Player Discussion: Martin Jones

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So what do you do with Jones? Buy him out and let his cap hit rot for the next decade? No one is touching that contract even at 50% retained so I’m not sure what options you have. Just know you can’t go into next year with Jones on the roster at this point. Perfect example of why you don’t give long term deals to volatile guys like non-elite goalies. It’s like giving a reliever in baseball a 3+ year deal. You don’t do it unless they’re elite. DW is going to kick himself in the pants over this one for a long time.
Before this series, I was thinking they give him next year to figure out, before this game maybe they give him a month. Now I don't know if you can go into next year with him at all

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
So, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but can I bring up a point that folks maybe haven't mentioned yet? Have folks noticed that Martin Jones is not a good goalie?

Reactions: Bleedred

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I've disliked so many players the Sharks have had in the past...I've disliked so many players around the league.

Jones tops the list.

If he dodges reporters after the game...

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
He's a Kings plant. He waited until we gave him a 6 year contract before showing his true colors. I can't believe we gave up a 1st rounder for an unproven goalie. If we still had Strelow or a competent goalie coach we could develop our own and not have to go out and trade for one.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I guy called Greg Balloch is apparently saying that Jones went into the season wanting to completely change his game to rely more on instincts vs. positioning/technique. That's what has ruined his game.

In a more sanguinary thought, someone once called Jones a Viking, and I'm thinking he should be given the traditional blood eagle treatment.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Before this series, I was thinking they give him next year to figure out, before this game maybe they give him a month. Now I don't know if you can go into next year with him at all
No choice. Have to hope there's two amnesty buyouts with the next CBA (there should be at least one) and get both him and Vlasic outta here. If they could accept Vlasic as a bottom pairing guy, I'd buy out Jones. If Vlasic being here means he's gotta be used on the top pairing or top 4, I'd probably buy him out. Jones could bounce back next year, but I don't expect him to be better than average, unless it's a career year that won't be the norm or even repeated.

So, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but can I bring up a point that folks maybe haven't mentioned yet? Have folks noticed that Martin Jones is not a good goalie?
I bought it up 4595849584958 times, but what's another few times?

I've disliked so many players the Sharks have had in the past...I've disliked so many players around the league.

Jones tops the list.

I don't read the athletic, but has Kurz called him out on his bullshit play anywhere other than twitter?

6 more years at 5.75mil.

Yeah, we're ****ed.
Only 5 more years.

But still pretty disgusting.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also, I've always found myself to be a pretty poor evaluator of talent by the eye test, so I want to pat myself on the back for this post from pre-season:

When I step back and take a look at the cold hard numbers, I find myself mostly “meh” on Jones. He posts league average or slightly better than average numbers in the regular season, and posts strong numbers in the playoffs. His contract is pricey but it’s also about 12th in be NHL so it’s like, whatever. Not a big deal.

But when I watch him, I’m just like “man, this guy sucks.” It’s just honestly how I feel. I look back at the numbers, and I use my best logic, and I feel like “yeah, this guy is good. He’s not great, nothing crazy, but he’s good.” And after an entire summer of not watching hockey, I find myself feeling like he’s a pretty solid goalie on a decent contract that might be a marginal overpayment. But I watch Jones and I remember that my honest feeling on him is that he sucks. It’s just how my gut feels about Jones. Maybe it’s not right but I have absolutely no confidence in Jones and my brain just tells me “this guy sucks”.

Do any of you feel the same way? Like Jones’ numbers are satisfactory at worst but you watch him and just feel like he sucks?

Also, that was an incredible play by Hertl.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can somebody who actually knows how to embed twitter quotes post what Kurz just posted in regards to Jones availability during the post game?

''Martin Jones not available postgame because team “couldn’t find him” per spokesman and had to get DeBoer to the podium. OK then.''

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also, I've always found myself to be a pretty poor evaluator of talent by the eye test, so I want to pat myself on the back for this post:
I don't even think he has physical limitations. I think he's just dumb.

Just a very dumb goalie with little to no IQ.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I guy called Greg Balloch is apparently saying that Jones went into the season wanting to completely change his game to rely more on instincts vs. positioning/technique. That's what has ruined his game.

In a more sanguinary thought, someone once called Jones a Viking, and I'm thinking he should be given the traditional blood eagle treatment.

Well that choice was a whiff. His instincts are terrible, his positioning is worse than some high school goalies, and his lateral movement is atrocious.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A good goalie doesn't get screened so often on that first goal.

I've deemed that stoppable multiple times this year and I've had to hear ''Well, he was screened''. Most of the goalies around the league aren't getting screened on that goal as much as a guy like Jones is.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Honestly, why are we even talking about Jones anymore? He’s so bad that he doesn’t even warrant attention anymore. We’ve rehashed and rehashed everything we can about him. He’s not worth talking about.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Jones tops the list.

He did it. He dodged the reporters....spineless, feckless coward. Maybe the Sharks can use him as the in-arena castrato.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm hoping for a retirement announcement. "I have lost my love for the game" then goes back home to Russia.

He was probably going to the sports bookie to pick up his payout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad