GWT: PL Round 21

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The guys in the NBC studio were making the point that United’s attack doesn’t look like something that’s coached. It feels like Mourinho coaches them on the defensive side of the ball but basically relies on “go out and play” for offense.

It doesn’t look like there’s a coherent strategy. To many players making runs when no one is looking for them or two players making the same run at the same time.

Is that really a surprise?

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I dunno if January is a bigger month for what happens on the pitch or with the squad or with the owner.

Also should probably check in the Lower League thread as Newcastle's form has them headed there once again

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The guys in the NBC studio were making the point that United’s attack doesn’t look like something that’s coached. It feels like Mourinho coaches them on the defensive side of the ball but basically relies on “go out and play” for offense.

It doesn’t look like there’s a coherent strategy. To many players making runs when no one is looking for them or two players making the same run at the same time.

Early in the season some Sky Sports commentor, possibly Gary neville, said that Mourinho has given United players mostly free reign on offense.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mo Salah is amazing and I hope Mourinho isnt fired. His whining and moaning is so delicious. Blamed the referee for today's draw.
It’s Mourinho 101. If the media is talking about him, they aren’t talking about the deficiencies in his team.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I’m sorry but everyone else has to stupidly play 2 games in two days. It’s ridiculous. They should have at least moved it up a day like the Arsenal v Liverpool game. This is the worst and most dangerous stretch of the season and you cannot deny it’s a huge break for them.

And you completely missed that Tottenham play two games in two days too?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
And what about the week off?

Tottenham and West Ham plays the game that was rescheduled by The Met next week, which means that their next week is far more congested than the other teams. It is still a part of the "worst and most dangerous stretch of the season". In fact I'd rather want them to play the games just like the other teams, more consistently, instead of being thrown out in the fray after a weeks rest with three games in five days.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I did not notice that on tuesday.

I didn't catch that game, so I wasn't sure if VVD had played or not. But their defense looked good today, and even the commentators suggested they may not need a VVD replacement, but perhaps a depth CB. We'll find out soon.

And to be clear, it wasn't meant to be a shot at Liverpool or VVD. Same situation as Sanchez at Arsenal, who I'd like to see gone despite his recent form.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Tottenham and West Ham plays the game that was rescheduled by The Met next week, which means that their next week is far more congested than the other teams. It is still a part of the "worst and most dangerous stretch of the season". In fact I'd rather want them to play the games just like the other teams, more consistently, instead of being thrown out in the fray after a weeks rest with three games in five days.
Right but instead of the congestion being all League games, the last game for Tottenham is against Wimbledon. It’s an advantage. It’s okay to admit it.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Right but instead of the congestion being all League games, the last game for Tottenham is against Wimbledon. It’s an advantage. It’s okay to admit it.

Getting a good FA cup draw is obviously an advantage. Many more teams than Tottenham got a good FA cup draw though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not really. Every else is playing league games and Tottenham will be “congested” against a FA Cup tie against Wimbledon where they will play their B team. Tottenham made out. They made out on top here. No reason to pretend they didn’t.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Getting a good FA cup draw is obviously an advantage. Many more teams than Tottenham got a good FA cup draw though.
It’s not about who they drew. They can rotate for a Cup game instead of a league game. That is a huge difference.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It’s not about who they drew. They can rotate for a Cup game instead of a league game. That is a huge difference.

Isn't that rather flawed logic. What stops the other teams from rotating for the cup game to let select players rest for like 10-12 days? It's rather clear that Tottenham/West Ham got a longer break between their two games after christmas, whilst the other teams get a longer break between the games sandwiching the FA cup tie, the game where they can just rotate.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Isn't that rather flawed logic. What stops the other teams from rotating for the cup game to let select players rest for like 10-12 days? It's rather clear that Tottenham/West Ham got a longer break between their two games after christmas, whilst the other teams get a longer break between the games sandwiching the FA cup tie, the game where they can just rotate.
I don’t see it that way. Tottenham gets to rest twice in between Boxing Day and their FA Cup game. Every one else gets one. The pile up is December is also greater. I’d much rather have the schedule Tottenham has.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure if you interpreted my post correctly. I said the same thing. However the one break the other teams get is longer. I don't see anything particularly unfair with the entire situation.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
To me there’s a significant difference between giving guys free reign and just not coaching a system at all

Quite. Lest we forget, during the tragically brief reign of Sir David Moyes at Old Trafford, murmurings reached the media of players complaining that they received too little direction about what to do when they were in possession.

(Sam Allardyce at NUFC is another instance of these allegations seeping into the public domain of a coach forgetting to do 50% of his job. And given Newcastle's current ills, I'm bound to mention that Marek Hamsik accused Benitez of neglecting to teach his players enough about what to do attacking-wise at Napoli).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad