Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Literally the worst idea possible to trade Mantha right now. He is at the bottom of is potential value. Better to try to ride this out, and see if he can turn the corner.

This.

I remember when people wanted to trade Datsyuk because, "He's not a playoff guy" and "He's flashy but thats all".
Not saying on this board, but I had heated arguments with friends over it. This was only a few years into his career.
Mantha is not going to become Datsyuk, but he could become Mantha!!!

or Mantha.........

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This.

I remember when people wanted to trade Datsyuk because, "He's not a playoff guy" and "He's flashy but thats all".
Not saying on this board, but I had heated arguments with friends over it. This was only a few years into his career.
Mantha is not going to become Datsyuk, but he could become Mantha!!!

or Mantha.........
It depends on the offer.

I'm not against your approach, but the rebuild is shaping up to reach a turning point in the next year or two, when the switch should flip from hoarding assets to acquire the next core, to rounding out that core and seeing how far it can take them.

I'm not in a rush to deal Mantha by any means, but as the Zadinas and Velenos and Cholowskis of the world become regulars and grow, there will probably need to be a guy or two packaged in a trade, to try to finish off the elements that weren't found via draft, and at the moment Mantha looks like a candidate to keep tabs on.

Maybe UFAs and offer sheets are a gold mine for Detroit, and the defense suddenly improves dramatically. But if one or more trades are still necessary, you have to give to get, and the young forwards (with value) that I'd consider moving are Mantha and AA. We'll see how it unfolds.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The only way he's going to become a 30 goal guy in the NHL is if he commits to being a net front presence. He probably doesn't have the stones for that role so he'll probably end up being a 20-25 goal guy. I don't say that as a criticism as very few players can embrace that role. Homer and Mule did and they both had very successful NHL careers. Mantha simply doesn't have the drive to play that sort of game. Again, it's not said as a criticism, just an acknowledgement of reality.

I've been pushing for trading him for a few years now. He's a nice guy but he is what he is and it's highly unlikely he ever grows beyond the player he is right now.

When I think net front guy, I think of Rasmussen and Holmstrom due to limitations of their skill set to be much of a producer outside the net front. Franzen and Mantha are a completely different skill set with their respective shots. Sure, embracing the dirty areas as a part of his game will supplement his scoring, but I think that the mental aspect of being afraid that "shooting could be the wrong decision" has implanted itself in Mantha's head. We've seen a handful of goals where he comes down the wing and rips a shot to the far post; his shot is unlike anyone on the roster at the current moment when you combine the release, the accuracy, and the power behind it. But a majority of his shots look like they are shots he is taking because the system says he should be taking them, not because he is shooting with the intent to score.

Conveniently, he's only under contract for one more year. I'd like to get him to the offseason on a high note and healthy, give him one last offseason to train and evolve, and we will see what he looks like next year. If we don't see something click, I'm sure Montreal would love to make a good offer for a French-Canadian power forward on a cost controlled RFA contract.

Reactions: Reddwit

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When I think net front guy, I think of Rasmussen and Holmstrom due to limitations of their skill set to be much of a producer outside the net front. Franzen and Mantha are a completely different skill set with their respective shots. Sure, embracing the dirty areas as a part of his game will supplement his scoring, but I think that the mental aspect of being afraid that "shooting could be the wrong decision" has implanted itself in Mantha's head. We've seen a handful of goals where he comes down the wing and rips a shot to the far post; his shot is unlike anyone on the roster at the current moment when you combine the release, the accuracy, and the power behind it. But a majority of his shots look like they are shots he is taking because the system says he should be taking them, not because he is shooting with the intent to score.

Conveniently, he's only under contract for one more year. I'd like to get him to the offseason on a high note and healthy, give him one last offseason to train and evolve, and we will see what he looks like next year. If we don't see something click, I'm sure Montreal would love to make a good offer for a French-Canadian power forward on a cost controlled RFA contract.

We need to see if st. louis would let Hull hang out with the kid. Hull never saw a shot he didn't like, and maybe it would rub off.

Reactions: Hen Kolland

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He had a good game against Nashville.

Mantha strikes me as a guy that once the team gets some real talent on it (this years first, Zadina, Veleno, Larkin even older etc.), he will be really good. He isnt a guy that I think can handle the pressure of being a top 2 or 3 relied on player because hes streaky and hes not necesarily a guy that creates offense like a Larkin does. But once he gets older, hes a guy who can finish great and can be really good net front when talent is on the outside creating.

Even with him having a "down" year like people are talking about, hes still on pace for about 25 goals. The guy finds ways to get pucks in the net, even if he is streaky. Hes coming off a 24 goal rookie season as well. Wait a couple years and he'll be scoring 30 with talent around him, no doubt in my mind

Reactions: Jurky and Winger98

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Mantha strikes me as a guy that once the team gets some real talent on it (this years first, Zadina, Veleno, Larkin even older etc.), he will be really good. He isnt a guy that I think can handle the pressure of being a top 2 or 3 relied on player because hes streaky and hes not necesarily a guy that creates offense like a Larkin does. But once he gets older, hes a guy who can finish great and can be really good net front when talent is on the outside creating.

Even with him having a "down" year like people are talking about, hes still on pace for about 25 goals. The guy finds ways to get pucks in the net, even if he is streaky. Hes coming off a 24 goal rookie season as well. Wait a couple years and he'll be scoring 30 with talent around him, no doubt in my mind

This is actually a great post, maybe we should be patient with not just Mantha, but AA too. I keep hearing some people (Myself included) trying to trade some of these guys, but we need to realize that the team is rebuilding, with more talented players coming in our way in the future, guys like Mantha and AA will likely improve.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is actually a great post, maybe we should be patient with not just Mantha, but AA too. I keep hearing some people (Myself included) trying to trade some of these guys, but we need to realize that the team is rebuilding, with more talented players coming in our way in the future, guys like Mantha and AA will likely improve.

Guys will get pushed down to a proper spot in the line up once high end talent gets here. If the wings draft Hughes and Larkin becomes the second line center, you have Hughes scoring 80 points on the first line with Larkin getting easier matchups with a guy like Mantha on his line. Right now teams are trying to stpo Mantha and hes still on pace for 25 goals. When hes not a top 2 or 3 focus for another team he'll be really good I think. Hes a solid top 6 player.

I think Kadri is a good example of this. Hes a legit top 6 player but got pushed down the line up when Matthews was drafted into a proper spot for him. He was solid before but now Matthews is good enough to win first line battles with Kadri down the line up coming off back to back 30 goal seasons. The Leafs werent good with him but he was s olid player. Now hes a really good player in his role with talent ahead of him.

Lots of Leaf fans wanted him gone too because when they were bad he wasnt quite good enough to pull them out of it but good enough to have trade value. I mean for the right player I would trade AA or Mantha (Trouba) but its not a must trade/sell low situation

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Irony must be a foreign concept.

And he and AA have scored goals at the same clip over the course of their careers. And Mantha has 3 less points in 30 less games. So if Mantha is a bust AA is a bust too.
AA wasn't a first round pick.... over 100 players were drafted before him

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Maybe make an AA thread.

Bust is a subjective word that is hard to define, much like elite. I think he'll peak at 40 goals for 3-5 seasons and taper off.

His skating is night and day since getting some power skating lessons. I'll take more of those for him please.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Maybe make an AA thread.

Bust is a subjective word that is hard to define, much like elite. I think he'll peak at 40 goals for 3-5 seasons and taper off.

His skating is night and day since getting some power skating lessons. I'll take more of those for him please.

I think he shouldn’t fight. I think he’d be a lock for 30 goals this season. But injuries to the arms, shoulders or legs are hard to come back from for goal scorers.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Maybe make an AA thread.

No.
He was projected to be a first round pick and his attitude problems dropped him. He’s definitely a bust.
Lies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think he shouldn’t fight. I think he’d be a lock for 30 goals this season. But injuries to the arms, shoulders or legs are hard to come back from for goal scorers.
A lock? No way. He goes invisible before and after injuries. That's why the wings were so disappointed in him a few years ago. He has a low motor.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A lock? No way. He goes invisible before and after injuries. That's why the wings were so disappointed in him a few years ago. He has a low motor.

Even missing weeks of the season he's still on pace to score at least 20 goals. Coming back from a hand injury as someone who lives off his wrist shot is hard, because a wrist shot is all about dexterity.

No.

Lies.

Yeah, except here's a contemporaneous reporting that says that exact thing:

NHL Draft Prospect Profile #50: Andreas Athanasiou - Last Word on Sports

Here's Bleacher Report's 2012 mid season mock draft that had him going in the first round: 2012 NHL Mock Draft: Predicting All 30 First-Round Selections

Here's a beginning of 2011-2012 season prediction he'd go top 15: https://thehockeywriters.com/an-early-season-2012-nhl-mock-draft-selections-1-15/

Another mock draft that had him at 16: 2012 NHL Mock Draft: Predicting All 30 First Round Picks

And another report confirming it: HockeyBuzz.com - Eric Smith - 20 NHL Draft Prospects In 20 Days - Andreas Athanasiou

Here's a mock draft featured on NHL.com that has him top 10: Steven Hoffner's 2012 Mock Draft Part IV | NHL.com - 2012 NHL Draft

Here he is again on the hockey writers in the the second half of the first round: https://thehockeywriters.com/a-march-2012-nhl-mock-draft-picks-16-30/

And a report from Yahoo saying he projected to be a first round draft pick: Draft tracker: 5 questions with Andreas Athanasiou, London Knights

I have many many more if you still think its lies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Even missing weeks of the season he's still on pace to score at least 20 goals. Coming back from a hand injury as someone who lives off his wrist shot is hard, because a wrist shot is all about dexterity.

Yeah, except here's a contemporaneous reporting that says that exact thing:

NHL Draft Prospect Profile #50: Andreas Athanasiou - Last Word on Sports

Here's Bleacher Report's 2012 mid season mock draft that had him going in the first round: 2012 NHL Mock Draft: Predicting All 30 First-Round Selections

Here's a beginning of 2011-2012 season prediction he'd go top 15: An Early Season 2012 NHL Mock Draft (Selections 1-15)

Another mock draft that had him at 16: 2012 NHL Mock Draft: Predicting All 30 First Round Picks

And another report confirming it: HockeyBuzz.com - Eric Smith - 20 NHL Draft Prospects In 20 Days - Andreas Athanasiou

Here's a mock draft featured on NHL.com that has him top 10: Steven Hoffner's 2012 Mock Draft Part IV | NHL.com - 2012 NHL Draft

Here he is again on the hockey writers in the the second half of the first round: https://thehockeywriters.com/a-march-2012-nhl-mock-draft-picks-16-30/

And a report from Yahoo saying he projected to be a first round draft pick: Draft tracker: 5 questions with Andreas Athanasiou, London Knights

I have many many more if you still think its lies.
Good investigative journalism. I was right were are so very lucky to have him in the 4th round. Didnt see his attitude dropped his draft tho.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Great post mate.

Mantha and AA both strike me as 5th forwards in a good top 6 lineup. Neither guy is going to drive an elite line, but both could be key contributors if paired with elite players who they compliment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad