Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
For example, Blash talks about Mantha's role as a net front player and how though it may not be the first option Mantha would desire such as his natural spot at the circles, and how it is important to embrace it. When you and I have jobs in the real world it is important to branch out and learn different skills to help toward your end goal. I feel like Blash putting Mantha in a net front position is his way of doing this. It is a great opportunity for Mantha to learn how to dictate and impact the game in a different way for the future. Its harder to stop a player with a diverse skill set.

To me this is an example of Trash not using his players to the best of their abilities. Trash already tried this experiment of Mantha as the net front presence in the AHL, the results were meh at best. Now he is trying it again, but this time at the NHL level.... good luck with that. Put Mantha in a shooting position, let him gain his confidence and stop with this horrible experiment. Only thing Mantha should be learning/getting use to now is defense at the NHL level, not trying to redefine his scoring ability.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on Mantha.

He just never seems very dangerous to me. For all the talent that he has, I'm starting to have trouble seeing the 30/30 winger we envisioned him to be.

I see a perimeter winger who for the most part is a passenger on his line. I still see a ton of value in that role, especially in terms of possession. But a dominant scoring force? He can barely score in a season where everyone and their grandma is producing.

Maybe Larkin set the standard too high, but Mantha just doesn't excite me.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

He just never seems very dangerous to me. For all the talent that he has, I'm starting to have trouble seeing the 30/30 winger we envisioned him to be.

I see a perimeter winger who for the most part is a passenger on his line. I still see a ton of value in that role, especially in terms of possession. But a dominant scoring force? He can barely score in a season where everyone and their grandma is producing.

Well, if he wants to excite me more, he can start with shooting the puck.

Reactions: mantha39

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I mean he's not really that far off being that right now

his career goals/assists pace over 82 games excluding his 10 game rookie year is 24/23,a better powerplay could almost make up the difference in those numbers by itself

in any case I really want to see what he can do under someone other than Blashill before reading too much into what he is,he's barely ever played under anyone else as a pro(even half his AHL time was spent with him)

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

When Mantha was drafted, some suggested that his potential may be Johan Franzen. I'm now starting to believe this, because some games Mantha looks like a star, and many other games he just disappears. This was pretty much how Franzen was.

On a better team, I think Mantha is capable of being a 20-30 goal / 50-60 point player on regular basis, and he may have a year or two where he'll exceed these expectations, but overall I agree with Bob McKenzie when he said that his compete level is not that high.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Every time he had fight his game goes no good. He got easily intimidated. Last year he said he will take boxing classes, but he didn't. The only problem he has it is mental and I don't know if he can fix it. To bad he has everything to be great player

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
When Mantha was drafted, some suggested that his potential may be Johan Franzen. I'm now starting to believe this, because some games Mantha looks like a star, and many other games he just disappears. This was pretty much how Franzen was.

On a better team, I think Mantha is capable of being a 20-30 goal / 50-60 point player on regular basis, and he may have a year or two where he'll exceed these expectations, but overall I agree with Bob McKenzie when he said that his compete level is not that high.

I think this is an incredibly wrong comparison. I was no fan of post breakout Franzen mostly because of his deal and injury history, but, Mantha hasn't shown anything that Franzen did when he wasn't scoring. I think people are very quick to forget that Franzen wasn't some slouch who when he wasn't scoring was completely useless. He broke into this league on the back of his ability to be pretty good defensively and his ability to muck it out. Mantha, unless he's on, is very much a floater/perimeter player.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

If Mantha turns into Franzen I'd be ecstatic. Unfortunately he's not close right now. Prime Franzen was a freak.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think this is an incredibly wrong comparison. I was no fan of post breakout Franzen mostly because of his deal and injury history, but, Mantha hasn't shown anything that Franzen did when he wasn't scoring. I think people are very quick to forget that Franzen wasn't some slouch who when he wasn't scoring was completely useless. He broke into this league on the back of his ability to be pretty good defensively and his ability to muck it out. Mantha, unless he's on, is very much a floater/perimeter player.

You're mistaken Franzen of the early years with the Franzen of the latter years. When he broke into the league, he was not meant to be anything more than a bottom-6 depth guy, and he surely was just that, working very hard and playing excellent defensive hockey. Then somewhere along the lines he evolved into this offensive player that goes on incredible superstar streaks. In this part of his career, when he was on, he was usually the best player on the ice, but for most part, he floated.

Reactions: mantha39

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You're mistaken Franzen of the early years with the Franzen of the latter years. When he broke into the league, he was not meant to be anything more than a bottom-6 depth guy, and he surely was just that, working very hard and playing excellent defensive hockey. Then somewhere along the lines he evolved into this offensive player that goes on incredible superstar streaks. In this part of his career, when he was on, he was usually the best player on the ice, but for most part, he floated.

His floating happened more after his second head injury. I’d be less likely to go to the dirty areas after a head injury too.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
Would anyone here move Mantha for Travis Konecny from Philly? I’m not sure if Philly would do that deal but I feel like maybe there could be some interest there.

Thoughts?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Would anyone here move Mantha for Travis Konecny from Philly? I’m not sure if Philly would do that deal but I feel like maybe there could be some interest there.

Thoughts?
Philly wouldn’t even give an answer before they hung up the phone.

Reactions: LazyT

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
Philly wouldn’t even give an answer before they hung up the phone.
That’s what I was wondering, I don’t really know their team needs too much. Thanks for the input! Would us adding something get it close to be realistic? I really like Konecny’s game

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

The only way he's going to become a 30 goal guy in the NHL is if he commits to being a net front presence. He probably doesn't have the stones for that role so he'll probably end up being a 20-25 goal guy. I don't say that as a criticism as very few players can embrace that role. Homer and Mule did and they both had very successful NHL careers. Mantha simply doesn't have the drive to play that sort of game. Again, it's not said as a criticism, just an acknowledgement of reality.

I've been pushing for trading him for a few years now. He's a nice guy but he is what he is and it's highly unlikely he ever grows beyond the player he is right now.

Reactions: LazyT and lilidk

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
The only way he's going to become a 30 goal guy in the NHL is if he commits to being a net front presence. He probably doesn't have the stones for that role so he'll probably end up being a 20-25 goal guy. I don't say that as a criticism as very few players can embrace that role. Homer and Mule did and they both had very successful NHL careers. Mantha simply doesn't have the drive to play that sort of game. Again, it's not said as a criticism, just an acknowledgement of reality.

I've been pushing for trading him for a few years now. He's a nice guy but he is what he is and it's highly unlikely he ever grows beyond the player he is right now.

I’m fully on board with trading Mantha, he has all the tools but lacks the elbow grease and drive to use them all. He’s 6’5 and softer than baby-poo. It’s so frustrating watching a guy be so big and so soft. If Mantha has the work ethic of Glen-dawg Mantha would be a force in the mold of Wheeler. I hope we trade him at the draft tbh

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I’m fully on board with trading Mantha, he has all the tools but lacks the elbow grease and drive to use them all. He’s 6’5 and softer than baby-poo. It’s so frustrating watching a guy be so big and so soft. If Mantha has the work ethic of Glen-dawg Mantha would be a force in the mold of Wheeler. I hope we trade him at the draft tbh

Literally the worst idea possible to trade Mantha right now. He is at the bottom of is potential value. Better to try to ride this out, and see if he can turn the corner.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->