News Article: Players Tribune: Thank You, New York by Ryan McDonagh

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To you old farts out there - how does your fandom and appreciation for various eras compare?
I assume you mean Reggie Dunlop when you say old farts but I will answer for the lived in the 70's generation. My 3 favorite teams in order were
1. 1979
2. 2014
3. 1994
My favorite era was 1978-1984
This recent era would be tied with the Leetch/Richter era.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
giphy.gif

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
McD is a great guy... so sad that AV got to ruin the Rangers while Mac was around..

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Callahan was crazy greedy. It was all his fault he got dealt. McDonagh just got near 30 at the wrong time. Team's run was over. I am 100% behind the rebuild as long as AV is gone. If you kind of read through the lines with Gorton's comments on AV, I took it that he's gone. Team will do exit interviews. I'm pretty sure Hank. Zucc, Kreider, Zibanejad, Skjei, Hayes, Fast, Staal and a few others won't have anything nice to say about AV at this point.

He wanted one extra year.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Aside from Lundqvist, he was my favorite player on the Rangers for years.

He can now win the cup with his old buddies from the “things and stuff” run minus the “things and stuff” and more pucks crossing the goal line.

Good luck McD!

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I appreciate McD but cant say im devastated that hes gone. To me once Cally and Dubi got traded, even letting Boyle walk, the team gained talent but lost alot of heart and tenacity that the team of the past few years lacked. I dont wanna get into hypotheticals about the Kings and Lightning series, but I always felt this recent Rangers team lacked a killer instinct and a f*** you pushback mentality that most Cup winners possess. With some more luck they could have won, but part of me feels like they never really deserved to, too many disappearing acts in big games/moments.

How many times did McD get run by opposing players with no response? Alot of that is AV I know, and hes probably the main culprit for this purseswinging team, but losing guys like Step and McD creates room for a different type of leadership group to emerge.

Reactions: Mikos87

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

WISCONSIN TO WISCONSIN!

:(

Damn..it's starting to really hit now that that window, that team, is over with. We came so close in 13-14...and a game away from heading back to the finals again in 15 :cry:

Man seeing Yandlebar getting all hype on the bench makes me sad , I loved having him on the team and its a shame we couldn't hold onto him.

Reactions: jas

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Man seeing Yandlebar getting all hype on the bench makes me sad , I loved having him on the team and its a shame we couldn't hold onto him.

Yandle went nuts. Any time a goal was scored, he celebrated like he scored it himself. Seemed like a great teammate.

McD seemed like the "lead by example" type of captain. Who knows if it's actually the case. We had success with him wearing the C, and he was a great player for us. He made any system work with any partner. Sucks to see him go, and hopefully he thrives in Tampa.

It's nice to read this article, though. Class act.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
McDonagh has been favorite Ranger since the glory days with Leetch, Messier, Graves, and Richter. I hope he wins a cup in Tampa, regardless of the draft implications. Definitely going to miss him.
If they win a cup, then I suppose there would be no "imp!ications". I'm sorry, I kind of look at that word as kind of a negative thing. In this case, it would be a positive thing. Especially if you are a Rangers of Lightning fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad