaders he learned from.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Mac was a good Ranger. Played hard, played the right way. Gave it his all and was a great player for many years.

You know what? I never really felt any attachment to him. I don't know what it was. I always had more of an attachment to Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Zuccarello, Stepan, and so forth. I don't know why I never developed that real fondness for him, but it just wasn't there. When those other guys left (minus Zucc, obviously), I felt it. Even Girardi because while he sucked at the end of his tenure with us, he was still the warrior, the guy who came from nowhere to make it as a big time defenseman. With McDonagh, I felt literally zero sadness at his departure.

I still respect the hell out of him! I just never had the attachment.
I love McDonagh as a Ranger but honestly I feel the same. I'll feel sad for Staal when he's gone, I was sad when Girardi left. I'm not so sad he's gone and I think it has to do with the state of the team because we're an older. We haven't had much excitement, the real excitement comes from a young and upcoming team. I'm always so bored watching games these days considering its am average aged team. The only exciting piece on the current Rangers team is Pavel.

Maybe I'll feel sad when they play his tribute. I'll probably end up shedding a year lol

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Happy to say he was a Ranger, and one of my favourite Rangers. I haven't had a real deep emotional bond with any player since Leetch, to be honest, perhaps I'm just growing up. That said, the closest I got were to McD and Cally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad