News Article: Players Tribune: Thank You, New York by Ryan McDonagh

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Mac was a good Ranger. Played hard, played the right way. Gave it his all and was a great player for many years.

You know what? I never really felt any attachment to him. I don't know what it was. I always had more of an attachment to Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Zuccarello, Stepan, and so forth. I don't know why I never developed that real fondness for him, but it just wasn't there. When those other guys left (minus Zucc, obviously), I felt it. Even Girardi because while he sucked at the end of his tenure with us, he was still the warrior, the guy who came from nowhere to make it as a big time defenseman. With McDonagh, I felt literally zero sadness at his departure.

I still respect the hell out of him! I just never had the attachment.

And, in contrast. I had no emotional attachment to either Callahan or Girardi, while McDonagh was always one of my favorites. I did love both Stepan and Dubi. Heck, losing Brian Boyle made me sad.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
And, in contrast. I had no emotional attachment to either Callahan or Girardi, while McDonagh was always one of my favorites. I did love both Stepan and Dubi. Heck, losing Brian Boyle made me sad.
I miss Boyle more than I miss any of McD, Girardi, Callahan, Dubi, etc.

Since I started watching, I'd say Boyle and Gaborik were the toughest guys to watch go.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I heard his wife hated NY. I have no complaints about McDonagh. Played hard every game. Unlike Miller who was a lazy dog most of the time and was a terrible example for young players.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Seeing McD go sucks. There was nothing not to like about the player. In retrospect, it's doesn't hit home like when Mess and Leetch were gone...or even Cally...but it still sucks.

And jeez, does being Ranger Captain basically guarantee a crappy parting of the ways with the team??? Just look at the history.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

WISCONSIN TO WISCONSIN!

:(

Damn..it's starting to really hit now that that window, that team, is over with. We came so close in 13-14...and a game away from heading back to the finals again in 15 :cry:

Thats a tremendous goal. Tremendous gutsy effort.
If this franchised wasn't cursed we would have been somewhat healthy for the Tampa series and gone on to win the cup rather than playing with 2 healthy defensemen.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Callahan was crazy greedy. It was all his fault he got dealt. McDonagh just got near 30 at the wrong time. Team's run was over. I am 100% behind the rebuild as long as AV is gone. If you kind of read through the lines with Gorton's comments on AV, I took it that he's gone. Team will do exit interviews. I'm pretty sure Hank. Zucc, Kreider, Zibanejad, Skjei, Hayes, Fast, Staal and a few others won't have anything nice to say about AV at this point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was our best defenseman and had been for a long while--a legit No. 1D but not really an elite D. Still he gave his all when he was here so I appreciated that and I appreciate the message he just sent. But it doesn't change the fact that he's going to come back into MSG in the future in a Lightning sweater with the idea he and his team are going to beat our team and I don't like that so much. I can wish Ryan good luck but I still don't give a shit about his new team and I don't want it to win---though if they do the silver lining is we'll have their 1st next year too. It's best to look past what was some times. I think this is one of them. We've got a dark hole to climb out of---he's already out of the hole and running around in the Florida sunshine and pretty soon is only going to have one thing on his mind---to win a Stanley Cup and I'm betting then he might change his mind and decide he likes it fine in Tampa.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I miss Boyle more than I miss any of McD, Girardi, Callahan, Dubi, etc.

Since I started watching, I'd say Boyle and Gaborik were the toughest guys to watch go.
I'm assuming you mean Brian Boyle, right? :) (Not Dan? LOL!!) He solidified our 4th line. I liked him a lot too. Seeing him in NJ bothers me.

[I haven't checked on his health lately. I hope he's okay.]

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Man all of these overtime winners are f***ing me up. Could easily be 5 years before they get back to that level, if at all if things don't go well in the next 2-3. RIP

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Although this trade and McD leaving hit harder then most I can honestly say that the last player that i shed a tear for was Jeter when he retired. I was 13-14 in 96 when he won ROY and when he retired it felt like the last of my child hood had finally fleeted.

McD was one of my favorites of the last crop of rangers along with Step and Zucc. And it is upsetting even though i knew it was coming and am 100% behind the rebuild i will move on.

Like my dad keeps reminding me no matter what happens in the sports world i still have to wake up and go to work in the morning.

Reactions: Synergy27

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

WISCONSIN TO WISCONSIN!

:(

Damn..it's starting to really hit now that that window, that team, is over with. We came so close in 13-14...and a game away from heading back to the finals again in 15 :cry:

Watching all his highlights today made me realize how close we really were. A break or two and we beat LAK, we should have also never lost to TBL (we gave up in G7) and the same v OTT. How is this coach still here? UGH!

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
McDonagh getting traded was for sure the end of an era for this organization.

Bring on a new era that will hopefully end with a Cup (or two, or three)

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Great article, I'll remember his skating and ability to defend 1vs1 I don't think I've ever seen anyone better at that, he either rides you into the boards or breaks up the play 99/100x. I think he was misused somewhat on the PP, never thought it was his strength but we really never had anyone better during that window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad