GWT: PL Round 34

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by hatterson, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Agreed on Vidal because he's almost past his best and requires huge investment with no consideration given to the future.

If they sign Milinkovic-Savic I will be sick. On current form of all their players he'd be their best midfielder and pretty close to their best player.

2. njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95 Help JJJ, Sprite.

Don't forget that it is an even shorter window this year. Not only does the PL window close on the eve of the opening match weekend, there is also the matter of the World Cup. While that may not impact our typical level of player we could attract, it will undoubtedly influence the market and when people will move and for how much.

I am sure you'd gladly be wrong 38 weeks in a row! I think today was the first time I was able to watch them win on TV since September or October. For one reason or another, I was pretty much relegated to Twitter to follow along. It had worked pretty well since late December at least!

As for the media, it will be really interesting to see what happens should we also win on Monday night. Man United giving the title to Man City and us beating a rather (away, at least) uninspiring Arsenal side probably won't make much noise; however, defeating Allardyce......

3. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

Yeah, I’ll agree on the second, though whether he plays him or sticks with Vidal and Matic or some random combination is up in the air.

I would hope Liverpool would also be in for him as they’re still going to be a midfielder light even with Can going

4. jacobhockey13

jacobhockey13 used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards

I've never seen any of our targets, but I really want them to buy Adama Traore assuming Middlesborough don't gain promotion through the playoff. Rafa was rumoured to be after him last summer and he's one of the fastest players in soccer globally.

5. maclean

maclean Registered User

6. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Schadenfreude is such a weird feeling to feel towards the manager of one's own team. But I definitely feel it when Mourinho loses.

maclean likes this.
  7. maclean

maclean Registered User

Well, when your manager seems to sideswipe his own players, staff, fans, etc., it's not such a conflict of interest as it might seem...

8. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Another note...Wijnaldum was fantastic again. His last 3 games have all been really strong, and he seems to be peaking at the right time of the season. I really think that infection he got affected his ability to assert himself this season at times. Should be interesting to see what our starting midfield is vs. Rome with all 4 of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner and Ox in great form. For me Wijnaldum and Ox should be nailed on but Hendo is captain and it would be pretty harsh for Milner to miss out.

Though this will be moot if Lovren is injured since Wijnaldum would likely play CB anyway, lol

9. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

He was much better this match. You are correct. He has come into it better, whether that's getting his footing back or getting back up to speed, he's improved.

10. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle ...so that happened.

Home Page:
    I don't know, Spurs may end up being hurt by goal differential.

11. hatterson

Software Developer
    Spurs have 5 games they should win easily.

Liverpool have 1 tough game (Chelsea), but also will be rotating players with the CL in mind. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Spurs finished 3rd and Liverpool dropped to 4th.

12. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

As soon as it became clear last summer that Ashley was hanging Rafa out to dry I resolved to try and keep myself occupied with other things. Then strains at work meant I needed weekends to restore my energy levels rather than put myself extra tension watching football, so I too followed results at one remove. Not that so doing wholly works- especially when the time was mired in that awful run.

But yesterday seemed in prospect a game simply to be enjoyed, win, lose or draw. And that's how it turned out. Without having sacrificed their discipline, you can see the extra freedom with which the players are now playing- hopefully that keeps going until the end of the season. Players, coaching staff and fans alike have earned it.

13. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

This was a point that hadn't occurred to me, so preoccupied had I been with matters short term. But it's an important point, and the story released to Luke Edwards about Ashley's desire to put the club up for sale as soon as Premier League safety was guaranteed hardly bodes well. Part of me wonders if even the purchase of Dubravka will end up being postponed, despite the fact it'd be a manifest bargain deal.

Twitter brought to my attention yesterday that NUFC are one of only two clubs yet to have released their 2016/17 accounts. Checking through recent years, they've tended to go public either the final week of March or the first week of April- and no later than April 6th. It's hard to conceive that delay augurs well either.

14. njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95 Help JJJ, Sprite.

I had been wondering about the delay too. Of course it won't look pretty but assuming Staveley did proper due diligence then she would not expect it to be good as she would've seen 2009-10 anyway. Can't see it being that a hindrance to her group but of course it could be to any others.

15. Savant

Savant Registered User

16. hatterson

Software Developer
    Yea, that should be a fairly straight forward ban.

And it definitely hurt Southampton a lot, especially with Swansea getting a point, and Huddersfield and Palace winning. They're 5 back of safety now and will have a heck of a time even getting 5 points the rest of the season, never mind the additional few they'll need when those other teams get points.

They've got tough away games left at Leicester and Everton and host City on the last day of the season.