Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Marner, Tavares
What is this based on? That they have big contracts? I'm not sure on Toronto's forwards, but McDavid took less money than the Oilers offered even, just to make the team more competitive. He's worth every penny and then some. Draisaitl has one of the best contracts in the league. Both are intensely driven to win.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Ovi. He wants him some pp one timers from the dots and that’s about it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Shane Doan is the poster child for this.

That's B.S.

Have you considered that maybe he was just more interested in trying to win a cup with the team he was with? Not everyone sees glory in leaving your team for a better one. I have more respect for the guys that do everything they can to elevate the team they are on.

I'll use Ryan Smyth as an example - stuck it out with the Oilers for ten years before taking them to the Cup Final. That's more respectable than a guy that quits on his team.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
That's B.S.

Have you considered that maybe he was just more interested in trying to win a cup with the team he was with? Not everyone sees glory in leaving your team for a better one. I have more respect for the guys that do everything they can to elevate the team they are on.

I'll use Ryan Smyth as an example - stuck it out with the Oilers for ten years before taking them to the Cup Final. That's more respectable than a guy that quits on his team.

I think he re-signed with Coyotes when they were pretty bad and he was an free agent. He was more happy farming on his ranch than winning Cup. He lacked desire at leasy later on his career.

(Someone correct me w details if I am wrong)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Dougie Hamilton - UFA signed with a rebuilding NJ team

Zach Werenski - signed contract extension to stay with a Tank for Wright campaign on a massively depleted Columbus team

Adam Henrique - seems content playing on a bad team, he just doesn't put in effort every game.

Danault - leaves cup finals team to sign with rebuilding LA team.

Bonino and Cogliano - signed with a rebuilding Sharks team.

Reactions: SoupNazi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Zach Werenski - signed contract extension to stay with a Tank for Wright campaign on a massively depleted Columbus team

Adam Henrique - seems content playing on a bad team, he just doesn't put in effort every game.

Beyond the awful premise of this thread some of these are just incorrect.

Hamilton is signing a very long term deal with a team that is loading up with young talent. Same thing with Zach Werenski in Columbus, they're going to be loaded. L.A. is widely considered to have one of the best pools of young talent in the league, so Danault really might see a cup there down the road.

The drive to win the cup is something you exhibit with the team that you are on with the teammates you have. That's what I respect, players who take their team and try and pull off what seems impossible. Mercenaries can f*** off.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Beyond the awful premise of this thread some of these are just incorrect.

Hamilton is signing a very long term deal with a team that is loading up with young talent. Same thing with Zach Werenski in Columbus, they're going to be loaded. L.A. is widely considered to have one of the best pools of young talent in the league, so Danault really might see a cup there down the road.

The drive to win the cup is something you exhibit with the team that you are on with the teammates you have. That's what I respect, players who take their team and try and pull off what seems impossible. Mercenaries can f*** off.
Columbus is in the early stages of a rebuild. They had a great 2021 draft but their 2018-2019-2020 drafts were bad to mediocre at best.
Werenski is gonna be waiting a long time before they make the playoffs again.

I'll say the same thing about Lindholm & Rakell if they re-sign in Anaheim, they obviously don't want to chase a cup and just enjoy living by the beach if they re-sign.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus is in the early stages of a rebuild. They had a great 2021 draft but their 2018-2019-2020 drafts were bad to mediocre at best.
Werenski is gonna be waiting a long time before they make the playoffs again.

I'll say the same thing about Lindholm & Rakell if they re-sign in Anaheim, they obviously don't want to chase a cup and just enjoy living by the beach if they re-sign.

Zach Werenski's deal starts in a year from now, I think by year 2 or 3 of his deal the Jackets might be back in the playoffs. They have a significant amount of young talent already. They're the youngest team in the league, it's not like a Detroit type franchise exhaustion. The Jackets just converted pieces from their 4 year playoff run into more young talent, so they'll take a step back but their total talent pool is impressive.

The Ducks aren't nearly so deep but any team with Zegras, McTavish and Drysdale coming up is very promising. In a couple years I could see them taking a big step if they make some smart signings to fill the holes that the kids can't take care of.

It honestly annoys me that you would say that about players on your own favorite club. There is a world of possible reasons in between "wanting to win a cup now" and "just wanting to live by the beach". Did you consider that turning the Ducks into a winner is something they might care about?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
One you are settled down with a family, chasing a cup for many doesn’t become the priority and that’s totally understandable.

Whether it’s about not uprooting your family when you’ve been in that same city for a long time, or signing a mega UFA contract with a non contending team but will provide greater financial stability for likely the rest of your family’s lives.

Pretty understandable.

Having said that there are probably guys without any family considerations that just want to quietly play in a small market and collect a pay cheque.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Zach Werenski's deal starts in a year from now, I think by year 2 or 3 of his deal the Jackets might be back in the playoffs. They have a significant amount of young talent already. They're the youngest team in the league, it's not like a Detroit type franchise exhaustion. The Jackets just converted pieces from their 4 year playoff run into more young talent, so they'll take a step back but their total talent pool is impressive.

The Ducks aren't nearly so deep but any team with Zegras, McTavish and Drysdale coming up is very promising. In a couple years I could see them taking a big step if they make some smart signings to fill the holes that the kids can't take care of.

It honestly annoys me that you would say that about players on your own favorite club. There is a world of possible reasons in between "wanting to win a cup now" and "just wanting to live by the beach". Did you consider that turning the Ducks into a winner is something they might care about?
In the 2019-20 season Rakell looked like he didn't care with how he played and looked on the ice but he seemed happy despite that.
Same thing happened with Henrique but in a more extreme way that he gave zero% effort and the Ducks put him on waivers and then he came back and played with some effort.

Ducks are listed as having the best or 2nd best prospect pool. Not sure i want to keep Rakell around when he'll probably want like 5.8mil aav(same as henrique).
Lindholm plays hard every game and hates losing and he's a bit younger than Rakell that i'm ok if he wants to see the rebuild thru and chase a cup with the Ducks at age 32 or 33.

I have yet to hear of Henrique requesting a trade, he puts in questionable effort but doesn't want to request a trade either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In the 2019-20 season Rakell looked like he didn't care with how he played and looked on the ice but he seemed happy despite that.
Same thing happened with Henrique but in a more extreme way that he gave zero% effort and the Ducks put him on waivers and then he came back and played with some effort.

Ducks are listed as having the best or 2nd best prospect pool. Not sure i want to keep Rakell around when he'll probably want like 5.8mil aav(same as henrique).
Lindholm plays hard every game and hates losing and he's a bit younger than Rakell that i'm ok if he wants to see the rebuild thru and chase a cup with the Ducks at age 32 or 33.

I have yet to hear of Henrique requesting a trade, he puts in questionable effort but doesn't want to request a trade either.

So you would retract what you said about Lindholm, that he just wants to live by the beach (if he re-signs)?

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
While athletes tends to be more driven towards winning than the average person, it seems people forget they are humans as well and have humans wants and needs. Some probably are happy to have a job, a family, good pay, living in a city they love or any other number of things that we all have to some degree. The fact that SOME players don't have a huge desire to win the cup isn't a surprise if it means sacrificing too much for them (in their eyes).

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I have the feeling PK Subban is already in the planning stages of his life after hockey.

Maybe. The man does seem to have a brain. But he has been an absolute playoffs warrior. Why someone would pick him, as if a veteran declining on a large salary planning for the future is some oddity, is silly, but unsurprising.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

It's a rebuilding team that will have a very good defense, a strong center corps, and some interesting talents few people outside of NJD fans (I'm a NYI fan) seem to know. (Though with Hamilton's contract, they ought to get rid of Myles Wood before he accidentally skates into Hamilton at full speed and seriously injures him.) I'm also not a big Blackwood fan. But I think both Hughes and Hischier take a step this year, Zacha + Sharangovich continue to develop, and Smith was extremely impressive. They're not long, and only a few moves away from being a playoff team while other teams in the division decline.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Danault is the biggest mystery to me. I always though he really liked it in MTL.

Danault is simply amazing addition to the Kings tho... imo they desperately needed exactly a guy like him to make the team relevant again. Maybe the player pool or some personal connections had something to do with the decision, since apart of the nice prospects, they also seem to have management doing the right things.. Getting Arvidsson for couple 2nd & 3rd round picks seems like an amazing move on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad