GWT: PL Round 34

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

In Pogba's defense, he should be playing as a 10 in a 4-5-1 or as a 7 or 8 in a 4-3-3. He's being hilariously misused as a holding midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Outside of that, yes, he's been disappointing.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Valencia and young have offered absolutely nothing going forward. Desperately need new fullbacks.

Well and a manager that actually employs anything resembling tactics moving forward instead of just having players play pickup ball

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United play again on Wednesday and have the FA Cup game on Saturday so there was bound to be some sort of rotation in these two games before Saturday.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In Pogba's defense, he should be playing as a 10 in a 4-5-1 or as a 7 or 8 in a 4-3-3. He's being hilariously misused as a holding midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Outside of that, yes, he's been disappointing.

If he had managed to keep that early season form and not picked up that injury, his stats would look different. But reality doesn't play the "if-game"...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Auba and Lacazette on the pitch at the same time and we can only muster one fricken goal. Defencively we are the biggest train wreck in the league that is not in a relegation spot right now. Midfield is still a pathetic piece of display as well.

Never seen a manager do so little with all the talent on the pitch. Not only that, but never seen a manger have the funds that Arsenal does and play a midfield combo of El Neny and Xhaka.

Congrats to Man City though, money wins trophies now, but that is one title which their team absolutely deserved.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Valencia and young have offered absolutely nothing going forward. Desperately need new fullbacks.

Well and a manager that actually employs anything resembling tactics moving forward instead of just having players play pickup ball
His belittlement of Shaw in the media is a fireable offense with how Young's form has been.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
United are so boring under Mourinho. 4 shots on target against bottom of the league at home?

Get out of here.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
300+ million spent on players and score 1 goal against West Brom and hand your crosstown rivals the Premier League on a plate. Sick of this Bull****. Never thought I'd long for Van Gaal or Moyes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
300+ million spent on players and score 1 goal against West Brom and hand your crosstown rivals the Premier League on a plate. Sick of this Bull****. Never thought I'd long for Van Gaal or Moyes.

It’s not even the lack of a goal that bothers me. It’s 4 shots on target and IIRC only 2 of those were really dangerous.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ironic to say after United lose to WBA.
Yeah, I saw that...Mourinho was never a good coach because he never has the right players since he always gets fired. However, if you give him a team filled with a million Kondobigas' and Witsels' with just one Fernando Torres he can wreck leagues.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
United will likely spend quite a bit this Summer if Mourinho stays. I would expect him to revamp that back line, but it will be a question of who they can get in. Still you have to wonder what other managers could do with this side.

Utd just pulled a liverpool - beat the best team one week and lose to the worst immediately after.

I think some people made too much of that result.

Reactions: Gecklund

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Might want to use that "edit post" functions Stray! ;)

Haha

Just give Rafa a boatload of money. Somebody. Anybody. Just buy NUFC and put a printing press in Rafa's office.
It's so nice to be here after the hell of the past few years.

If they can keep chugging along then a mid-table finish will give us some crucial extra cash along with the sale of Mitro (Credit to him at Fulham; a decent World Cup showing will allow us to at least recoup the 13 million that we paid for him). There's no way we're going to be able to snap up Kennedy cheaply; Slimani's been very positive but we really haven't seen him.

So we'll have question marks in attack that'll have to be addressed in the window. Atsu's a nice option off the bench but he's not a starter in my mind. Ditto for Murphy at this point. Gayle isn't good enough if we want to take a next step.

Though Ayo doesn't have pace and honestly is not great at making decisions while dribbling, he's proven that he's a starter with his workrate, team play, and finishing.

I don't want Joselu anywhere near the pitch. If they can't terminate his contract switch his role to chef or video analyst.

Midfield is good and injury proof with Merino (who's starter quality) and Hayden on the bench. Defending and goalkeeping are good. Wouldn't mind bringing in another quality fullback, which Rafa is on the record as wanting to do.

Attack is what we need to sort out if we want to make real progress.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Thank you Baggies! Thank you Jay Rodriguez!

Kinda poetic justice really...Burnley native scores
the game winner at Old Trafford against Manchester United
which wins the league for Manchester City.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Obviously the answer will be to get rid of Mourinho. We need to cut the dead weight though. We need to sell Jones/Darmian, Blind, Rojo/Smalling, Shaw, Felliani, Lingard, and possibly Herrera. Bring back Fosu-Mensah, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. Bring in Manolas/Alderweireld/Marquinhos/Kalibouly/Skrinar, Sandro/Gaya/Rose/Kurzawa/Ghoulam, Fabinho/Jorginho/N'Zonzi. That's 3 players to bring in and 3 back from loan.

Our depth chart becomes a lot better
GK: De Gea, Romero, J. Pereira
LB: new LB, Young, Borthwick-Jackson
CB: Bailly, Lindelof, new CB, Smalling/Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe
RB: Fosu-Mensah, Valencia, Darmian/Jones
DM: new DM, Matic, McTominay, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe
CM: Pogba, Herrera?, Mata, McTominay, Gomes, Buffonge, Chong (might need to get a player here)
RW: Mata, Sanchez, Martial, Pereira, Rashford
LW: Sanchez, Martial, Rashford
ST: Lukaku, Rashford, Martial

Players that we could get to fill the last CM spot
CM: Zielinski, Fred, Wilshere

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Without him and people like him these games would be meaningless.

Waiting for Jussi to pull up the "we" comedy skit.

How many games did he attend this season or ever?

Was he a fan before Oil money took over?

Was he there when they were in lower leagues?

I am highly skeptical whether football wouldn't be any more meaningful without people like him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s not as easy as saying Pogba should be a #10. He has a problem that his position isn’t completely defined.

He has been poor this season. That’s the long and short of it. Some of that is the manager, but he needs to be better.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Obviously the answer will be to get rid of Mourinho. We need to cut the dead weight though. We need to sell Jones/Darmian, Blind, Rojo/Smalling, Shaw, Felliani, Lingard, and possibly Herrera. Bring back Fosu-Mensah, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. Bring in Manolas/Alderweireld/Marquinhos/Kalibouly/Skrinar, Sandro/Gaya/Rose/Kurzawa/Ghoulam, Fabinho/Jorginho/N'Zonzi. That's 3 players to bring in and 3 back from loan.

Our depth chart becomes a lot better
GK: De Gea, Romero, J. Pereira
LB: new LB, Young, Borthwick-Jackson
CB: Bailly, Lindelof, new CB, Smalling/Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe
RB: Fosu-Mensah, Valencia, Darmian/Jones
DM: new DM, Matic, McTominay, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe
CM: Pogba, Herrera?, Mata, McTominay, Gomes, Buffonge, Chong (might need to get a player here)
RW: Mata, Sanchez, Martial, Pereira, Rashford
LW: Sanchez, Martial, Rashford
ST: Lukaku, Rashford, Martial

Players that we could get to fill the last CM spot
CM: Zielinski, Fred, Wilshere
IMO Pogba and Mata aren't Mourinho players. Sell those 2 and get Vidal and SMS. And probably get Perisic as well since he's a good defensive winger.

In addition to getting a new CB and LB + getting rid of dead-weight as you suggested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad