Player Discussion: Adam Gaudette (#882)

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@Jarsh019: wooo just drafted!! RT @Hockey_Gaud @theThowShow the only thing I hate more than a Canadian is a... Nope hate Canucks the most

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
"Jun 26, 2015, 5:00a" The Braintree, Mass. native really stood out at the Beantown Summer Classic and then again at the USHL Atlantic Challenge. He was active in the offensive zone, won a lot of battles for loose pucks and had a quick, hard release. Mark Carlson, his coach in Cedar Rapids, believes Gaudette will become even more of a threat once he bulks up.

"His upside is very high. Once he adds more muscle to his frame, he'll be able to get to the net more and win more puck battles," explained Carlson.

Gaudette, who finished the season with 13 goals and 17 assists in 50 USHL games for Mark Carlson's team, made a sharp climb from the midterm to final rankings. He was ranked 187 by NHL Central Scouting at the midterm before soaring to 108 in the final listing.

Perhaps most impressive was his +23 plus/minus, a remarkable number for a rookie in the USHL. Gaudette was a player that Carlson felt comfortable rolling out onto the ice in all situations.

"His +/- was exceptional. He was dependable. His hockey sense is very good at both ends of the rink," said Carlson, who also raved about his exceptional work ethic. "He just gets after it."

Gaudette was originally slated as a 2016-17 recruit for Northeastern, but with the recent departure of Mike Szmatula from the Huskies program, he could be brought in early. Gaudette is a good prospect who will likely be given the chance to grow in college hockey before signing a deal.

----
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...stern-recruit-adam-gaudette-cedar-rapids-ushl

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Doesn't Craig make his list as to where he feels players will be drafted and not necessarily their actual ranking?

The opposite of that.

Button's lists are who he sees being the "best players 5 years from now", and have nothing at all to do with where he expects them to be drafted.

Which makes it kind of curious that he's so high on Button's list. Either Button is completely out to lunch on this guy (entirely possible :laugh:), or there's something he's seeing there that obviously our scouts also latched onto. If there's one thing Button actually does...it's legitimately watch prospects.

I don't really know what to make of this pick. Not a big fan on the surface, but then i don't really know anything about this guy so...who knows.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ugh. Not a fan of that path—we won't see this kid for years and years.

As opposed to most 5th round picks that we'd be likely to see immediately? :laugh:

I mean, 5th round picks are going to be a project that takes some number of years anyway. Ideally you'd probably like to see him jump to NCAA sooner, but if that means an extra year of development in a more prominent USHL role for a seemingly very raw prospect so he's more prepared to move to the college game as more than just a guy who ends up buried on a depth chart, i don't see a problem with that. The USHL is still a decent enough league and he's clearly still got room to grow there.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
As opposed to most 5th round picks that we'd be likely to see immediately? :laugh:

I mean, 5th round picks are going to be a project that takes some number of years anyway. Ideally you'd probably like to see him jump to NCAA sooner, but if that means an extra year of development in a more prominent USHL role for a seemingly very raw prospect so he's more prepared to move to the college game as more than just a guy who ends up buried on a depth chart, i don't see a problem with that. The USHL is still a decent enough league and he's clearly still got room to grow there.

I just prefer the CHL route where the players can be signed to ELCs at anytime. NCAA allows him to loophole his way out and string us along for 4-5 years (McNally).

We won't be seeing any of the 2015 draftees until 2+ years later. Even Boesner is going to college for at least 2 years. Getting that degree is important.

True, but where are you going and getting a degree in two years of school..?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
@Jarsh019: wooo just drafted!! RT @Hockey_Gaud @theThowShow the only thing I hate more than a Canadian is a... Nope hate Canucks the most

He grew up a Bruins fan.
Plus...
That tweet is about 9 months old.
I am sure he is more than happy to be drafted now.
His mom's expression says it all.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I just prefer the CHL route where the players can be signed to ELCs at anytime. NCAA allows him to loophole his way out and string us along for 4-5 years (McNally).

True, but where are you going and getting a degree in two years of school..?

Not a big deal to me. I mean, we've only see a handful of NCAA players use that route.

Schultz and Reilly. And both guys needed the development time in the NCAA to improve their game. Brock needs some time at ND, but he doesn't need 4 years. The other 2 needed more time. Brock, likely needs 2 years and then he will be NHL ready. I don't read too much into the Degree comment. He'll put in 2 years and get 1/2 way to his degree. I've heard of some football players who completed their degree in 3 years, but granted, their seasons don't last as long as hockey, so they get to load up on courses in the Spring and Summer semesters.

Looking back on it, for Schultz, might not have been the best move. Financially, he is doing fine. But, given how well the other Ducks Dmen have developed like Fowler, Vatenen, and Lindholm in their system, you can't help but wonder what his game could have been now playing with them for the past 3 seasons.

As for Reilly, pretty solid decision to sign with Minny. Hometown, and gets to develop and learn under a superstar Dman in Suter and a young stud blue liner in Brodin. He would be competing for 3rd pairing duties, since the Wild also have Scandella, Dumba, Spurgeon.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Not a big deal to me. I mean, we've only see a handful of NCAA players use that route.

Schultz and Reilly. And both guys needed the development time in the NCAA to improve their game. Brock needs some time at ND, but he doesn't need 4 years. The other 2 needed more time. Brock, likely needs 2 years and then he will be NHL ready. I don't read too much into the Degree comment. He'll put in 2 years and get 1/2 way to his degree. I've heard of some football players who completed their degree in 3 years, but granted, their seasons don't last as long as hockey, so they get to load up on courses in the Spring and Summer semesters.

Looking back on it, for Schultz, might not have been the best move. Financially, he is doing fine. But, given how well the other Ducks Dmen have developed like Fowler, Vatenen, and Lindholm in their system, you can't help but wonder what his game could have been now playing with them for the past 3 seasons.

As for Reilly, pretty solid decision to sign with Minny. Hometown, and gets to develop and learn under a superstar Dman in Suter and a young stud blue liner in Brodin. He would be competing for 3rd pairing duties, since the Wild also have Scandella, Dumba, Spurgeon.

Or being on a pairing with Dan Hamhuis. As he was choosing between us and the oilers.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
He grew up a Bruins fan.
Plus...
That tweet is about 9 months old.
I am sure he is more than happy to be drafted now.
His mom's expression says it all.

Problem is with the NCAA route, there is a decent chance he elects to sign whereever he wants at the end of his development. Personally i would rather draft russians over NCAA players at this point (i would go as far as listening to offers for the #2 overall pick just to avoid NCAA route). Thats why i haven't even really followed Demko because it seems kinda pointless to follow someone who we might not be able to sign when its time to sign them because they could just decline to sign and wait an extra 2 months to sign wherever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad