Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Kessel should have been the move Blake made instead of Kovalchuk. Unfortunately at the time, the Penguins may have wanted more future assets than we could provide. Now if they want a shakeup trade with win now pieces coming back its too late, lotta the perceived value of our guys are shot.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kessel should have been the move Blake made instead of Kovalchuk. Unfortunately at the time, the Penguins may have wanted more future assets than we could provide. Now if they want a shakeup trade with win now pieces coming back its too late, lotta the perceived value of our guys are shot.

you nailed the issue with the cost of futures. Kovalchuk only costs cap hit and a roster spot.

Reactions: crassbonanza

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Operating on the premise that the Kings should have been trying to improve the team last offseason (as opposed to starting a rebuild / tank), the only player on the trade market that made sense for the Kings was O'Reilly.

Thankfully they didn't trade for Kessel/O'Reilly/Pacioretty. That would have been a disaster.

Reactions: YP44

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why are people still talking about Kessel. Kings are supposedly trying to get younger not delay the rebuild.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Just made a deal of sorts on the main board and i am wondering what my fellow king fans think ?
Kopitar and 5 oa for 4 oa , 16 ov. Meloche and Bowers We get Bryam or Turcotte and 3 solid young pieces to build around.

Reactions: KINGS17

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Just made a deal of sorts on the main board and i am wondering what my fellow king fans think ?
Kopitar and 5 oa for 4 oa , 16 ov. Meloche and Bowers We get Bryam or Turcotte and 3 solid young pieces to build around.

I don't need to remind everyone that even first round picks are not guarantees. You really need to trust your scouts to find you a 1C while u move your 1C with no immediate replacement.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't need to remind everyone that even first round picks are not guarantees. You really need to trust your scouts to find you a 1C while u move your 1C with no immediate replacement.
Well yes it will hurt to lose Kopitar we have signed Prohorkins who is a top 6 center We also have Carter who can bounce back and give us minutes up the middle. If they bounce back wonderful if they don't we tank for more young players To me its a win win. Also we gain 10 million in cap win win win to me.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Well yes it will hurt to lose Kopitar we have signed Prohorkins who is a top 6 center We also have Carter who can bounce back and give us minutes up the middle. If they bounce back wonderful if they don't we tank for more young players To me its a win win. Also we gain 10 million in cap win win win to me.

Having Carter or Prokhorkin as your number 1C doesn't sound like a wining formula to me. The way I see it, we have 5 years or less to find Kopi's replacement. When that day comes we can move him.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Having Carter or Prokhorkin as your number 1C doesn't sound like a wining formula to me. The way I see it, we have 5 years or less to find Kopi's replacement. When that day comes we can move him.
4 young pieces and 10 million in cap space is greater then our need for Kopitar imo. Lets not forget Anderson Dolan , vilardi and Kupari are all close to playing. Not often me and kings17 can agree on something and it seems he does by liking my post. If we can sell high on Kopitar we should and this is selling high.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
4 young pieces and 10 million in cap space is greater then our need for Kopitar imo. Lets not forget Anderson Dolan , vilardi and Kupari are all close to playing. Not often me and kings17 can agree on something and it seems he does by liking my post. If we can sell high on Kopitar we should and this is selling high.

One young piece we would be getting already with our pick. Seems a little meh to me, selling Kopitar on a down year. We got Durzi, Grundstrom and a late first for Muzzin, which seems nearish in value to what you are getting for Kopitar.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005

Ok so here is another angle.... pretend I am the AVs GM;

We take on 10 million in cap, give none back.
We lose out on Turcotte\Byram
We lose our other 1st round pick #16
We give up 2 decent prospects.

I do this because..... fill in the blank

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
One young piece we would be getting already with our pick. Seems a little meh to me, selling Kopitar on a down year. We got Durzi, Grundstrom and a late first for Muzzin, which seems nearish in value to what you are getting for Kopitar.[/QUOTE

Not really because we wouldn't be getting Byram or Turcotte at 5 without the trade imo.
Also getting pick 16 allows us another young piece Arthur Kaliyev .Thomas Harley or Tomasino.
I also believe Meloshe will turn into a very good 2nd pairing defenseman Something this team has missed badly since Slava The 10 million in cap space can turn into some useful stop gaps till pieces are ready

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I gain an elite all situations player who plays some of the biggest minutes in the league. Imagining Kopitar as a 2C is unreal.

There are obviously reasons they wouldn't do it either, just as there are reasons I wouldn't, but it's not without thought.

For us, we're overrating "cap space" again, and praying on the upside of two nice-but-not-blue chip prospects as well as two other mystery boxes. However, such a trade would have the upside of ensuring we tank for another couple of years too, so there's that.

Edit; actually having that mid first is nice, forgot we have the late first on top of that, so could use both picks or package them, lotta flexbility there. Walking out of the first round with 4, 16, 22 could be a facelift orrrrr could be Tambellini and Boyle all over again.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Kopitar is a perfect 2 c for 4-5 years till whoever i pick at 4 (dach) is ready and we contain for a cup

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

That is a horrible deal for both teams.

The Kings won't trade Kopitar just to move up 1 spot and pick up scrap pieces. While the Kings are looking to decrease the age of the team; they are NOT looking completely dismantled the team. If you trade Kopitar then the other veterans will ask to leave. Blake already said the Kings will need to be better at 2nd line Center this season. Making a move like this would kill the whole Center depth which is not of the plan. If you trade Kopitar or any of the big names, you must get something of value back (while not attaching the 5th OA with them).

Colorado while making the playoffs and having a good run are still young and not ready to spend to win. They will use the free pick (4th OA from Ottawa) to grow their depth, so when they are ready to challenge for a cup (1-2 years away); they can have pieces to offer. And if they are really looking for a #2C, they can just use the 16th OA as a trade piece to get back someone less expensive than Kopitar.

No ones going to make these big moves in this salary cap world now. The big trades from yesteryear are dead. Let's just get used to the fact that we won't see any big moves this offseason. Just small ones like Martinez, Lewis, Forbort or Toffoli (less likely) being moved.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Kopitar is a perfect 2 c for 4-5 years till whoever i pick at 4 (dach) is ready and we contain for a cup

Ok so why trade Kopitar and the 5th then? We can get Dach at 5, let him develop and move Kopitar with less term in 2-3 years. None one will take a 10 million dollar 2C (5 years left) without sending salary back.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I gain an elite all situations player who plays some of the biggest minutes in the league. Imagining Kopitar as a 2C is unreal.

There are obviously reasons they wouldn't do it either, just as there are reasons I wouldn't, but it's not without thought.

For us, we're overrating "cap space" again, and praying on the upside of two nice-but-not-blue chip prospects as well as two other mystery boxes. However, such a trade would have the upside of ensuring we tank for another couple of years too, so there's that.

Edit; actually having that mid first is nice, forgot we have the late first on top of that, so could use both picks or package them, lotta flexbility there. Walking out of the first round with 4, 16, 22 could be a facelift orrrrr could be Tambellini and Boyle all over again.

We shouldn't make a trade to fix potholes while creating a crater.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Ok so why trade Kopitar and the 5th then? We can get Dach at 5, let him develop and move Kopitar with less term in 2-3 years. None one will take a 10 million dollar 2C (5 years left) without sending salary back.
I feel dach is a step down from Turcotte or Byram that simple. Also adding the 16th pick u can get another top end forward. Hey even if we had to take a short term dump with it i would be ok. With this trade i feel rebuild will be a year or 2 faster depending on the 2 young players. They hit i feel we will be a lot younger and faster thee more young pieces we have the better /faster we rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad