Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
And our fanbase was saying he was better than Howard. Like Pepperidge Farms, I remember.

As for Thornton or Marleau, both players would signal the ultimate WIN NOW scenario. I'm fine with that, for the record. I think the Wings need to maximize the next 3 year window, aka the Datsyuk window.

You're going to get a lot of resistance, though. Going back would be something like a 1st, Tatar, and Sproul... at least. Folks weren't thrilled with Kesler turning 30, so a couple of 35-year-olds aren't likely going to be a popular target when you'd have to move young, NHL ready pieces in return.

I feel like if we have to give up Tatar + 15th overall + [one of our better D prospects] for one of Thornton or Marleau, might as well add another 1st and another prospect and maybe something else? to get both with salary retained.

edit: this is also known as the "xbox deluxe"

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know they are old, but the Sharks should still rightfully ask for a massive package. Thornton and Marleau would be the two biggest trade assets on the market. Also lost in this is those players control it to some degree, much like Iginla picked the Penguins should a reasonable offer show up from a place they want to play, well they can hunker down and make that happen.

Not sure either guy would waive for here at this stage in their career. But Thornton is still a very good hockey player, depending on the roster pieces given up and what the D looks like we could be big time contenders. He fixes out PP and gone are the days of can you play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together. Still from a long-term franchise view-point I am against this move. But for the throw down one last time and hope for Datsyuk crowd, this is that desperation move, it could come up short but it is a massive play if they were to go after it.

I don't think Ouellet/Sproul (I think they will want Sproul), Tatar and 1st gets it done if this really is a bidding war. They are old, but they don't miss a lot of time, don't appear to be breaking down and have a lot of value in front offices where age isn't harped on as much as it is around here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I say this with all sincerity that I'd be totally fine swinging for the fences and bringing in both players to create a cap hell and gut some draft picks but a powerhouse offense for the next few years.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Marleau - Thornton - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Weiss
Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

And I realize I just forgot Helm. Assume he's in the deal with Tatar, I guess. Point is, that's two all-star 1st lines. Two!

Xbox Deluxe here we come! :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I say this with all sincerity that I'd be totally fine swinging for the fences and bringing in both players to create a cap hell and gut some draft picks but a powerhouse offense for the next few years.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Marleau - Thornton - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Weiss
Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

And I realize I just forgot Helm. Assume he's in the deal with Tatar, I guess. Point is, that's two all-star 1st lines. Two!

Xbox Deluxe here we come! :laugh:

i would keep tatar and trade nyquist for a top pairing dman.

all in.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think we are on a win-now mode and I also don't think there isn't any kind of yearly window in the near future. We will be a playoff team, and will grow a new generation of Red Wings and see how high we can go. Our prospect core is developing well thanks to Blashill and that will give a boost that could be even bigger force than the regressing impact of our aging star veterans.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Canucks are buying out David Booth and is a hometown boy who I'm sure would love to be a Red Wing. He is still a solid checking fwd IMO and you know the wings love to give guys second chances. Thoughts on giving him a 1 year $1mil deal for 3rd/4th line?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Canucks are buying out David Booth and is a hometown boy who I'm sure would love to be a Red Wing. He is still a solid checking fwd IMO and you know the wings love to give guys second chances. Thoughts on giving him a 1 year $1mil deal for 3rd/4th line?

I really don't know is that made-of-glass-dynamic-duo Booth-Weiss a realgud idea. Of course at 1M there would be almost zero risk, but Booth's toolbox doesn't really give us anything we desperately need or we can't get from our prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really don't know is that made-of-glass-dynamic-duo Booth-Weiss a realgud idea. Of course at 1M there would be almost zero risk, but Booth's toolbox doesn't really give us anything we desperately need or we can't get from our prospects.

At one million bucks I am very interested. His best years were with Weiss and vice-versa. Booth has speed and size but is an injury concern as we all know and hasn't approached being the same player since Mike Richards turned out his lights. Quite frankly a flier on him with both Pulkkinen and Mantha chomping at the bit isn't a bad thing for me. He either gets it right and puts his health together or those kids take his spot. But I have said for a couple years, I think Booth would get it right if he came home and he is at a point where he could be had for very cheap.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan

Meh I mean I hear you but it just seems like it's a Holland move that could be worth exploring. It has worked well in the past. I would be surprised if Kenny doesn't at least kick the tires on him.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Absolutely no reason to give Booth anything more than a camp invite. Haven't exactly had success with bringing in hometown boys Weiss and Legwand, and there is a boatload of young wingers fighting for spots.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Being able to roll

Z/D
Thornton
Weiss/Sheahan
Helm/Glendening

as our Cs could be impressive. Tatar and Ouellet is a bit too steep for me, though.

regarding XO, I think his left handedness could make him expendable. Right now, we have Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Smith who are all lefties. Backman's a lefty. Further down the line we have Wheaten and De Haas. Plus, lefties are generally easier to get through free agency.

Not saying I'd deal for Thornton, but despite being maybe our surest bet, XO also slots into a left side that can be pretty crowded.

If he was right handed, I think there'd be more traction for it. Is he better than Jurco or Mantha? Both those kids could be fighting for a middle6 spot (I know the Wings have said top6 or bust for Mantha), which is probably where Booth would be looking to slot in at. Just because of which hand he shoots from, I think there'd be more interest in a guy like Setoguchi.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
regarding XO, I think his left handedness could make him expendable. Right now, we have Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Smith who are all lefties. Backman's a lefty. Further down the line we have Wheaten and De Haas. Plus, lefties are generally easier to get through free agency.

Not saying I'd deal for Thornton, but despite being maybe our surest bet, XO also slots into a left side that can be pretty crowded.

wheaton is righty. mcnulty is lefty.

edit. looking at pictures, he seems to be lefty, too. whl site and eliteprospects have it wrong.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I am irrationally high on Ouellet, though. I'd move DeKeyser before him.

Brandel*

We won't be landing Thornton and Marleau lol. Won't be surprised if the two of them get dealt; Doug Wilson won't shut up about the Sharks going into a rebuild. I'd love to have Marleau on Datsyuk's wing though haha. Would take a good package to land either, both together and you're going in full win-now mode.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
wheaton is righty. mcnulty is lefty.

edit. looking at pictures, he seems to be lefty, too. whl site and eliteprospects have it wrong.

I was using The Hockey News roster. RWC has Wheaton as a lefty, too.

I am irrationally high on Ouellet, though. I'd move DeKeyser before him.

Depending on the move, I'd be fine with that, too. I think Smith is vulnerable for a similar reason. Moving one of those guys in a deal wouldn't kill us, and would open up a spot for a kid like Marchenko or Sproul.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
**** it.

Thornton and Marleau for Tatar, Ouelett, Pulkkinen,this year's first and Johan Franzen.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Marleau-Thornton-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Weiss-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

#YOLO

:p:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The only way I could see Thornton and only him would be around 2 prospects (1 blue chipper and one good one) and probably our 2015 first rounder. But at the same time it would require that we bought out Weiss right now.

Wouldn't be a bad dream to have but unlikely. Though it would be our best chance of running a 1a 1b line without babs splitting up D and Z. I firmly believe if Weiss doesn't show something (other than being on ltir for 1/2 a year) he gets his ass bought out this coming offseason. The limited time I saw him this year granted he was injured but he seemed to have shades of Modano in him as well (incompatible with how our team runs its offensive system) I hope for the best with him but have next to no faith that he turns it around given that he has always been a textbook dump and grinder trying to fit in a puck possession set up.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Absolutely no reason to give Booth anything more than a camp invite. Haven't exactly had success with bringing in hometown boys Weiss and Legwand, and there is a boatload of young wingers fighting for spots.

Weiss is from Toronto. Booth is a good player if u get him cheap.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
so basically Red Wings want to be storehouse for dumped, waived, washed veterans again...Thorton, Marleau, Boothe, Weiss, Legwand, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Franzen instead of Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Sheahan, Pulkinen, Mantha together on one team

Datsyuk and Zetterberg on verge of their last breath and you all want to trade future assets...howgh long time with no cup in front of Wings fans

why not to bring even Handzus? you should rename on Red Wings geriatrics

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
so basically Red Wings want to be storehouse for dumped, waived, washed veterans again...Thorton, Marleau, Boothe, Weiss, Legwand, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Franzen instead of Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Sheahan, Pulkinen, Mantha together on one team

Datsyuk and Zetterberg on verge of their last breath and you all want to trade future assets...howgh long time with no cup in front of Wings fans

Uh, I'm pretty sure trading for Thornton/Marleau gives us elite depth on the top 2 lines, regardless of their age. We have a plethora of scoring wingers and defensemen in Grand Rapids currently, and nobody has suggested we trade away our entire prospect pool anyway. Your post is pretty irrelevant.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
thornton and marleau are defintiely not washed up. only the euro twins make a case for being better than them.

it's just talk anyway, long offseason. kenny wouldn't do that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Thornton/Marleau do not belong in the same group as Bert/Cleary. Not even close. Hell, they're both younger than Datsyuk. And they've been quite productive in the regular season and the playoffs for a good long while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille