GWT: PL Round 21

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This can’t be called a penalty with how close Chambers was to the ball. If Yoshida’s hand yesterday was not a penalty then this one is definitely not.
Yeah I’m changing my tune after seeing the replay.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Looked again. Don’t think that’s a PK.

I’ve seen worse PK calls this season but this is up there.

There may have been worse, but there was literally no indication for Mike Dean to call that a penalty besides "ball hit his arm, that's a penalty." It's like the post-match reporters said, he probably guessed and got it terribly wrong.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can't wait to miss out on top 4 by a point again this season.

Considering they will probably be in Europe until close to the end it will be by more than a point. They can still win the EL though and have to be considered in the top five favorites at the very least.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
West brom deserved f*** all. They didn't do anything all game.

Never been this mad since Mike Dean failed to send off Diego Costa a few years back.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Considering they will probably be in Europe until close to the end it will be by more than a point. They can still win the EL though and have to be considered in the top five favorites at the very least.
Id say they're top 3 favorites. I don't favor them in a match up with Atletico or Napoli though.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Beginning of the season: "Arsenal will be closer to Everton in 7th than the top 4."

Halfway thru the season: Arsenal is 1 point behind the top 4 (now 3 points after today's call). But yeah, please continue to write them off. The race for 4th is going to be a lot closer than you'd like to believe, even if they sell Sanchez.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We got Mike Dean'd, who is notorious of being one of the worst EPL refs in the modern era. Then booking Cech after Dean refused to answer his question tells us everything that needs to be said about this ****er. I hope FA got see what this pathetic man truly is.

However, the call wouldn't mean much if this was Man City who would probably put more than one ****ing goal against a relegation club. Extremely poor effort and it is the same way I criticize the Liverpool fans here after they whined about a bad call after putting 20+ shots towards scoring. Talent will always over come bad calls, especially in football where they happen weekly.

I mean, they might sell Sanchez this window and then it’s not happening for top 4 either way.
Sanchez might be scoring a lot lately, he has been beyond bad during the whole season. You can absolutely tell his heart isn't in for this team anymore and that dust up last game tells you everything. Selling Sanchez in Winter probably ONLY means that a replacement such as Lemar will be coming in. I can guarantee you that if Lemar is able to adjust to the EPL style, he will be a more important factor for getting Arsenal into the top 4 than any single goal Sanchez scored for us this season. Of course this is all "what-if" scenarios. The last report i read concerning Sanchez said he will finish his contract to summer and then will join Man City. Which makes Arsenal look like **** in letting a player like him leave for nothing....

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Bringing in a player and hoping that they will settle to a new league to get a team in the CL is a bit of a stretch of faith. Even if I think Lemar is pretty good.

They’re not done, but if they sell Sanchez, I think they are. Too many other clubs with more talent and depth. I do think they’re going to shoot for the EL route. Especially if they get a solid draw and advance another round.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bringing in a player and hoping that they will settle to a new league to get a team in the CL is a bit of a stretch of faith. Even if I think Lemar is pretty good.

They’re not done, but if they sell Sanchez, I think they are. Too many other clubs with more talent and depth. I do think they’re going to shoot for the EL route. Especially if they get a solid draw and advance another round.
Same "stretch of faith" you guys had with Salah? After a good two months, seems he adjusted quite nicely to the EPL...

Or in other words, anything is possible such as Lemar getting us to the top 4 or him turning into kdB before getting sold to the Bundesliga due to being bust. I think we will have to agree to disagree about Sanchez, Arsenal are one win out of 4th place with him playing like horse**** for majority of the season. And again, if summer tells us anything, Arsenal won't be selling him without a replacement. Personally, I want him gone for as much money as possible just to get rid of the cancer in the lockerroom regardless if there is a replacement in place. But Arsenal have shown that now they have funds from the OX deal to buy someone to allow Sanchez to be sold.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Beginning of the season: "Arsenal will be closer to Everton in 7th than the top 4."

Halfway thru the season: Arsenal is 1 point behind the top 4 (now 3 points after today's call). But yeah, please continue to write them off. The race for 4th is going to be a lot closer than you'd like to believe, even if they sell Sanchez.
Keep telling yourself that. It's still early. Lots of time for the top 4 to separate from Arsenal, who are clearly a step below the other 4/5 teams.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Keep telling yourself that. It's still early. Lots of time for the top 4 to separate from Arsenal, who are clearly a step below the other 4/5 teams.

And you keep telling yourself that too. Being "clearly a step below" has worked out for them pretty well so far I guess. They only dominated both Spurs and Man United (despite the loss), and they put in a great performance against Chelsea (draw) earlier in the season. They got outplayed by City and yet could have gotten a draw if not for a soft penalty and a goal that was 5 yards offside. One game against Liverpool doesn't create this huge gap that you seem to think is there.

More importantly, I trust Arsenal to take their points against the non-top 6 sides, because unlike Liverpool they can actually break down a parked bus. Some of you Liverpool fans have really let finishing 1 point ahead of Arsenal for top 4 go to your heads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad