Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I completely agree. I honestly think that late 1sts are a bit overrated because what he says is correct. I just thought it was funny that he used two examples of players you can't find outside of the top 10 and one of them was actually drafted outside of the top 10.

Rantanen fell to 10 as well. I guess this year's version of that could very well be Podkolzin?

Reactions: crassbonanza

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I completely agree. I honestly think that late 1sts are a bit overrated because what he says is correct. I just thought it was funny that he used two examples of players you can't find outside of the top 10 and one of them was actually drafted outside of the top 10.
The only reason Kopitar fell outside the top 10 in his draft year was due to the scouting not being as good in those days. I don't think he would fall outside the top 10 if he was drafted now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The cap ceiling keeps going up, and Kopitar and Doughty combine for 25% of the Kings' cap next season, based on a projected $83M cap. Chicago also has 25% tied towards Kane and Toews.

Nashville is spending 20% of its cap on Ryan Johansen and P.K. Subban. The Caps have 21% of their cap consumed by Ovechkin and Carlson. Sharks are at 19% with Couture and Burns.

It seems to be the norm for the top two players on most teams to consume 20% or more of a team's cap space. Go down the list, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Toronto, etc. they're all spending top dollars on their top guys, and they're be getting paid like Kopitar and Doughty when they're at their same age.

And with virtually no prospects on the horizon to replace those names, expect Kopitar and Doughty to remain with the team for the foreseeable future.

Probably true, but why must they be replaced with players of equal talent at this time? Without them the Kings are going nowhere, with them the Kings are going nowhere.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
You forgot "in my opinon." Not everyone is as willing to turf both guys as some are, and at least to me, they're worth more to the Kings than the assets they'd receive in a trade, i.e. the 'window' to trade is irrelevant since Kopitar shouldn't ever be traded AND there's an NTC at play. Kopitar to a much different degree than Carter, of course. You've made it pretty evident that Kopitar's mere existence in LA after 2014 is pointless for you but you have to at least be able to concede there are other opinions.

EVERY post anywhere is the poster's "opinion."

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure Kings management is looking at Boston right now and hoping they can pull off something similar with Doughty/Carter/Kopitar/Brown/Quick being their versions of Bergeron/Chara/Krejci/Rask/Marchand. That's asking a lot since our vets on the whole didn't look anywhere near as good as their's this season. Then the question is where do we get our versions of Pastrnak/Krug/Debrusk/McAvaoy?

Might be more have no choice to see, vs. looking at. With the odds probably in favor of all those guys still being here come training camp, it's throw those old guys out there, hope some young guys can produce, and that's it. Trade the UFA's at the deadline. If they suck, great, get high picks. If they're in the race, maybe they can sell some more tickets. It's just going to be a slow wait until everyone but Doughty is gone. They can't tear it down in one sitting, so they'll try to put on a show(and since this is the Kings, it'll be very forced and cringey), and you just hope nobody does anything stupid. They can add all the Kovalchuk's they want. Give anyone paying money a little hope, that's fine. Just don't trade anything actually worth something in the future, and Blake hasn't done that. Maybe tried to, but it ddn't work, so just keep not doing anything like that.

I have no problem with Kopitar wasting the next 5 years here. He's not going anywhere next year. Likely not going anywhere for the 4 years after that. Until there is something, anything, saying that he wants to win again(and really win, not just oh obviously we want to win), or that the organization is unhappy with him and will make his professional life difficult on a day to day basis, why are we adding Kopitar in trades? He is as unlikely to move as anyone in the league.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kopitar and Doughty arent moving so just stop with that nonsense guys.. People are now pointing at the Bruins to how we should be but why not look at the Blues, a team that was battling us for last place mind you, as the type of team(s) we can be like?? We have a 1C, 1D and 1G.. some of you might not agree but thoss are facts!... We havent been sinking because age caught up to Kopitar, he scored 51 pts in 61 games after a shit start.. we declined because we've lost our depth, leadership(player & org) and Identity..

Some of you dont think a coaching change will do much to alter the performance of this club but let me tell you right here and now that this team is a playoff team.. We have a dozen kids that can fill the bottom 6 roles and be above average in said roles, some are ready right now, some will be ready in a few months.. You guys wanted more youth, speed and skill.. well we have that.. maybe not in the top 6 were we want it but we do have it.. I'm going into next season expecting a huge improvement and i'll be shocked if we dont see it...

I've been hard on guys like Iafallo and Grundstrom but look at the list of players that will likley be on the roster and take a useless vets job and tell me we shouldnt win at least 10 more games. We lost 20+ 1 goal games ...

Michael Amadio > Thompson
Austin Wagner > Lewis
Carl Grundstrom > Leipsic
Matt Luff > Clifford
Nikolai Prokhorkin- top 6 > Iafallo

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sounds like he’s on the Jason Allison road to recovery.

tenor.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar and Doughty arent moving so just stop with that nonsense guys.. People are now pointing at the Bruins to how we should be but why not look at the Blues, a team that was battling us for last place mind you, as the type of team(s) we can be like?? We have a 1C, 1D and 1G.. some of you might not agree but thoss are facts!... We havent been sinking because age caught up to Kopitar, he scored 51 pts in 61 games after a **** start.. we declined because we've lost our depth, leadership(player & org) and Identity..

Some of you dont think a coaching change will do much to alter the performance of this club but let me tell you right here and now that this team is a playoff team.. We have a dozen kids that can fill the bottom 6 roles and be above average in said roles, some are ready right now, some will be ready in a few months.. You guys wanted more youth, speed and skill.. well we have that.. maybe not in the top 6 were we want it but we do have it.. I'm going into next season expecting a huge improvement and i'll be shocked if we dont see it...

I've been hard on guys like Iafallo and Grundstrom but look at the list of players that will likley be on the roster and take a useless vets job and tell me we shouldnt win at least 10 more games. We lost 20+ 1 goal games ...

Austin Wagner > Lewis
Matt Luff > Clifford
You forgot to say, "in your opinion..." :)

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Fug, looking back on the Vilardi pick and seeing a kid like Christian Thomas and his contribution as a rookie for the Blues makes me wish we could have a redo.

Even guys like Martin Necas and Nick Suzuki who went with the next two selections after GV would be looking good right about now.

Oh well.

giphy.gif

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan here inquiring on the value of Toffoli.
I would assume he’s available?
What would the price be?
As a guy going into his final year, could something like a 2019 3rd, 2020 2nd and a prospect be of value?
If not, would a swap of a guy like Jake McCabe be of interest.

Also, Trevor Lewis. Does he have any value and could he be had in a deal?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
What would the price be?
As a guy going into his final year, could something like a 2019 3rd, 2020 2nd and a prospect be of value?

I don't know about the value of Toffoli. He's an inconsistent scoring winger who can't create offense by himself. On the surface what you offered seems fair though. Don't think the Kings would be interested in a swap.

Lewis is a guy who could be available, but it would probably be an overpayment because he's still a useful asset that I don't think the Kings would want to part with easily.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
What would the price be?

Bizarre...an AVs fan asked about TT on page 91....here's my response...changing the 'AVS' to the 'SABRES'

What's your goal? To tank, if your an SABRES fan...or you hate the SABRES? Why would you want the *450th NHL forward in shooting percentage? 5.8%. that is weak, easy to
play against, does not play with his linemates, and had 3 goals, 2 assists on the FIRST PP....not in one month...that's the entire year.

You can have him. Oh, and he's slow. so there's that too.

(yes, TT was 450th in shooting % for reals - look it up - for NHL forwards...his 5.8% shooting % would be #81 for defenseman...and a few spots behind the sharpshooter...MATT ROY)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Another sad but true fact. Since being drafted in 2017, Gabe Vilardi has not been on the ice for any of the development camps. He'll likely be missing his third dev camp this year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar and Doughty arent moving so just stop with that nonsense guys.. People are now pointing at the Bruins to how we should be but why not look at the Blues, a team that was battling us for last place mind you, as the type of team(s) we can be like?? We have a 1C, 1D and 1G.. some of you might not agree but thoss are facts!... We havent been sinking because age caught up to Kopitar, he scored 51 pts in 61 games after a **** start.. we declined because we've lost our depth, leadership(player & org) and Identity..

Austin Wagner > Lewis
Matt Luff > Clifford

You can cobble together 12 forwards. If Carter isn't the 2C, then nobody knows who is yet. They probably don't have a solid, no doubt 3C. Even the 4C options aren't a presence of any kind. Not enough substance. There's not enough scoring on the wings. The two best wingers have an average age of 35. Clifford and Luff don't play the same position, but whatever. The case can be made up front though. The defense is the problem.

It's Doughty, and the Kings have 1 playoff win in 5 years with him as the #1 with less defensive depth than in 2014. It's a borderline top 4 in Martinez, and the Kings have 1 playoff win in 5 years with him in the top 3/4 with less defensive depth than in 2014. It's everyone's favorite in Forbort. Whether Phaneuf is here or not, either way. Then it's a soon to be 27 year old LaDue who has holes in his game and hasn't been able to establish himself. It's Walker and Roy, who for all intents and purposes, are likely just warm bodies. At least they're RHD, as is LaDue, so you keep them around in the hope that they can do something, since RHD are invaluable. It's MacDermid and Brickley, who are again, likely just warm bodies. At least MacD might fight. Then anyone else that's worth the effort to care about is in their early 20's, and probably in no shape yet to help keep the veterans on the roster above water.

They're certainly one, likely two, and possibly three top 4D away from really being any sort of threat, and they haven't come close to replacing Voynov for 5 years. Now they have to somehow replace Muzzin on top of that. Martinez will be 32 before he plays another game, with just 2 years left. It's going to be a while.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
All that means is Jon Rosen knows squat about GV’s condition and the Kings are keeping a lid on it until perhaps he’s ready to play or he’ll never play NHL hockey at all. Place your bets!

I'm willing to bet they shut him down for most of the year again because there's no way that lack of conditioning will be good for him either.

Totally they're erring on the side of caution so I think he'll have a future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->