Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'd take on Campbell's whole salary to if it's doable, which could be a bit difficult depending on the rest of the plans maybe?

We'd likely have to give some salary back.

Would a Kindl, Pulkkinen, 2014 1st make sense for either side? Is he worth our 1st? Is there any chance of getting him without a 1st?

It sounds like Stralman might be staying in NY, which sucks if you potentially had the space and ability to do something like:

Campbell for Smith, Kindl, and (prospect/pick)

Then sign Stralman in FA

That would be the ideal situation to immediately upgrade the blueline in a huge way.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Probably would be something like

Campbell-Dekeyser
Kronwall-Ericsson
kid-Smith

So, basically, they'd have two pairings they'd probably alternate as "top pairings" and a third consisting of Brendan Smith and likely a defensively inclined kid (Ouellet?)

This would put an offensive D and a defensive D on every pairing... and you could have Campbell-Winger on 1st PP and Kronwall-Smith/Dekeyser on the 2nd.

They are adamant about adding a RH shot...if they can't find one via free agency or trade they will probably promote one from within. They will probably do everything they can to not go into next year with 3 lefties playing RD.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'd take on Campbell's whole salary to if it's doable, which could be a bit difficult depending on the rest of the plans maybe?

We'd likely have to give some salary back.

Would a Kindl, Pulkkinen, 2014 1st make sense for either side? Is he worth our 1st? Is there any chance of getting him without a 1st?

It sounds like Stralman might be staying in NY, which sucks if you potentially had the space and ability to do something like:

Campbell for Smith, Kindl, and (prospect/pick)

Then sign Stralman in FA

That would be the ideal situation to immediately upgrade the blueline in a huge way.

Not sure we'd be able to afford Stralman and Campbell at full value. That'd be adding close to $12.5M in cap space.

I also don't think Florida would have any problem eating 10-20% of Campbell's contract if it meant a better return.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Never been a big fan of Campbell, wouldn't pay assets for him when we could possibly sign Boyle for free. They are similar enough (puck moving offensive D-men who aren't great defensively and are roughly the same size) but at least Boyle is a righty.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Never been a big fan of Campbell, wouldn't pay assets for him when we could possibly sign Boyle for free. They are similar enough (puck moving offensive D-men who aren't great defensively and are roughly the same size) but at least Boyle is a righty.

boyle is #5, maybe #4, campbell is top pairing guy.

We don't need Campbell. I'd rather have someone with a right handed shot.

How about Stralman, Robidas or Niskanen?

robidas can't be counted onto be contributor after breaking his leg twice last season and strålman and nisky might not make it to UFA. price will be heavy if they will.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
No chance I would add any serious assets in a deal for Campbell.

A small, 35 year old, left handed defenseman who is currently overpaid.

If they eat 1M-1.5M of his contract and take on Kindl's contract... I might be inclined to part with a 2015 2nd round pick and a nothing prospect that Florida for some reason maybe likes. (Tvrdon, De Haas, Ferraro ect.)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

campbell plays like 27 mins a game still in all situations and moves the puck as well if not better then boyle can at this stage

he skates better

he is younger

2 years out of campbell wouldnt be bad

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@DFriedmanOnNYI
Dan Boyle will not be signing with the Islanders.

@Real_ESPNLebrun
Isles GM Garth Snow says he's now shopping Dan Boyle's rights, having been unable to sign the pending UFA defenseman...

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would want Boyle that much. (Cue Holland trading for Boyle's rights.) But in all seriousness, the interview period is a week away. You could basically call Boyle right away on the 25th, pitch him a deal, and tell him you want the chance to match any other offer than comes his way. Sure, he'd be fielding other "offers", but you'd have a week to see if you could convince him to come your way and if he doesn't in the end, then he probably wouldn't have signed with you if you had traded for his rights in the first place.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Obviously Nashville wouldnt trade Jones away for cheap, he has potential, and is a controllable asset. Would anyone else be interested in making an offer for the kid. I believe he would be a perfect fit for our blue line.

Assuming Nashville would listen to offers, how much would you offer for him?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
They are adamant about adding a RH shot...if they can't find one via free agency or trade they will probably promote one from within. They will probably do everything they can to not go into next year with 3 lefties playing RD.

Fair enough, but then why do we keep hearing about the Wings' interest in Edler?

I'd actually go out on a limb here and say center the deal around Ericsson + for Campbell at 0-20% retained, then instead of targeting a PMD during free agency, you're targeting a stay-at-home/PKing type, which are more prolific and cheaper. Fayne, as a righty and at his age, would be ideal.

Also, people tend to forget that Campbell is a solid PKer.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Obviously Nashville wouldnt trade Jones away for cheap, he has potential, and is a controllable asset. Would anyone else be interested in making an offer for the kid. I believe he would be a perfect fit for our blue line.

Assuming Nashville would listen to offers, how much would you offer for him?

Nothing. You'd be paying for Jones ceiling as a defenseman and not what he actually becomes.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You should have stopped here.:laugh:

Well with Weber and Josi around for the long haul, the emergence of Ellis as a legit pp option and the trade for Del Zotto you'd think they would at least listen to offers that include young top-6 forwards/guys with top line potential.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well with Weber and Josi around for the long haul, the emergence of Ellis as a legit pp option and the trade for Del Zotto you'd think they would at least listen to offers that include young top-6 forwards/guys with top line potential.

They would trade almost any of those other guys before they'd dream of trading Jones.

Jones has Weber upside without a Weber contract. Josi would either stay a Pred on a sweet deal or swing for lots of assets. Ellis would be traded 1000 out of 10 times before Seth Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad