News Article: Players Tribune: Thank You, New York by Ryan McDonagh

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Gonna miss him for sure. Not my favorite player but he gave it all for the team.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Got so caught up in "the return" we got for him, that it didnt even really sink in that he was leaving.

He didn't win a cup.. but god damn we had some good memories along the way. Outside of the teams that won cups, it's hard to say anyone had a better 5-6 year run than the Rangers.

End of an era for sure. Thanks for everything Mac.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
giphy.gif

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The day that trade was announced, people were so focused on getting rid of Gomez. I was stunned. We’re dumping Gomez AND getting back Ryan McDonagh in the deal? I was high on him in the 2007 draft.

Thank you, Bob Gainey. Thank you, Ryan McDonagh.

One day we will look back at the McDonagh trade where we got Namestnikov back and realize Hajek was the best player in the trade after all ;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mac was a good Ranger. Played hard, played the right way. Gave it his all and was a great player for many years.

You know what? I never really felt any attachment to him. I don't know what it was. I always had more of an attachment to Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Zuccarello, Stepan, and so forth. I don't know why I never developed that real fondness for him, but it just wasn't there. When those other guys left (minus Zucc, obviously), I felt it. Even Girardi because while he sucked at the end of his tenure with us, he was still the warrior, the guy who came from nowhere to make it as a big time defenseman. With McDonagh, I felt literally zero sadness at his departure.

I still respect the hell out of him! I just never had the attachment.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
That McDonagh and Sauer pairing looked like it was going to rule the blueline for a decade. It sucks what happened to Sauer, but Mac got even better than I could have ever imagine. The year they got to the cup, I genuinely believed Mac was one of the three best D-Men in the entire league. Karlsson won the Norris, and then Mac and Doughty looked every bit as good that playoffs. I don't care what happened in the league before, or after, those were the three best in the league as of June 2014.

I don't know what happened after that. Did they leave it all on the ice? Did injuries start to catch up? Mac was never quite the same after that, although still very good. On top of that, he remained a class act the entire time. I cringed a lot at Callahan/Dury statements during their captaincy, I don't think I did once during Mac's. Total class act, and I wish him nothing but the best in the future.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
McDonagh has been favorite Ranger since the glory days with Leetch, Messier, Graves, and Richter. I hope he wins a cup in Tampa, regardless of the draft implications. Definitely going to miss him.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad